Thread: How to open the city bags?? from stumped

Loading the Bike

How to open the city bags?? from stumped

Having trouble opening up city bags on aRTP I just got.. Know the trick??

Sorry I can't help, but you might get a better responce on the Oilhead Page.

Good luck!
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

When I got my R1200ST last year, I photocopied the luggage page out of the manual so I could easily refer to how to open the cases. Then I developed a mnemonic: "left - right" / "right - left".

So, when I open the left bag, I turn the key to the right, and when I open the right bag, I turn the key to the left. Easy peasy, and I don't have to carry the page anymore.

Don't know if this will work for an RTP.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Please be more specific - what year, 1150 or 1200 (it makes a difference), is it both bags (sounds like it from your post)? Is the key not turning? (Pick it, Google can show you how, and either have a "European" locksmith or your local dealer replace the tiny little finger tabs.) Or are the locks ok and the lids are stuck (probably old rotten gaskets won't separate)?

See also - http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/baglockmod.shtml

As this looks to be more oilhead related.....off to the oilhead section of the forum. OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Loading the Bike

Found the answer>>> Problem was with opening city bags on a 2004 R1150 RTP.

Problem was with opening city bags on a 2004 R1150 RTP.

The bags lock on to the bike via the luggage handle.
    Put the key in the lock and turn it to open the latch. (You can not see the latch) now lift up on the bag handle and it will pop come up like a normal pies of luggage. The bag can now be lifted off the bike if you wish.
    Now to open the bag... there is a flat piece about 1/8 inch thick under where the handle originally was.. lift this piece up and the bag will pop open!!
    to close the bag an lock it to the bike reverse the process
    MAKE SURE.......... the key is not turned before the handle is pressed back in to the flat position or you will break the lock latch.

Sure is tricky business..

sure hope you figured out that you don't have to remove the bags to open them. you can just lift both handle pieces at the same time, and bag stays on bike, but is now open.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Somebody tried to "open" one of mine in Mexico one night(under the guard of this old man-) and they bent the orange thingy that locks them or at least shows when locked. I had to bend it with pliers to open them & luckily the pliers were no in that case.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.