Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2008 R1200RT - 32,000 Miles - Final Drive Failure

Agree Ponch

But there are thousands who have never had or will have a final drive issue and if you are so worried about it, then it's best to get rid of the bike, as you can hardly enjoy the ride with that constantly on your mind.

You guys over there are a lot luckier. I can't even purchase a after market warranty. If ours goes after 2 years, we are buggered and are looking at full cost.
    Over here it's more to Canadian cost and would be anything from $4,000.00 ~ $6,000.00
    But.....
    I just gave my 2005 a real hammering through the local mountain range, competing with a Kawasaki ZX14R for more then 10 sweepers before he made it around me on a slightly longer straight line, where pure right out acceleration got him the edge. I know the rider who is extremely competent and above my riding skills.

So far I have not seen another bike that can take me touring for thousands of miles in comfort and then go toe to toe with the Sports bikes in hard/tight and fast corners.

When that day comes, I am happy to look at another brand unless BMW comes up with some kind of superior service/warranty or quality trump that outdo the others.
    Australia N,S,W
    Mid North Coast
    2014 R1200RT LC/SE

$4000 is a lot of 'scarole. I don't think about all the time, but I keep an eye on it at maintenance time and if I feel like checking it. I don't know many people that can drop $2000 let alone $4-6000. That would suck no matter how much I liked the bike. $ 4000 would be ad hoc lightning time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

I just spent a weekend on a trip and to be honest I didn't give the final drive a thought. Just turned 22000 miles and still loving it. I do have an extended warranty that is good until June 2015 or so. I seem to have a severe case of "who me worry?".
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred02 View Post
    Wow
    So you are sweating about something that might never happen to you.
    Then you complain about the design and even suggest that you will change brand due to that yours "might" end up with a fault.
    Good luck with finding the "perfect bike" with no failure ever found.
    You sound like the Triumph Salesman I spoke to last week.
    I was having a look at the new Trophy SE and he spend all the time talking down my bike for all the "failures" he knows about via the Web, while talking up the Trophy and that it wouldn't happen to them.
    I asked him how he would know that, since the bike is "just" on the market..... still waiting for an answer on that one.

As I wanted to know the change over cost, I told him I would see him next day.
    In the meantime, had a quick look on the Web and told him next day that on the Triumph forum, I have found 3 break downs already, with 2 ending up in minor accidents due to engine just stopping for no apparent reason.
    He told me not to take any notice of forums as most of the users just make up stuff...LOL
    Same Salesman on questioning: Never owned a BMW.....Hadn't ridden the Trophy SE but was just an expert in both.

You sound a bit like it.
    Agree 100%. I've done over 235k on BMW's since 2001. 21 countries and 49 states all solo and I'm 77. No failures and no worries. We rarely hear from the 98% who enjoy their rides and never sit at home worrying.
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika

ride till you can't

Cool

BMW goes to great lengths to conceal the actual number of FD failures the RT's are experiencing (most FD failure components get spirited back to Germany by the dealers - mine did).

Ergo, no one outside of corporate BMW actually knows the failure percentage.

Those whom have suffered often angrily inflate the percentage to as much as 20% - I don't think it's that high.

The 'other side of the fence' like to gloss over the failure rate at 2% or less - I don't think it's that low.

But if it happens to you, your failure rate is an expensive 100% - I think that's unacceptable.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    BMW goes to great lengths to conceal the actual number of FD failures the RT's are experiencing (most FD failure components get spirited back to Germany by the dealers - mine did).

Ergo, no one outside of corporate BMW actually knows the failure percentage.

Those whom have suffered often angrily inflate the percentage to as much as 20% - I don't think it's that high.

The 'other side of the fence' like to gloss over the failure rate at 2% or less - I don't think it's that low.

But if it happens to you, your failure rate is an expensive 100% - I think that's unacceptable.
    +1, Gunny; very well said greenwald, totally unacceptable from a continuous Beemer Owner since March of 1969 with a 1966 R60/2 and I joined MOA in 1979!
    Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    Perhaps there's some indication of mysterious dealings with the issue in that my dealer was told by BMW that no longer were rebuild parts available for an FD failure...only a complete new unit. That said, perhaps BMW is concerned about the difficulty of correctly rebuilding an FD, and does not want anyone (including BMW-trained techs) to try it any more?
    John Gamel
    2008 Kalahari Beige R1200RT
    LEOSA Certified

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Perhaps there's some indication of mysterious dealings with the issue in that my dealer was told by BMW that no longer were rebuild parts available for an FD failure...only a complete new unit. That said, perhaps BMW is concerned about the difficulty of correctly rebuilding an FD, and does not want anyone (including BMW-trained techs) to try it any more?
    May be they are just disposable.
    My Motorrad

Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    May be they are just disposable.
    Maybe they are simply making sure that the drives aren't being rebuilt locally and then sold/charged to customers as a replacement at thousands of dollars.

If BMW would release the figures of drive failures compared to bikes sold and these figures would be low.... would anybody believe it or just come up with a whole new conspiracy theory again???
    Fairly sure it would be the later.

Other manufacturers don't run around releasing any figures of failed components either, unless it makes them look good.
    Australia N,S,W
    Mid North Coast
    2014 R1200RT LC/SE

Transparency works for me. Unfortunately, it's a rarity today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Motorrad

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Since this install was done at a BMW dealer, it now has a 2-year warranty from BMW.
    It doesn't matter if it was done at a BMW dealer. It's still covered for two years. However, dealers sometimes are not all on the same page as BMW.
    On parts...
    "To obtain service under this warranty
    for parts purchased over the counter
    or by mail order from an authorized
    BMW motorcycle retailer, the
    defective part(s) or accessories must
    be brought to an authorized BMW
    motorcycle dealer. Upon presentation
    of the original sales invoice showing
    the purchase date and BMW part
    number, the BMW dealer will repair or
    replace said part(s) or accessories
    covered by this warranty free of
    charge. This warranty does not cover
    labor costs for the removal or
    installation of the part(s) or
    accessories."
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred02 View Post
    Maybe they are simply making sure that the drives aren't being rebuilt locally and then sold/charged to customers as a replacement at thousands of dollars.

If BMW would release the figures of drive failures compared to bikes sold and these figures would be low.... would anybody believe it or just come up with a whole new conspiracy theory again???
    Fairly sure it would be the later.

Other manufacturers don't run around releasing any figures of failed components either, unless it makes them look good.
    Here's an interesting article that I think ties into this. I have to wonder if it applies here and if BMW execs understand it.
    My Motorrad

Here's another one to add to the list. My RT was in for a 6K service at my BMW dealer. During the service the technician discovered that the final drive was grinding. Looks like a replacement is the next event. The folks at the dealer advised me not to ride it so I had an ignominious ride home on a beautiful day in a rental car.

I had purchased an extended warranty a couple of years ago, and so the Service Mgr. is working with that company to get authorization to replace the unit. I think I'll be OK, money-wise. FWIW, this RT had been serviced strictly by BMW dealers since new.
    Hi ExGMan,

I saw you're in Chestnut Hill. I'm in Waltham, on an '07 RT. I'm worried about FD issues on my bike as well. I'm curious what dealer/service shop you go to that made the diagnosis? Feel free to PM me if you'd rather.
    G Spot
    '07 R1200RT
    "Get busy living or get busy dying"
    The 'G' Spot: talesfromthegspot.blogspot.com

Greg - I tried to send you two PMs tonight...one lengthy one and another shorter. Somehow I think vBulletin ate them. My email is: jgamelpi@gmail.com. Try me there, and we can talk on the 'phone so I can explain the entire saga to you.

John "ExGMan" Gamel
    John Gamel
    2008 Kalahari Beige R1200RT
    LEOSA Certified

Remember this?

BMW brought us NEW FD technology in these, NO SERVICE required was the original new era FD's on all our new BMWs. A BMW Car crossover technical idea to bikes! WELL, it clearly flopped and this was the reason for NO DRAINPLUGS on the early ones, as in my '07GSA1200. I am at 97000miles, with one bearing replaced in FD(around 75000m), as it was slightly wiggly in one checkup. I was in for new tire, when my BMW Tech did the wiggle test of wheel on bike. It was soooo minimal, the movement I could not even feel, but he just did a new bearing for safe measures. I had 2 failures on 2001 KLT1200 FDs in 98000miles. I do all my own service and do the FD OIL at every rear tire change, splines too. I will never forget the FD OIL phenom in the beginning either, as BMW did not even KNOW how much oil to use in FD????? They changed it from 235cc to 180cc, remember! Now, this is a WOW factor from a design team/ R and D department at BMW with grey matter missing! The parts are not German(most probable), out sourced as almost everybody does these days in manufacturing. We must live with that and its not always perfect, we suffer. Just a few things left off this thread so far, thought needed mentioning. I think the majority of BMWs have not had these failures or BMW would be out of business, not survivable. We always hear the bad things first, as they blossom into giants. Risk is in the business of building anything and we are the recipients/ test subjects of todays world. Maybe its always been this way! Randy