Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Owner (Cambridge, MA). First Problem!! 1990 K75C

Well, the diagnosis is in:

"we finally got it it last night looks like there is oil from 2 places, the main leak seems to be from the oil filter gasket, which we should have in stock, we are going to replace it the secondary leak is minor from the rear main seal (similar to an auto) the rear main seal is a big job tranny and clutch would have to be removed to repair that one. I will get back to you later today."

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by atz840 View Post
    Well, the diagnosis is in:

"we finally got it it last night looks like there is oil from 2 places, the main leak seems to be from the oil filter gasket, which we should have in stock, we are going to replace it the secondary leak is minor from the rear main seal (similar to an auto) the rear main seal is a big job tranny and clutch would have to be removed to repair that one. I will get back to you later today."

Thoughts?
    Hi Alex,

Sounds like an accurate diagnosis. ALL old Bricks eventually leak from the rear of the engine. It's usually not the rear seal (although it's usually replaced while in there just because it's a big job to get in there..) It's a $1.00 O-ring located behind a big nut that holds the clutch housing to the engine. It dries up and allows oil to seep.

My suggestion - wait on that one until you intend to take the bike off the road for a bit. I have never heard of a brick clutch getting damaged by that leak. Somehow the oil magically seems to miss the friction areas of the clutch. Any K brick where the O ring hasn't been replaced in 5 years or so is suspect, and the usual sign is a drop of oil at the weep hole at the very bottom of the clutch housing.

It's not quite a "forgeddaboutit".. it's more "whenIgetaroundtoit.." IMHO. It is a pricey repair (about 3-5 hours labor depending on if you have ABS or not), but it's a good time to check and lubricate the clutch splines (while you're in the area sort of thing..)
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Don, your assessment seems to be right on with the latest from the shop:

"we went ahead and replaced the filter gasket (we had one in stock) seems to be real good test rode and ran for 30 minutes. seems to be ok, the weeping for in the rear is very minor and does not need emmediate attention its either the tranny seal or the rear main seal, its a small weep hole under the tranny where the tranny meets the engine. these jobs are very extensive and could cost up to $1000.00 to repair. the entire rear end of the bike needs to come apart to do this job. so if it was me I would just keep an eye on it until it got worse."

So, bike is good to go for now, and next time I need services I'm definitely hitting up the forum first. Thanks to everyone for the tips and advice, and Tony I'll take a rain check on that offer. I'm out in Western MA from time to time, and as a rookie, would definitely appreciate a wrench lesson or a ride if you're up for it.

Alex,

It sounds like you have found a good, honest shop there. Naming them would be a good service for those in your area.
    Ron

91 K75RT ABS

Quote Originally Posted by roncooper View Post
    Alex,

It sounds like you have found a good, honest shop there. Naming them would be a good service for those in your area.
    Ah, of course. That'd be Greater Boston Motorsports, on Mass Ave in Arlington: http://www.greaterbostonmotorsports.com/