Thread: Crossing Nevada

Cool Crossing Nevada

I'm not sure I'll attend the 2013 Rally in Salem. But if I do, it'll involve riding to & from the East Coast.

That being said, my route will involve crossing Nevada, either coming or going.

I'm currently considering crossing (eastbound) Nevada from Lee Vining, over to Tonopah, then Caliente, Panaca, and Cedar City, UT.

Being this will involve the summer desert heat, is this route OK, or should I be looking at crossing farther north?

Comments appreciated, expected, ... and anticipated!

JohnM
    "One day you're a kid sitting on a bike, dreaming the road; next thing you know, your social life consists of drinking microbrews with middle-aged roosters who ride BMWs and wear Aerostitch suits."

- Joe Glydon

Ya need to ride the Extraterrestrial Highway... NV 375 southeast out of Tonopah. Very remote.... With views so long you can see the curvature of the earth. Stop in for a beer at the Little Ale-in.

Standard hot weather riding techniques apply:

- start very early
    - seal yourself off from the wind (mesh = not so good)
    - moisten whatever you're wearing under your suit
    - hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!!!

Ian
    Last edited by Visian; 05-07-2013 at 06:45 PM.
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Be sure to top off fuel at Tonopah before heading to Caliente. Taking the ET Highway you will travel 192 miles with no gas stations. If you are running low you can divert south on 93 to Ash Springs which is 153 mile from Tonopah. You may get less than usual fuel range due to high winds that are often part of the area. In spite of this it is a terrific ride on very lightly traveled roads.

Oh, get an alien burger at the Little Ale-in
    2013 R1200 GSW

Riding is the art of throwing yourself at the ground and missing

It might not be as hot as ya might think, most of the way the elevation is what, 3k+ feet?....... if I remember right.

And the run from Tonopah is only about 120 miles till gas in Rachel, (unless the Rachel gas station closed) elv there is well over 4K foot. I once made that run in just a hair over 1 hour!

Nevada is fun and you picked one of the best ways to cross it.

Wait till you hit the whoops on 120, what fun!
    i-74QwJ63-Th.jpg

I rode that last year, didn't think it was hot at all. We left Merced, went through Yosemite & then down to Caliente. Cedar & Zion are awesome down that way.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    I once made that run in just a hair over 1 hour!
    I neglected to mention *that*

Thanks Guys!

I appreciate all of your input.

I have an R1200R, so the Tonopah-Caliente leg shouldn't be a problem fuel-wise. (I don't plan on breaking speed records while doing it.)
    "One day you're a kid sitting on a bike, dreaming the road; next thing you know, your social life consists of drinking microbrews with middle-aged roosters who ride BMWs and wear Aerostitch suits."

- Joe Glydon

FYI, Rachael hasn't had gas for a few years. This is my usual route to Utah.

As others said temp shouldn't be too hot due to elevation range between 4000 and 5500 ft.

Bring adequate water to stay hydrated like any other summer travel.
    2013 R1200 GSW

Riding is the art of throwing yourself at the ground and missing

ET Highway/Rachael;

It gets hot sometimes, to 104* last year as I rode thru Rachael. Private campground in CalienteNV, West side of town is good grass camping. Rare for Nevada, grass! If you cross Nevada further North, ELY is another fine camping spot, KOA. All nice grass. 6000' in Ely. Cool nights. It can RAIN too in Nevada quite often in Summer months, believe it or not. Micro bursts, most of'em. Very nice cooling effect. Randy

Quote Originally Posted by gr8ridn2 View Post
    FYI, Rachael hasn't had gas for a few years. This is my usual route to Utah..
    Looks like I need to get out more