Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Boot Recommendations

Jack Herbst
    SIDI canyons for winter and Revit summer boots.

Jack
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar

You can make any boot waterproof

I live in Seattle. I ski, kayak, hike, and ride in the rain. I know a little bit about staying dry and comfortable in wet weather.

While I think Gore-Tex is a neat material when used in jackets, pants, and gloves, in footwear it's a joke.

It helps to understand how Gore-Tex works: Gore-Tex fabric has hundreds of thousands of tiny holes ('pores' in Gore-Tex speak) in every square centimeter of Gore-Tex fabric 'membrane'. These pores are large enough to let water vapor pass through, but not large enough for water droplets. Thus, Gore-Tex "breathes" out perspiration while keeping out rain water.

However, these pores have an Achilles Heel: They can easily get clogged up with dirt. Gore-Tex loses its breathability when dirty. You might as well use rubber neoprene, as dirty Gore-Tex won't breathe. This isn't a big problem in a ski coat or with an Aerostich suit or with a pair of cold weather/rain gloves, as the dirt can be washed out in your home washing machine using modern detergents designed for high-tech fabrics (such as the Nikwax 'TechWash' product).

I've yet to hear of a product or technique for cleaning the Gore-Tex fabric embedded in boots. Within short order, the Gore-Tex fabric will clog up with dirt, and the membrane becomes impervious to water vapor.

However, any leather pair of boots can be made waterproof by using any one of a number of fine boot waterproofing products. I'm old-school and use "SnoSeal", but there are hundreds of other options. A liberal initial application and an annual reapplication will keep any leather boot waterproof for the life of the boot. These products work, are relatively inexpensive compared to the mark-up for 'Gore-Tex' boots, and will also protect and nourish the leather, prolonging the life of the boots.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerImpersonator View Post
    Within short order, the Gore-Tex fabric will clog up with dirt, and the membrane becomes impervious to water vapor.
    The goretex membrane on my boots is covered and protected by some pretty thick leather. I've had the boots about 9 years. They've been re-soled twice. So far my feet are still dry.

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    The goretex membrane on my boots is covered and protected by some pretty thick leather. I've had the boots about 9 years. They've been re-soled twice. So far my feet are still dry.
    A dirty Gore-Tex membrane won't let liquid water in - your boots will still be waterproof - but the material will no longer breathe, meaning moisture (water vapor) generated inside your boot stays inside your boot. If the leather has been treated with a waterproofing material, then the Gore-Tex is useless marketing fluff, as the water vapor can't permeate the leather, assuming it migrates through a clean Gore-Tex membrane.

This is exactly why Gore-Tex will always be nothing more than an unnecessary waste of money when used in footwear. In a jacket, pair of pants, or gloves, the Gore-Tex membrane is laminated or sewn to other fabrics that breathe - and can be cleaned. In a boot or shoe, you might as well laminate the Gore-Tex to neoprene rubber, because the water vapor will never make it through the impermeable waterproof leather outer layers.

If your feet sweat, and you want to get the moisture away from your skin while wearing m/c boots, the best option is to wear two layers of socks - a thin base 'wicking' layer (polypropylene/capeline/etc.) under a synthetic or wool boot sock. Make sure the boot sock extends far above the top of the boot. The exposed sock material above the top of the boot will actually wick moisture up the sock and out of the boot as you ride.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Been there...done that.

However, any leather pair of boots can be made waterproof by using any one of a number of fine boot waterproofing products. I'm old-school and use "SnoSeal", but there are hundreds of other options. A liberal initial application and an annual reapplication will keep any leather boot waterproof for the life of the boot. These products work, are relatively inexpensive compared to the mark-up for 'Gore-Tex' boots, and will also protect and nourish the leather, prolonging the life of the boots.
    I have a pair of Chippewa boots that I use SnoSeal on. I have walked across creeks, hunted in the rain, walked across muddy fields and bogs and never got a wet foot.

Those same boots in a driving rain at 80+ MPH on a BMW K100RS will take on water in the toe and discharge it out the top of the boot.

Perhaps the problem is my riding style?
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Smile

Just acquired a pair of TourMaster Solution 2.0 waterproof boots.

Excellent fit and craftsmanship, and best of all ........ they come in half-sizes and wide widths. Got them from MotorcycleGear.com

The 12 1/2's with a wide width fit great!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

WB5PLJ

Question

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaMac View Post
    Flip flops--no. A Pair of Clark desert boots which is what I wear off-bike about 80% of the time. I was going to an event where I'd be doing a lot of walking and as I pulled into the driveway, a LEO informed me I couldn't park there. I stopped, put my right foot out...it slid..and the bike and I did a slow "laugh-in" type tilt over. Foot bruised, Jesse bag has a slight war wound. Big deal! I just considered taking a picture of my blackened toes. Be thanksful I did not!
    But seriously folks ...I've been looking at the Aerostitch boots for a long time...and given the reccomendations here, I think I'll go that route. They're expensive but my feet are worth it.
    what is an LEO?

Quote Originally Posted by wb5plj View Post
    what is an LEO?
    Law Enforcement Officer
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

sold out

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post

Excellent fit and craftsmanship, and best of all ........ they come in half-sizes and wide widths. Got them from MotorcycleGear.com

size 11 wide...SOLD OUT. Great price if they had mine. They have 12 wide; are your boots short?
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

This is exactly why Gore-Tex will always be nothing more than an unnecessary waste of money when used in footwear. In a jacket, pair of pants, or gloves,
    Gore-Tex really needs the outside humidity to be less that the inside humidity- cross country skiing on a nice day is a perfect use. The Gore-Tex is actually a waterproof/water resistant sock. OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    size 11 wide...SOLD OUT. Great price if they had mine. They have 12 wide; are your boots short?
    Jerry - they are tall boots. Measure 11 1/2 inches from floor to top of boot.

Sorry you're having trouble, but with half-sizes and wide widths, they're a hot item right now - many suppliers having trouble keeping them in stock.

Try Competition Accessories or WingStuff.com - maybe better luck with your size.

ozonewanderer

Vendramini Marathon Steel Boots

I have been using a pair of Vendramini Marathon Steel Boots since 2007. I am not an adventure rider, but I have used these for at least 25,000 miles including a month long cross country (USA) trip. They have been, and remain, completely waterproof. My feet have never gotte wet despite riding in some horredous day long storms. They are comfortable in a wide range of temperatures. A description of these boots can be found at WebBikeWorld and here: (http://www.roadrunner.travel/2008/01...n-steel-boots/).

I had the soles replaced about a year ago by Dave Page, Cobbler (http://www.davepagecobbler.com/), and I would say the soles (Vibram) are now better than new.

My only complaints about them are:
    1) They are expensive ($399),
    2) The toe is a bit bulbous so they are not "cool" looking, and
    3) They are still going strong so I have no good reason to replace them to get something better looking.

ozonewanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by 32232 View Post
    Best boots I've had in almost forty years of riding.

http://www.tcxboots.com/eng/prodotti...hp?prodotto=10
    I noticed that TCX are the only boots the Motoport sells.

Bon Vivant

Boots

I ride in Sidi Canyons. Well-built, very comfortable, can walk in them all day, waterproof (no plastic bags required), no break in necessary, good soles (good footing), and they don't seem to wear out. - Murfee

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post

Followup on my own post. Just got back (June 14th) from a 12-state, 8-day, 3,000 mile motorcycle trip with these boots.

Went thru 4+ hours of drenching rain from New Orleans to Pensacola, and then some more showers in TN and KY several days later.

Feet were bone dry, comfortable, and the boots held up perfectly.

I'd strongly recommend these for your feet!