Thread: How do I remove steering damper knob ??

Rally Rat

How do I remove steering damper knob ??

Mine isn?t woking anyway so I want to remove it. I think it broke somehow when it was a little tightend some years ago.
    When I turn the knob now, I can see the nut in the other end turning - but nothing happens with the friction plate..
    Have tried to hold the nut and unscrew it with the knob , but it?s stuck- REALLY HARD.

Any advises ?

And if I get it loose, do the parts come loose easily ? what comes loose ? only the rod or the friction plate to ?

Thanks

The nut is supposed to be bonded to the lower plate. It seized to the shaft, which is why 1) it got broken loose from the plate in the first place, and 2) you can't get it off. I have had to cut it off in the same situation.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

Rally Rat
    I'd just put a wrench on the nut and unscrew the rod. The nut is a pressed in affair on the plate. You can either replace the plate or spot weld the nut in position.
    Boxerbruce

Have tried to hold the nut and unscrew it with the knob , but it?s stuck- REALLY HARD.
    Hit it with a shot of KROIL and let it sit over night. Then try the wrench again.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Rally Rat
    Lew is right there. If that doesn't work, you might want to heat the nut, apply more Kroil and let it sit some more. The heated nut will draw the Kroil into the threads. Still won't work? Then heat the nut really hot and try again.
    Boxerbruce

Then heat the nut really hot and try again.
    Remembering of course that the fuel tank is right there tooo !!

Or y' could jus' shade-tree it n' clamp some vice-grips around the base of the plastic knob until it cracks. Then clamp the vice-grips around the steel shaft 'n' commence torquin' on it 'til y' sumpin' snaps . .. .
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

If really stuck suggest slice into nut and rod with a dremel cutting wheel so the nut is cut in two and the rod ends up with a slot in it endwise - that way the knob and rod not destroyed and rod can be reused sometime if new nut/plate obtained or repaired

EYE PROTECTION OF COURSE!!!