Thread: K1 Prices

No longer a member here

K1 Prices

A 1990 Ketchup and Mustard K1 with 4,600 miles just sold on ebay for over $13,000.-
    Seems like mine was a good investment after all.......

The one one eBay that sold was immaculate with something like 4k miles and sparkling paint work. Not to say other K1 won't raise in value, which it certianly will, but that one one eBay was as perfect as I have ever seen in the last few years. Now low mile doesn't equate great condition, but it sure looks good.
    Chuck
    Current: 1985 K100RS
    Previous: 2002 R1150GS, 1990 Suzuki VX800, 1993 Honda CBR600F2, 1988 Honda CBRF, 1978 Honda Passport

No longer a member here
    I agree, it was in great condition. But still, I ahve not seen a K1 selling for over 10K in quite a while. And I walked into the garage and looked at my K1 (7,000km, German model) and it doesn't look much worse than the one that sold.

Makes me feel good about my project going on now in my shop
    1990 K1 with 8000 miles
    paid $3000 for it one $650 order for parts so far
    the paint and body work cleaned up great and no cracks anywhere
    I just like the blue and yellow better.
    Ernie

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by E.L. Buff View Post
    I just like the blue and yellow better.
    Ernie
    It's just that the red and yellow ones were faster....

There's a local one here with 5,347 miles advertised for $4500. "Needs work," though it certainly looks nice.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/3777420389.html

Just wondering what makes the K1 so special?

I own the "sister" bike; 1992 K100RS. Very similar as they share the same Owner's Manual. Of course, different body work. When I bought mine a few years ago from a dealer for $6000 it was in pristine condition and had 12K miles. Figured I paid way too much but, hey, this was a replacement for a totaled K75RS which I loved. (K75 modified by original owner; VERY difficult to replace.) Still love the KRS fairing and apparently not the same shaft drive problems as earlier K's. Of course more (and un-needed) power and a higher insurance bracket where I live. But can't see ever selling it until I quit riding.

Is it just possible (if it remains in good condition) that this bike will be worth more in 10 years than I paid for it? Just asking; I don't really care. Good to have a $6000 love affair which my wife knows about and doesn't seriously disapprove of, even though I do have to pay several hundred dollars a year to insure her and look after her health needs.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

No longer a member here
    Just wondering what makes the K1 so special?
    Quote Originally Posted by BCKRider View Post
    I own the "sister" bike; 1992 K100RS. Very similar as they share the same Owner's Manual. Of course, different body work. When I bought mine a few years ago from a dealer for $6000 it was in pristine condition and had 12K miles. Figured I paid way too much but, hey, this was a replacement for a totaled K75RS which I loved. (K75 modified by original owner; VERY difficult to replace.) Still love the KRS fairing and apparently not the same shaft drive problems as earlier K's. Of course more (and un-needed) power and a higher insurance bracket where I live. But can't see ever selling it until I quit riding.

Is it just possible (if it remains in good condition) that this bike will be worth more in 10 years than I paid for it? Just asking; I don't really care. Good to have a $6000 love affair which my wife knows about and doesn't seriously disapprove of, even though I do have to pay several hundred dollars a year to insure her and look after her health needs.
    By the same token, you could ask what makes a R90S so special....If you use the practical approach in assessing the "value" or "attraction" of a bike like this, you may have a hard time coming to a conclusion.
    I understand, technically, there is not much difference between a K1 and the "sister" models. But.... the K1 was made in limited numbers, it had unique bodywork and colors, in the early years it had a 4-valve engine compared to the contemporary RS, it was intended by BMW and was and is commonly perceived as a "milestone" in the motorcycle world. All things that do not apply to an RS. Not that an RS is not a good bike, but I don't think a 1992 K100RS will ever be much more than $6,000.

Innkeeper

Cool The coefficient of paint color drag

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Didn't think that was possible but will defer to you for advice.
    What color should my R1150RT be painted to make it faster than the others?

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by INNKEEPER22 View Post
    Didn't think that was possible but will defer to you for advice.
    What color should my R1150RT be painted to make it faster than the others?
    Some of the R1150RTs offer an easier way to make them faster. There is a certain amount of bikes that were produced (check Phil Hawksley's listing of VIN numbers) which have a couple of horsepower hidden in the small compartment that normally takes the radio. Just open the lid and they will come out. You will outrun all other R1150RTs!

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    maybe I should get a faster red and yellow one to have in the shop for days when I feel the need for speed
    but how do I keep the wife out of the shop I think she will notice a color change every time I leave the house!!!
    Ernie

I can't help but chime in here.

You can be sure of one thing: If Mike Simon says it, it is true!

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMMYLEE View Post
    I can't help but chime in here.

You can be sure of one thing: If Mike Simon says it, it is true!
    Jim: Sometimes it is hard to be right all the time