Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 75/5 starter problem

The kick starter has never been too ... thorough ... on my /5. It just can't get enough spin in the engine really light it off. It will start the bike, but I don't feel to confident using it. I know, like on the pre-electric start Harley's, that the state of tune of the engine plays a big part in being able to kick start it. There are a couple of YouTube vids on starting the /5, in one of them I'd swear the guy just lets his foot drop on the pedal and it lights off.

More than anything, the kick starter is a conversation piece among my riding buddies. It's somehow unnatural for them to see a kickstarter perpendicular to the motorcycle.

found it

then there's...

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

I had to cringe at the process by the R65 guy...whoowee...that seems like a disaster waiting to happen. All it will take is one time for the internal teeth not to match up with him jacking on the kicker to ruin his day.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Thought you'd enjoy that. My reaction too...
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

rssllkaplan

Thanks all around

Thanks for the excellent help. I will concentrate initially on the battery.

But I note it is only about a year old, and cranked quite well the day before it would'nt crank at all.

I will post the results when problem is isolated and solved.

Concerning the kick starter, I have no insight into how robust it is, but I have used it extensively for many years. I often use it to "prime" the bike, before relying on the starter motor. It is a technique that I developed over the years. I have learned that when the engine is stone cold, a few primer kicks usually translates into an immediate start with the starter, while with the starter alone , as pertains to my particular /5, cranking time and intensity before turning over has varied alot, and a few times left me in some odd locations and times of day with a bike that wouldn't.

Regards all around for the upcoming Memorial Day Weekend.

Russ