Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you park your motorcycle on the sidewalk?

Regardless of what you think of this kid, the cop is an arrogant jerk and his attitude reflects negatively on other officers.

He's breaking the law (at least as far as I interpret it), and he doesn't give a rat's behind.

Does a cop not have to give his badge number if requested by a citizen?
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

I spent the day running around for work and kept bumping into this thread in practice. FOL University has several areas that are sidewalks and designated motorcycle parking. The sidewalk next to the FOL paper's N side is posted for motorcycle parking as is one place in frequented in down town. Had a chance to talk with a parking enforcement officer (we were meter maids or parking monitors when I worked as one in college) and his response was ...it depends on signage, but motorcycles are expected to follow the same parking rules as cars unless otherwise signed.

As to the kid or the cop being jerks - who knows based on that limited input?
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Parking

I have to say it depends where you are, the grocery store where I frequent encourages me to park under the portico, which I do when and if there is space for cars to get past me. Its about 20 steps to the door. Some cities nearby have stricter rules, one needs to be aware of this local attitude. The city in which I live has better things to do than worry about where I park my bike, however I do show respect and never park in front of a store of which I am not going to enter, unless its vacant. And I never park where I obstruct those walking. I once parked on a walkway in front of a city marina, once inside the cop who was hanging out there said to me "I can give you a ticket for parking there" I said "yeah I know but I doubt if you will as I can be out of here before you can write it". So he left without another word. Again caution and common sense, the hell with the dudes that say I am lazy. I almost guarantee you if you go to a classy hotel with a super car or motorcycle the valet will park your ride in front of the front door. Tip necessary.....
    Gene T

Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    Regardless of what you think of this kid, the cop is an arrogant jerk and his attitude reflects negatively on other officers.

He's breaking the law (at least as far as I interpret it), and he doesn't give a rat's behind.

Does a cop not have to give his badge number if requested by a citizen?
    As I said earlier, to each their own on this 'bait & switch' post. It's designed to morph into cop bashing - not an unusual occurrence on this Forum. I'll just try to answer your questions.

"He's breaking the law......." So does every one of us every day when we go 26 MPH in a 25 MPH zone. As cops, we 'forgive' many transgressions in 8 hrs. of patrolling - speed, not signaling at least 150' (WI) before a turn, rolling stops, not turning into the correct lane - the list is endless. The bummer is there are no stats for all the violations we let go - only the ones we don't.

It's all about degrees of tolerance. We 'citizens' demand it from the cops, but rarely extend the same courtesies to them. Instead, we dominate this Forum with discussions of speeding, radar detectors, beating the 'rap' in court, the 'injustice' of red light cameras, etc. While LEO's are held to a higher standard in many areas of behavior, they also risk far more than 90% of everyone on this Forum does on a daily basis, so that we can sleep secure at night.

I don't really care if that officer was getting a slurpee, interviewing a witness, calling his kids to say he'll have to miss another school event or taking a whiz - in big cities, motor officers can't afford to park their cycle 1 1/2 blocks away - and then be expected to respond to an emergency call. While I too see he was annoyed by this kid, I hardly find this to be an example of horrific abuse of police authority - unless that is all one sees whenever they observe the police. It's the old adage of "If all you've got is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail."

As for giving up a badge number, that varies from department policy to department policy. There is no 'law' that specifies the detail of how we identify ourselves. As for 'genius kid,' the badge number is .....duh..... on the badge, in plain sight - never concealed by the officer - on his video, not to mention he could have filmed the license number of the cycle if he wanted to - not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

None of this will appease those who always view law enforcement in a negative context. As LEO's, we learn that paradox before our first year of duty is in the books - the door never swings both ways. We then spend the rest of our careers living with that 'fact.' Some say there's no such thing as an honest cop. Given the "26 in a 25 zone" analogy, there's really no such thing as an honest citizen. Like I said - degrees of tolerance.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Bait & switch???

Hello Greenwald,

"He's breaking the law......." So does every one of us every day when we go 26 MPH in a 25 MPH zone. As cops, we 'forgive' many transgressions in 8 hrs. of patrolling - speed, not signaling at least 150' (WI) before a turn, rolling stops, not turning into the correct lane - the list is endless. The bummer is there are no stats for all the violations we let go - only the ones we don't.

I assume you are a LEO, you have my respect and I know you have job to do. But don't give us that BS about breaking the law, I see every day that I am on the road police officers in their marked cars doing exactly what you have listed above. Plus not using turn signals, not turning on there head lights when their wipers are on (FL state law) Parking marked their take home cars in front of their homes (city code says no no) blowing through red lights etc. and paying no attention to others that do the same. Maybe you can explain that to us citizens.

Oh BTW, if I park my motorcycle on your front lawn am I in violation of something??? After all its not on the sidewalk...............

There are so many nit picking laws no one can obide by all of them, not even the cops and no one can enforce all of them, the jails won't hold us all.
    Gene T

ditto/PG Also, as a former education guy I can attest that some kids are far more "likeable" than others, just like adults... that kid, well
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    Hello Greenwald,

I assume you are a LEO, you have my respect and I know you have job to do. But don't give us that BS about breaking the law, I see every day that I am on the road police officers in their marked cars doing exactly what you have listed above. Plus not using turn signals, not turning on there head lights when their wipers are on (FL state law) Parking marked their take home cars in front of their homes (city code says no no) blowing through red lights etc. and paying no attention to others that do the same. Maybe you can explain that to us citizens.

Oh BTW, if I park my motorcycle on your front lawn am I in violation of something??? After all its not on the sidewalk...............

There are so many nit picking laws no one can obide by all of them, not even the cops and no one can enforce all of them, the jails won't hold us all.
    Morning Gene.

To answer your two questions, I'm a retired LEO - 32 1/2 years on the streets - last 7 as a Motor Officer.

If you park on my lawn, yes - we have a problem. You're trespassing on private property and would be prosecuted.

As for 'my' sidewalk, it isn't really 'my' sidewalk. Municipalities have a statutory 'right of way' from the center of every street laterally past that grass between the curb line and sidewalk and including said sidewalk. Most people don't know that. Yeah - you can refuse to shovel the snow or cut that grass, but then the City will eventually do that for you and add it to your tax bill. Not recommended.

As for the rest of your comments, sort of validates my earlier commentary.

If there were an emergency, do you really want the officer to have to run a block to get to his patrol vehicle, while you or your family is in danger. Sure it is fun to bash the police and the government, but I think most officers are really trying to be there for the citizens they protect.
    John Simonds
    2008 R 1200 GSA
    1975 850 Norton Roadster
    If it ain"t broke... fix it till it is.

Parking

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    Morning Gene.

To answer your two questions, I'm a retired LEO - 32 1/2 years on the streets - last 7 as a Motor Officer.

If you park on my lawn, yes - we have a problem. You're trespassing on private property and would be prosecuted.

As for 'my' sidewalk, it isn't really 'my' sidewalk. Municipalities have a statutory 'right of way' from the center of every street laterally past that grass between the curb line and sidewalk and including said sidewalk. Most people don't know that. Yeah - you can refuse to shovel the snow or cut that grass, but then the City will eventually do that for you and add it to your tax bill. Not recommended.

As for the rest of your comments, sort of validates my earlier commentary.
    Thank you Kevin for straight forward answers, the side walk and swale belong to the city here as well, but we don't have a problem with snow removal. I was planing to visit you and likely park on your lawn, but considering your having me prosecuted I decline to make the trip.

And yes, I believe we agree on several matters. Being retired gives us lots to time to watch, view and criticize others in this rapidly changing world. I guess its called people watching.

Have a nice day,
    Gene T

Smile "Yes-sir-ree" !!!....

...that's what uh many of us have uh been uh doin! ........

..........."travel'in" john

Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    Thank you Kevin for straight forward answers, the side walk and swale belong to the city here as well, but we don't have a problem with snow removal. I was planing to visit you and likely park on your lawn, but considering your having me prosecuted I decline to make the trip.

And yes, I believe we agree on several matters. Being retired gives us lots to time to watch, view and criticize others in this rapidly changing world. I guess its called people watching.

Have a nice day,
    Thanks!

And it is I whom is envious of where you live - southern Florida.

The best vacations of my life have been in West Palm Beach and Key Largo.

Nice corner of the world you live in - enjoy it.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by junkjohn View Post
    If there were an emergency, do you really want the officer to have to run a block to get to his patrol vehicle, while you or your family is in danger. Sure it is fun to bash the police and the government, but I think most officers are really trying to be there for the citizens they protect.
    +1 !

My question in this thread (which seems to have been overlooked thus far) is who put this kid up to this little prank? Though he is obviously a bright kid,
    I don't believe that he came up with this on his own. I would bet money that his parents are very anti-establishment types and put the kid up to this
    under the assumption that the officer would not "take a billy club" to a kid.

I personally fully understand the angst / disgust displayed by the officer, more than likely more toward the parents who put the kid up to this.

Ken
    IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

When I ride on the road, I want to be treated like a car, so when I park, I act like one.
    2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
    2013 Ural Patrol - White
    2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
    2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold

Key Largo

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    Thanks!

And it is I whom is envious of where you live - southern Florida.

The best vacations of my life have been in West Palm Beach and Key Largo.

Nice corner of the world you live in - enjoy it.
    Golly Kevin this is a little off thread, but the world keeps getting smaller. You mention Key Largo, we may have meet depending when you were there. My wife and I owned and operated the Pilot House Restaurant and Marina from 1969 to 1978.

Actually we did not have any side walks in the Keys, except Key West, just park the bike any place you want. We never even took the keys out of the car for fear of lousing them.

If you want to stop by here you can park on my lawn, maybe it will kill some of the darn weeds that want to pop up.

Ride Safe,
    Gene T