Thread: RS Fork Gaiters

RS Fork Gaiters

What's the best adhesive to install new fork boots on an RS fairing? I recall it used to be an issue.
    Don Braasch # 9049
    2003 K1200RS 1981 R100RS
    1974 R75 "S" 1977 R60/7

I would say use Permatex Super Weatherstrip adhesive. Another glue I've been using lately for various around home jobs is Gorilla Glue...it expands a bit when used so that needs to accounted for.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I have had good luck with super glue too. It is what my dealer recommended when I put new ones on my RT.

James.A
    On this very same application I used a product called "3M PLASTIC AND EMBLEM ADHESIVE", #08061. I use it on all kinds of rubber to plastic applications. A 5oz. tube is about $25 at NAPA. You can generally tell how good a product is by how awful it smells. The warning on this product states;

DANGER! extremely flammable liquid and vapor. Vapors may cause flash fire. May cause allergic skin reaction.

yeah,....the good stuff....I'm getting a head rush just thinking about it...heinous chemicals

After cleaning the groove with some type of solvent, I used about 6 drops of super glue at equal spacing around the boot.

Thanks all. I remember back in the day some buddies (and dealers) had trouble with this. I've also seen fairings all goobered up with all colors of adhesive. I'll sniff out your recommendations.
    Don Braasch # 9049
    2003 K1200RS 1981 R100RS
    1974 R75 "S" 1977 R60/7

Sniffing the glue...is that a good thing to do?
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    I would say use Permatex Super Weatherstrip adhesive. Another glue I've been using lately for various around home jobs is Gorilla Glue...it expands a bit when used so that needs to accounted for.
    As a life long woodworker I tried Gorilla glue-more than once- some for woodworking & do not like the stuff for lots of reasons! I did in fact read an article that tested various glues & it actually is less water resistant than some other much less expensive & far easier to use wood glues-point being, I'd stick with the Permatex/3M type weatherstrip products mentioned around that much water. You don't want to be removing Gorilla glue form that MC.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Shoe Goop.
    Helmut always wears a Helmet.

James.A
    Quote Originally Posted by helmut_head View Post
    Shoe Goop.
    Amazing that you would mention that. Shoe Goop, more specificly "Kiwi Shoe Patch" is another product that gets used on my projects