Thread: Headlight Bulb Remove and Replace

Hybrid View

Headlight Bulb Remove and Replace

1999 R1100RT

Planning on doing a bunch of work on the bike this weekend, including a headlight bulb replacement and addition of the EasternBeaver relay harness to power the light directly from the battery via relay.

Am planning on removing left and right side tupperware, but no more. Have read a few posts on bulb replacement, but still not sure I get the mental picture on how the metal clip that holds the bulb in place is configured. Have read a bunch of posts where the clip was broken because it was pulled or turned incorrectly before releasing it properly. Maybe with the left and right tupperware off I will have an open view where I can see what I am doing, but in case I don't I was wondering if anyone has a picture or drawing of what the clip arrangement looks like on this bike so if I have to do it "Blind" I'll have a decent shot at not screwing it up trying to get the bulb out. Thanks...Bob

The owner's manual on my K1300S has several good pictures of changing the bulbs.
    Check to see if your manual has similar instructions and pictures.

This picture may help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lee; 05-07-2013 at 11:47 PM.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The owner's manual on my K1300S has several good pictures of changing the bulbs.
    Check to see if your manual has similar instructions and pictures.

This picture may help.
    Those are great pictures. I could not find a similar description in my manual. If I can establish that the spring clip is of similar design on the RT then I think I am set. Thanks again...

Quote Originally Posted by bobr9 View Post
    Those are great pictures. I could not find a similar description in my manual. If I can establish that the spring clip is of similar design on the RT then I think I am set. Thanks again...
    It's a similar design on about every vehicle made in Germany since maybe the 1970s.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

RK Ryder
    I've replaced the headlight bulb on my K and R without removing the faring. Turn the handlebars to the far left and get your arm past the handlebars and your fingers on that clip. One of the few mechanical tasks where I am competent.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    I've replaced the headlight bulb on my K and R without removing the faring. Turn the handlebars to the far left and get your arm past the handlebars and your fingers on that clip. One of the few mechanical tasks where I am competent.
    Any difference if you turn left or right? I believe most of the posts I have seen on this say to turn right. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    It's a similar design on about every vehicle made in Germany since maybe the 1970s.
    OK, that should do it then. Thanks