Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Motolights Halogen vs. Clearwater LED's - 2012 R1200GS

Cowboyatheart

Clearwater Krista's

Quote Originally Posted by tuckerman View Post
    Attachment 40282

Here's mine. I got the amber covers for the Glenda's to break thing up a bit.
    Looks like that in a drop (standstill drop, let alone a moving drop) the Krista's are going to hit first, damaging them and the fairing. True?

Are there any safer mounting areas that protect the lights and still provide the right lighting capability?
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

You're probably right about that since the mirrors will be the first to go. To be honest, to me fairing damage in a drop is secondary to seeing and being seen. From all I've read, the driving lights should be mounted as high as possible, and the lights used to be seen should be low. I've seen some under the oil cooler and that would be a safer place for the lights in a tip over.
    J.R., 2012 RT
    MOA #186976
    IBA #42334

2013 gsa

I have the clearwaters on my gsa and wired direct full on or off due to alleged wiring problems they work great

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by rhood1960 View Post
    I have the clearwaters on my gsa and wired direct full on or off due to alleged wiring problems they work great
    What wiring problems? I've mounted them on two GSes and a GSA with no trouble. They are simply fantastic!

Details, please.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

'11 R1200RT '12F800GS BlackDenis's Avatar

Denali D2s for me and...

I mounted mine inside the Wunderlich engine bars. Some of the pics above show the lights as being vulnerable in even a minor drop. If you slide, the lights won't make it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Degeneracy can be fun but it's hard to keep up as a serious lifetime occupation. R. M. Persig

RT in NC
    Is that high enough for driving lights? I am looking at the new erica lights. 6k lumens on 10 amp pull for both lights. However $$$$.

Clearwater KRISTA's & DARLA's

Just an update to my original post. The folks at Clearwater, couldn't be better, beginning with Glenn (owner) everyone was very customer orientated. My lights arrived very well packed with detailed color instructions. The only hiccup was the wiring harness was universal, not the specific to my GS. A call to Lorette at Clearwater quickly corrected the mixup and 2 day freight (covered by Clearwater) I had the specific harness.

First, I have zero electrical skills! I recruited an ole Florida friend who was in Michigan, the two of were able to install, wire the lights using the Clearwater detailed instructions without incident. The lights look great and function perfectly, using the recommended installation whereas high beam activation lights up the Clearwater light and the horn function feature are a real safety feature.

I can honestly recommend CLEARWATER products.

Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by 73516 View Post
    Just an update to my original post. The folks at Clearwater, couldn't be better, beginning with Glenn (owner) everyone was very customer orientated. My lights arrived very well packed with detailed color instructions. The only hiccup was the wiring harness was universal, not the specific to my GS. A call to Lorette at Clearwater quickly corrected the mixup and 2 day freight (covered by Clearwater) I had the specific harness.

First, I have zero electrical skills! I recruited an ole Florida friend who was in Michigan, the two of were able to install, wire the lights using the Clearwater detailed instructions without incident. The lights look great and function perfectly, using the recommended installation whereas high beam activation lights up the Clearwater light and the horn function feature are a real safety feature.

I can honestly recommend CLEARWATER products.

Michigan
    I couldn't agree more! I just took my Krista and Glenda lights from my RT to GSA. During Clearwater's busy time getting ready to head to the rally, Glenn was on the phone with me for a small bit of trouble shooting for a half hour until it was fixed. Their lights are pricey, but built extremely well and the customer service is second to none. If you're on the fence, just buy them!

Jon R.
    J.R., 2012 RT
    MOA #186976
    IBA #42334

I have Glendas and Kristas on my RT. Pricey as heck. Worth every penny.
    Rick Germain
    Rochester, NY USA
    2001 F650GS Dakar
    2011 R1200RT

I have the Darla's and, since I work second shift and leave work at 12:30 am, I really need them. My 45 minute ride home through farm land and state game lands is full of danger and these lights light up everything from tree line to tree line.

I also got a letter from Clearwater with replacement O rings. They upgraded to a better material and just sent them to me.

Great service and wonderful products.

Clearwater KRISTA's & DARLA's

It's done. I've installed Clearwater's KRISTA's & DARLA's on my R1200GS (2012). The entire purchasing experience with Clearwater was top shelf. Glenn (owner of Clearwater & Lorett) were the very best I've experienced at customer service. They get it, and I strongly recommend anyone looking to add aftermarket lights call them, you WILL talk with the owner, and get sound advice and support.

Now to the installation component, understand my electrical prowess is somewhere between zero and none. So I recruited a friend to help with the wiring. Installing the mounting bar for the KRISTA's and mounting the DARLA's was a breeze. The instructions provided by Clearwater was spot on. The wiring harness specific to my GS clearly marked with "little white tags" that directed you where to make contacts made the wiring even for me, easy. You are provided everything you need from wire ties, to posi-taps. The instruction booklet was written for guys like me, easy to follow and understand, not to mention in color..........

So the long and short of it, if you are looking to add lighting, do yourself a favor and give GLENN @ Clearwater Lights a call. Don't be surprised if your experience is every-bit as good as mine.

Michigan

The Motolights are almost indestructible and you can get LED MR16 bulbs if you want them...
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

Bob C
    Quote Originally Posted by motorman587 View Post
    Motolights for me!!! That is why every motor cop has them. I also know the owner............
    I also have MotoLights.. and with the Ushio 6500k 50W bulbs they can't be beat for conspic.. conpis... being seen..

Team those up with the HID 6500K Low Beams, and the 4000k high beam and I don't think anything can compete as far as being seen AND seeing at night.

In fact when I first installed the HID I had to turn off the High Beam on a ride home.. I REALLY didn't want to see ALL of those deer.

I wanted good driving lights to shine way down the road. Tried the led type and they were no good. Wound up with a perfect solution:

1. Replaced low beams with 6000k 35watt HIDs
    2. Mounted Hella FF50s under the mirrors.

Great in the dark.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Registered User RapidRoadRescue's Avatar
    Indian Creek, IL 60061 (AKA Vernon Hills, IL)
    I use those on my GS, upper 10W flods,great for day running in traffic and 16W spots, great for night riding.

And here 10W with PIAA 1100X

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot. Now, the guy who invented the second wheel... he was the genius.
    www.motorcycleworkshop.net
    www.rapidroadrescue.com