Thread: Trailering my RT

Trailering my RT

I've recently moved and I'm pained to have to trailer my RT to my new home/location. I have been trying all day to find a thread/device that was posted some time ago showing a system to secure the wheel(s) of the bike. It is a strap that extends left and right of the wheel with a heavy net looking thing wrapped around the top of the tire. Rather than messing with the suspension/springs, this secures the wheels down to the bed of the trailer. They were pricey but very effective. Please help, anyone know what I'm referring to?

BMW recommends compressing the springs as much as possible.

Some folks with lesser knowledge worry about the suspension.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

With something like this wheel chock from Harbor Freight....shown as an example-
    http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-69026.html
    you can bolt this to the front of the trailer and use a motorcycle tie-down such as my favorite- Ancra -
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...cessories.aspx
    You can do a fine job of moving/trailering your bike.
    Secure the chock to the front. Strap from the handle bar on each side to the front corners of the trailer. I like to advise "closing" the ends of the "S" hook with a wrap of electrical tape, just in case a really hard bump comes up. There is no problem with the straps going slack- just if they fall off. Some put a set of straps on the rear also.
    Good luck. OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

These are actually tie down straps that rather than strap it to the bike frame, it covers the wheel and holds it in place. I do have a chock for the front wheel and was just wondering where this was located again. I'm sure I saved the location, I've got bizillions of organized bookmarks for anything that interests me. Just don't know where the darn thing went to. These are also in car world, called wheel nets, but for bikes.

Compressing the motorcycle's suspension when tying down provides an excellent tensioner on the straps.
    It's easy and there is no downside.

read the owners manual...

....this is what it shows for the '09 RT.

I use the double loop extensions on top of the handle bar mount, then standard tiedowns at all four corners.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ken E.
    2012 R1200RT
    '09 RT, '93 K75, '69 R60US and others long gone....

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    With telelever front end, you can strap it securely by running straps over the cross brace, above the fender, or even the front a arm and cinch tight without compressing the suspension at all, as the spring is above those points.

Then a couple in the back at a shallow angle to stop side to side sway will barely compress the suspension either. Thing will not move and suspension will still let the bike bounce up and down over bumps.

This will give you a rock solid attachment, and NOT compress the suspension any more than riding it will, in fact less.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

I'm not very concerned with compressing the suspension. I'm hauling my bike through some pretty rough roads in NY, Cross Bronx Expressway and the trailer will be getting beat up pretty badly when it hits a NY pothole. See my concern?

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    The method I posted will give you a rock solid tie down.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Big44g
    If you search the Internet for BMW motorcycle tie down procedure you should be able to find the tie down PDF file with pictures on how to do it. I can't seem to attach it from my phone

Go here: http://www.grassrootsbmw.com/uploads/Tiedown2.pdf

I've done this when rescuing bikes for years. It works. The only thing I do different is just tie the rear wheel/tire down and let the back of the bike float on the bike suspension too.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Still a learning newbie !

I believe the gentlemen are right

I have been trailer and trucking sportbikes for about 10 yr now. I use canyon dancers on the front bars, a 2nd strap by triple tree and then straps to 2 attach points on the subframe in the back.

That was before I ever had a BMW.

The 1st time I did the same to my RT, and took off down the highway, I thought the bike was going through an exorcisim. Then I wondered If I needed one, from the way I saw the bike bouncing off and on against the straps. As the truck hit a bump in the road, the bars would dip...loosening itself from the tension on the strap and then pop back in place. It was almost a violent action / reaction.

A 20 min phone call to a buddy in Tennessee, and I went back and tied the bike as described above. Securing the front wheel and then the back wheel to let the suspension and bike respond and do it's thing.

I finished the trip just fine. The bike did also.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Go here: http://www.grassrootsbmw.com/uploads/Tiedown2.pdf

I've done this when rescuing bikes for years. It works. The only thing I do different is just tie the rear wheel/tire down and let the back of the bike float on the bike suspension too.
    +1
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

Charter Member "High Town" crew.

Thanks a lot guys, all of this info has helped enormously! -G

Uh...

...what's keeping that front tire from "kicking" sideways at about the same time, the same compression/release affects the back & the
    bike "skids-out", falling mostly on it's side till the high side strap reaches its catch point? I know someone that twice found the LT
    in the back of a SURV toyhauler laying that way. He told me..."you can't pick-em up that way" while strapped in; "don't ask me how I know"!