Thread: RT pumping white smoke on startup

Hybrid View

RT pumping white smoke on startup

Jumped on the bike this morning and a puff of white came out on start up... went away as it was running... until I hit the throttle again, and a lot more white smoke. CRAP!

- Let it cool down and let the oil settle and the oil in the glass has dropped from just over the mid mark (1600mi since oil change in March) to just under a quarter of the glass.
    - Pulled the plugs and they are both black
    - FYI in March the valves were done

I have a buddy coming over to help with a compression test and a air leak down test. Any thoughts? My first thought is piston ring, but then again I know very little about engines...

As much as this sucks, being there is a rally this weekend... at least it didn't happen on the road!!
    -Ride Safe & Avoid Anyone On The Phone-
    **2000 R1100RT (Bullfrog), 1976 R90/6 (Tadpole)**
    beemerFROG a.k.a. Douglas E. Rost
    MotoFrog.net -- Black Frog Marketing

Are you sure it wasn't only condensation i.e. "steam"? If it burns oil the smoke will be blueish, and it will get worse as the engine heats up and the oil gets hotter. If it was only condensation, it will disappear once the engine and the muffler warms up. As for the oil level dropping, if the oil didn't get to operating temperature it will take a very long time to get back to the sump.
    Andre
    .....teach us to number our days that we may gain a heart of wisdom.....
    Psalm 90:12

Andres,
    I don't feel it is steam because the "smoke" lingered in the garage, plus had a smell to it. Maybe my color is off, I will run it again and try to get a better grasp of the smoke color.

My buddy is coming over in an hour or so to check compression. I will update things then... fingers crossed.

No longer a member here
    I am not an expert on Oilhead engines, but my guess would be valve guide seals. Oil leaks into the cylinders and accumulates there when the bike sits. It burns off during start-up.

Mike, what would be the best way to diagnose if that is the problem?

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by derost View Post
    Mike, what would be the best way to diagnose if that is the problem?
    Process of elimination. Do a compression and leak down test. If those check out then, imho, its either valve guides or seals.

Did you pull the drain plug on the air box? That is how mine would sometimes act when I wasn't checking the oil right and was running with too much oil. The engine was fixing my mistake by pumping the excess into the air box.

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    How did you check valve guides?

They are still my guess. But I wouldn't know how to check these, other than eliminating all other problems

Just pull the heads, remove the valves, mic the stems and pin the guides - ok - not so easy

I wouldn't change the oil just to make sure there isn't too much. Pulling the drain and not getting more that a drip or two indicates that oil level probably isn't your issue. It also tends to rule out excessive blow by causing oil carry over through the breather or a clogged air filter doing the same.

Doing the side stand dance to carefully verify oil level and checking the air filter would still be on my list because they are easy, but I'm doubtful that the answer is there. After that, pulling the throttle bodies would probably be my next step. I'd probably pull them before starting the bike to look for oil on the intake valves or coming through the throttle bodies. If you don't see anything, I'd shut the bike down and pull the throttle bodies off during a smoky startup and look again. If you still don't see anything, I'd pull the exhaust and look for burnt oil on a valve.
    Last edited by rxcrider; 05-15-2013 at 03:52 PM.

oilhead smoke....

My 850r smoked a lot more than that on first morning start.

AND my 1100RT smokes about the same as yours...

Just ride it and enjoy!!!

Perry
    Perry Brokaw
    97 R 850 R :sold
    98 R1100RTL:
    98 R1100GS:

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by pbrokaw View Post
    Just ride it and enjoy!!!

Perry
    That's like telling the guy who has a constant light loss of air in a tire not to worry.....

From the video, it looks more like unburnt fuel. The way it started, sounded to me like it labored a bit. If you have an injector leaking down at the check valve, fuel pressure may leak down into the throttle body overnight. You mentioned both plugs were black, a definite sign of excessive fuel. If it was oil, they should be fluffy with black carbon and if yours have a dusty coating of black, that's fuel.
    The way it labored on start up can sure be a sign of a very rich start mixture, which could be caused by restricted air intake, a dirty filter comes to mind and would more readily explain two fouled plugs against my thought of leaking down injectors. Either should be easy to prove with a look at how much vacuum each cylinder has. I just can't see two injectors crapping out at the same time, unless the problem was gradual. Either way, diluted crankcase oil will only tell you have a problem. Do the blotter test to see.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

Talking Ride It!

Go have fun!! Ride it! Keep the RPM's up, just to add to the smile! Not because of the engine, it doesnt care!
    while you pass!

Rally Rat
    I think its oil.

Fuel burns black.
    Oil smoke is blue.

Smell it. Oil or gas?

Black spark plugs right after start up is not that big of a deal. The engine runs much richer for cold start.

I think it should be ridden for a while before panic sets in, its only light smoke and its only on start up.

Check the oil frequently (I seem to check mine too much) and ride the bike.

When I took my RT apart after 130,000 miles, the cylinders looked good, the ring ends were all lined up on top. I have been told on the internet the rings tend to rotate as the engine runs and it could have been dumb luck or just the way it was.

IF your rings do rotate a little as the engine runs they could be lined up on the bottom.
    IF this is true then in time they will rotate to some where else.

I have no idea if this is true.

BUT I think you should ride the bike and give it a chance.

More ifs.

IF you did get a good dose of oil in the cylinder head, it found its way into the cat and takes a while to burn off.

Both of my BMW bikes have on occasion done this. It would leave a huge cloud of smoke in the morning or after a long hot hard run then parked on the side stand. To clear it out of the cat, the bike needs to be run hard again or it may continue to smoke until its burned out.

I had the valve guides replaced and a complete valve job on my oil head at 130,000 miles and it did not need it.

Engine wear does not take place all at once.

David
    30 year mechanic

I had about 3 minutes of white smoke once. Never again. Wonder if cat converter turns oil smoke white?

Maybe the random occurrence of having the ring gaps aligned on the bottom will still allow oil past while on the center stand.

I'd ride it, not because I'm lazy, because I think it will cure it.

New Oil = No Smoke

Again, thanks for all the reply's. (Once again I have to say it...the helpfulness and camaraderie of this group is second to none!)

Not sure why, but last night I decided to go ahead and do another oil change. Bike was plenty hot (5 bars), and I just did the oil, no filter. Did a little ride last night, then had it on the center stand all night. This morning... you guessed it... NO SMOKE!

So what does that mean... there were just some bad bavarian gremlins that needed to get flushed out?

Bottom line.. I will ride it... in fact, ride the snot out of it! This weekend is Soldiers Grove, and rain, thunder, or smoke, I'll be there.

Thanks again for all of the insight.

One other question while we're here... the bike is a 2000 with 48k... and what point should I expect the failure of the mentioned potential issues? (valve seals, head gasket, etc.)