Thread: Side Stand (replacement) for 1995 R100R "Classic"

Hybrid View

Side Stand (replacement) for 1995 R100R "Classic"

I have lived with the OEM side stand on my R100R for far too long. (Since it was new in 1995). Seems to me that it would be quite handy to simply deploy a side stand that won't spring back up on it's own. (Of course, I use the center stand pretty much all the time, but would like to be able to dismount my bike with the extra security provided by a side stand that will stay down until I decide other wise. And yes, I understand the "logic" of having the spring keeping folks from riding off with the stand down. (I just don't feel I need that extra "help" as I've survived just fine so far on the other bikes I have owned that require paying attention).
    All inquiries about a Brown or equivalent replacement with various parts people (and others, at dealerships) have yielded nada.
    Seems there is no "listing" that would indicate a product for my bike.
    So: To be clear, this bike is very similar to the GS and Mystic versions of the same era. In fact, it was produced for at least a few years (even if mine was a "Last Edition").
    One would think somebody has successfully found an available stand I could use.
    A possible hangup: The pivot point on the factory stand is integrated into the left-hand "crash bar" (cylinder guard), but looks like it could be easily removed without buggering anything.
    In any case, I would be most appreciative if someone has insight into how to acquire/fab/invent/whatever a side stand I can use. I have reasonable fabrication skills, but would prefer not to go off on that route if there is a simple solution I have yet to hear about.
    Has anyone replaced the (pretty useless) side stand on a '90s-era R100 Airhead similar to mine?
    Thanks to anyone who can help.

It's like the GS, but the Mystik actually has a different system because there is no crash bar. Granted, the Mystik stand self-retracts also but it may be easier to modify than the GS/R stand. The bracket is shockingly expensive from BMW but there is an aftermarket version available from Germany.

There are a few aftermarket GS stands, some of them are downright awkward or ugly but you need to be the judge of that. Surefoot and Flying Tpot come to mind, but there are others.

Here's a thread on ADVRider about this: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539035
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

I checked Surefoot...it says specifically no R100R. Flying T-Pot also does not list the '95 bike as a model he supports.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

There used to be someone who made the attachment for this and I bought one. You just give it a kick and it stays down. Unfortunately, someone else bought one of these and instead of taking responsibility for his own neglect in putting it back up he sued the person making these and put him out of business. If you can find an older MOA magazine about 6-7 years old you can find an ad for Schneiders quick fix.
    77 R75/7
    78 R100/7
    93 R100R
    95 MZ Tour

Google "schneider sidestand fixer" and click on images. Also, found this MOA thread from 2006:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...der-By-Lawsuit

I found a link the Schneider's website, but my system indicates there's a virus with the link.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I just bought the classic Brown side stand for my 1995 R100RT from Shails Motorcycles ,now of Fort Langley(a suburb of vancouver).I agree,the stock stand is hopeless and ridiculous.Not sure where he got it,but they are out there.Did you try Bob's BMW?

http://shailsmotorcycles.com/
    Sometimes,nothing is a real cool hand.