Thread: Brick French connection?

Brick French connection?

I read somewhere that Renault had a hand in designing the K75/K100 and I just saw a video of an engine oil change on a Citroen. The oil filter is in the sump. Do we have French DNA in our bikes?
    Ron

91 K75RT ABS

Peugeot - not Renault

I have read that Josef Fritzenwenger's K bike development team built a prototype K bike in 1977 with an engine from a Peugeot 104. The engine had 954 cc, producing 45 hp @6000 rpm and 64 Nm torque at 3000 rpm. At the time the Peugeot engine was a pretty modern design and had many features the BMW engineers were looking for: Light alloy crank case and water cooled block and cylinder head, belt driven overhead cam - and most important, it was also mounted almost flat on its side. It appears that prototype tests produced very good results that convinced the engineers to pursue this engine & drive train concept. I am not sure how much of the Peugeot engine design was ultimately adopted for the K-series engine. I do not believe the K engine is a copy or slightly modified version of the Peugot 104 engine.
    Tom

'87 K100RS
    '04 R1150R

Quote Originally Posted by roncooper View Post
    I read somewhere that Renault had a hand in designing the K75/K100 and I just saw a video of an engine oil change on a Citroen. The oil filter is in the sump. Do we have French DNA in our bikes?
    Good french bread is baked in a brick oven
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

I also have heard that Peugeot had their fingers in the engine design. However, it was good old German engineering that put the engine on it's side according the flyingbrick.de website.
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Good french bread is baked in a brick oven
    LMAS

Brianplug has it right. BMW engineers used a Peugeot engine as inspiration early in the development process. I've read nothing that suggests Peugeot had any active hand in the K bikes development.