Thread: Maps with GPS?

Hybrid View

Maps with GPS?

For extended trips, wondering if most folks with a GPS will still have paper maps for backup/supplement? If so, what paper maps are most popular when it comes to size (i.e.- fold up, spiral bound, etc.), and supplier (AAA, Michelin, Rand McNally)? I will be going cross country, so interested in others opinions on this. shying away from buying a spiral bound type due to it's bulk. Thanks...

Maps are way better than a GPS for planning, or even deciding on spur of the moment back roads. GPSes are great for getting you through a city or to an address at the end of the day.

The AAA maps tend to have too little detail for my tastes, but a big spiral bound atlas is too large for a tankbag and takes up a lot of room in a saddlebag. It's a conundrum. I've generally brought along a handful of the AAA maps. In Europe I've used the Michelin maps, which are excellent (and there are other producers there that I like even more; Falk comes to mind), but I haven't tried them here.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

I hit each State's website. Usually on the tourism or Dept of Transportation site they have a PDF version of the state map. I save that on my laptop or ipad for looking at stops on the road. I also will print out sections of the maps that I'll be traveling for putting in my tank bag. The nice thing about PDF files is that you can zoom in and still have a sharp printout, ie it doesn't pixelate like a jpg image file. Example: http://www.txdot.gov/driver/travel/maps.html

I've not found a large country wide map that works as it comes. In Texas I use the Roads of Texas atlas and just photocopy the pages I'll need so I have a set that I don't mind writing on. Plus it packs smaller.
    Rusty
    Austin, TX
    Two Wheeled Texans
    2009 R1200GSA

GPS, better have backup

I had my GPS die on the road. I usually have a laptop with Street and Trips for planning. I try and carry maps for area I venture into.
    I use the GPS but not the roads and keep them in the tank bag window just in case.
    Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

On trips I ride with the GPS zoomed in fairly close (usually about 500 metre scale) for detail at turns and with a map in the tank bag for the "big picture".

That way you can ride for half a day without having to make any adjustments.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I'm a huge fan of Delorme map books, very easy to use, at least for me.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)