Thread: whats the best grip add on cruise control product out there

whats the best grip add on cruise control product out there

I'm considering purchasing a Throttlemeister cruise control.
    Does anyone have any experience installing / using one of these on a 2002 1150RT ?
    Any other ones that should be considered ?
    Thanks

Have one on my 2002 rt. Works as advertised. Only one small issue. If you adjust the grip clearance too tight during install, your grips will drag after heated grips are on for a while. The grips expand under heat, so adjust accordingly.
    Lynn
    2008 BMW R1200RT (most fun you can legally have)
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/kaoko...r-r1100gs-r850

Works pretty good on my Kawasaki.
    Lynn
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

Quote Originally Posted by lbarbee View Post
    Have one on my 2002 rt. Works as advertised. Only one small issue. If you adjust the grip clearance too tight during install, your grips will drag after heated grips are on for a while. The grips expand under heat, so adjust accordingly.
    My long rides will be mainly during the warmer months so shouldn't be too much of an issue.
    But will adjust to your recomendations.
    Thanks

Lynn, that one looks good too. Pretty similar. I'll look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Kim View Post
    I'm considering purchasing a Throttlemeister cruise control.
    Does anyone have any experience installing / using one of these on a 2002 1150RT ?
    Any other ones that should be considered ?
    Thanks
    I've run either Kaoko or Throttlemeister on the last 6 BMW's. I had one on my 03' RT. They are both easy to mount and set up. They work the same, other than you may find as I have that the Kaoko is easier to engage and disengage due to the notches that make it easy for your pinky in a glove to rotate the control. The Throttlemeister is just a bit harder to rotate due to how smooth it is.

The one big plus with Throttlemeister is you can take it off for use on your next bike and just order a new fit kit for about $20.00. I just did this for my new R and the kit arrived in 3 days, great service.

Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    I've run either Kaoko or Throttlemeister on the last 6 BMW's. I had one on my 03' RT. They are both easy to mount and set up. They work the same, other than you may find as I have that the Kaoko is easier to engage and disengage due to the notches that make it easy for your pinky in a glove to rotate the control. The Throttlemeister is just a bit harder to rotate due to how smooth it is.

The one big plus with Throttlemeister is you can take it off for use on your next bike and just order a new fit kit for about $20.00. I just did this for my new R and the kit arrived in 3 days, great service.
    Milled versions are available, but I would tend to agree on the Kaoko. The TM is just so well made, it is a work of art.
    Lynn
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

Note that some rotate clockwise to lock and others rotate counter-clockwise to lock. Direction taken from looking in toward the center of the bike from the end of the handlebar.

I *think* the Wrist-Rest and Wunderlich rotate clockwise to lock where the Kaoko and Throttlemeister rotate counter clockwise to lock. I may have that wrong. In any case make sure you are happy with the direction of whatever device you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    Note that some rotate clockwise to lock and others rotate counter-clockwise to lock. Direction taken from looking in toward the center of the bike from the end of the handlebar.

I *think* the Wrist-Rest and Wunderlich rotate clockwise to lock where the Kaoko and Throttlemeister rotate counter clockwise to lock. I may have that wrong. In any case make sure you are happy with the direction of whatever device you choose.
    I would have thought they would all release when rotated clockwise as a safety feature. ie when you let of the gas.

I use a Throttlemeister on my 2002 RT and it works fine.
    Before that I have used a cheap (off the pegboard) band clamp device I liked better. Rocky/Tucker?
    I did fabricate a small change to clean up installation.
    The thumb toggle on it just felt a lot more natural than the Throttlemeister.
    Either work fine.

I am currently using a Throttlemeister on my 04 Rockster.

Prior to that I used rubber O rings from the hardware store to create the friction to maintain throttle position. Problem is I kept losing them & figured the cost of reusable throttlemeister was better than the constant purchase of O rings.

I just installed an Excel throttle Control after looking at all the options. Great product and Tom Dowell is very helpful .

Simple install

http://www.excelthrottlecontrol.com/index.htm
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post

I had a Wunderlich and it does rotate the other direction. I hated it; I sold it in short order and got another TM

Quote Originally Posted by sloride View Post
    I just installed an Excel throttle Control after looking at all the options. Great product and Tom Dowell is very helpful .

Simple install

http://www.excelthrottlecontrol.com/index.htm
    I like the look of this one.
    I like the fact you can easily turn it off. Also the on the fly friction adjuster.
    Thanks for the info.

Kaoko

I have used Kaoko,s on two BMWs now, very easy to install and use.