Thread: 2012 R1200RT fuel gauge on vacation

Mr. Jim

2012 R1200RT fuel gauge on vacation

My almost new (approx 4K miles) 2012 RT is telling me that I have a full tank of gas all the time. This bike is suppose to have the float system and not the fuel strip. It was fine when I put to sleep last fall (I also removed the battery at that time). This spring after replacing the battery everything but the fuel gauge is working as it was last fall. I can take it to the dealer (150 miles) but I thought I'd try this forum for its collected wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by 28024 View Post
    My almost new (approx 4K miles) 2012 RT is telling me that I have a full tank of gas all the time. This bike is suppose to have the float system and not the fuel strip. It was fine when I put to sleep last fall (I also removed the battery at that time). This spring after replacing the battery everything but the fuel gauge is working as it was last fall. I can take it to the dealer (150 miles) but I thought I'd try this forum for its collected wisdom.
    If its still under warranty take it in. Stuff like this you want to have documented.

Question

I wonder if some of the fuel has gotten gummy around the base of the float? Maybe some type of fuel system cleaner (STP, etc) in the tank with the next fill up would loosen any goo?

Maybe call the dealer and see if they can give you some advice?

Good luck!

DBC
    Thank a teacher if you can read this, thank a veteran that it's in English.

D.B.Casey-MSF#133889
    2011 RT

Well, it's probably time to read "BMW Motorcycle Reliability Quality Support Failure" above in this forum. My fuel R1200 GS's gauge is
    variable...so I'm just watching the odo... Then again, it's seven years old.... Mac
    Mac
    1986 R80RT, 2005 R1200GS
    Livin' Large On The Lake

Same thing happened to my 2011 RT while on vacation. Take it to the dealer. That's the only fix I know. I was as well disappointed that my float was as unreliable as the strips.

It's new so take it in. Maybe BMW will address this issue once and for all. I had mine changed once (2010RT) and so far it's good. I had the old SM at the dealer once tell me about avoiding certain gasoline and even tell me that I should be careful when touring thru New Mexico because they have bad gas. Ha! I told him that I had little control of the gas at different pumps and where we stopped for gasoline. He is no longer at the dealer.

tsp
    My blog:
    http://www.airheadmoto.com