Thread: Interesting food in Ohio??

Hybrid View

Interesting food in Ohio??

I like interesting restaurants. What is available in the Lima/Ohio area? I'm looking for Mom and Pop and ethnic stuff... no franchise Olive Garden crap. How about bakeries too. I'm from the northeaat and REAL bagels are essential. Any ideas?? john shuck Ironbutt #31 02 GS

Registered User ALIENHITCHHIKER's Avatar
    John, I can't comment on any particular restaurants, but I have heard alot about an Ohio delicacy they call "road apples". Evidently they are especially abundant in areas where Amish folk reside. The best part is that they are supposedly free - you just pick them up off the road. Keep your eye open for them. They might be slippery under your tires.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jshuck
    I like interesting restaurants. What is available in the Lima/Ohio area? I'm looking for Mom and Pop and ethnic stuff... no franchise Olive Garden crap. How about bakeries too. I'm from the northeaat and REAL bagels are essential. Any ideas?? john shuck Ironbutt #31 02 GS

Well, Real Mom and pop eatery..Go to Toledo, Hour north on the 75 to Tony Packo's. Hungarian chill dogs that makes the Cops stand outside in the dead of winter waiting for their order. Plus, Momma Packo makes the best strudle (sp?) and hand whips the cream.

Years ago ('76) they had cake walkin' jazz band made up of the university music directors from a 100 mile radius; Ball State, UM, TU, BGSU,...
    Great dogs, beer, music.

rbottin
    Ohio is the home of many fast food chains, Wendy's for example. Ohio is also considered ground zero for testing of new "fast foods" for the industry. Be a guinea pig, eat fast. be like a Buckeye.

Roger Botting
    Airhead, Airmarshall Ontario
    Airheads BoD
    BMWMOA

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar

Check out the hospitality info

The hospitality committe is putting together a list of local restaurants. It is looking like there is going to be real fun and lots of choices.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

If your coming on the Ohio turnpike then Tony Packos is only about 10 min from I280 exit. Take 280 north to Front St turn right, at the first light its on the corner. Packos was made famous by "Klinger" on MASH, the have even sent Packos dogs and sauce with astronauts on at least one mission. There is a carry out across the street that has Rolaids.

In Lima, there is Kewpie. They are a diner style hamburger joint. The best one is downtown, you will pass one to get there on your way from the rally. Supposidly Dave Thomas (Wendys) copied them. They have the best malts and burgers around.

If you get off the slab and get into Amish country then just about any amish style resturant will do, as long as you like meat and potatos. But remember that the "real" amish places arn't open Sundays.

Most Ma & Pop places are good, it's hard to stay open with a bad reputation.

Doug Mc Gee

Talking Skyline Chili

You have got to try Skyline Chili. It is great! They have resturants all over the state.