Thread: R1100RT Clutch Switch Removal - Tool?

R1100RT Clutch Switch Removal - Tool?

Couldn't find a previous message about this.

How does one unscrew the clutch switch on a R1100RT (99)? It is surrounded by the handlebar switch clamp, and quite tight. Needle nose pliers won't break it loose.

I'm getting ready to cut a groove in a 11mm socket... but maybe a tool exists for another job I'm not aware of???

Any advice will be appreciated!

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cjm View Post
    Couldn't find a previous message about this.

How does one unscrew the clutch switch on a R1100RT (99)? It is surrounded by the handlebar switch clamp, and quite tight. Needle nose pliers won't break it loose.

I'm getting ready to cut a groove in a 11mm socket... but maybe a tool exists for another job I'm not aware of???

Any advice will be appreciated!
    There is a tiny little screw. Underneath the switch. It's black and so is the housing so tough to see.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

You're thinking of the brake switch. The clutch switch you just break off the end and then use a deep (or better yet, cutaway) 11mm socket to remove the body. Thread the new one in lightly; no need to even tighten it because the cable will keep it from unscrewing.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

Clutch switch replacement

Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    You're thinking of the brake switch. The clutch switch you just break off the end and then use a deep (or better yet, cutaway) 11mm socket to remove the body. Thread the new one in lightly; no need to even tighten it because the cable will keep it from unscrewing.
    Thank you Anton.
    Once I removed the assembly it was an easy job, but I had to buy a thinner wall 11mm socket from Sears as the Mac socket wouldn't fit.

The 11 mm sears 6 pt 1/4 in drive deep well works well with a cut down one side to clear the wires. I needed to remove a good one from my parts bike so cutting the wires wasn't a good option.