Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where to get an r80g/s seat

The Raven

Where to get an r80g/s seat

Hey Folks,
    Apparently it is not cool to directly ask to buy a solo seat for my r80G/S here in the forums. However according to the mod, it is OK to ask if anyone knows of any for sale, knows of anyone who has one kicking around in the back trash bin all rusted and cracked, or even good commercial sellers that are not asking a premium.
    I'm asking because I would like to get one and although I have had ads up in many places for a while, folks recently have listed and sold them at reasonable prices before I had a chance to get in touch.
    Also buying off of classifieds is hard because there is at least one guy who I will not mention who builds these bikes up for resale who will search and buy every PD seat and tank he can find. I've offered to buy a seat off of him, but he wants to keep them for "future builds"

I would also post in the FM...but unfortunately I see no way of adding my wanted ad.

So if you know of any please drop me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adamppaul View Post
    I would also post in the FM...but unfortunately I see no way of adding my wanted ad.
    Not sure what the trouble is with the FM. I've posted several ads as test cases. It works fine. Many ads are being put up every day. As long as the required fields are filled out, the Flea Market works.

Have you tried some of the used part places? Check the Resources and Links thread in my sig line for the Used Parts section.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

You didn't mention what year your GS is. There is an '81-'86 recovered GS seat on eBay this morning.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-R80g-s-R...item3f1604e6aa

Buy It Now : $333.00 (a "reasonable price" I couldn't say.)

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

The Raven
    Solo seat, and in the FM all I see is a way of looking at my ads.....but no way to post

Solo seat, and in the FM all I see is a way of looking at my ads.....but no way to post
    Note that you have to login to post in the FM. It's separate from the forum, just as the MOA homepage is separate from here as well. Currently there is a problem with the logins on the homepage and the FM. It's necessary to relogin everytime you visit. The office is working to get that cleared up.
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

The Raven
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Note that you have to login to post in the FM. It's separate from the forum, just as the MOA homepage is separate from here as well. Currently there is a problem with the logins on the homepage and the FM. It's necessary to relogin everytime you visit. The office is working to get that cleared up.
    I did login but still see no way of actually posting. All I can think of is two reasons...I not a current paid MOA member, or the option is selected by a drop down menu that I cannot access on an Ipad.

It's too bad too because I still have some parts left from a r100 GS when I put them on my G/S that I would like to list as well

Do you see a screen like this, but it says "Welcome Adam Paul"?

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...l=1#post873527

You are a current active user and I see nothing on your profile that would limit your member access. Any chance you could get to another computer and see if the problem is the iPad? Still, I wouldn't think that's the problem. I see a fully active FM on my Android phone.

The Raven
    Do you see a screen like this, but it says "Welcome Adam Paul"?

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...l=1#post873527

You are a current active user and I see nothing on your profile that would limit your member access. Any chance you could get to another computer and see if the problem is the iPad? Still, I wouldn't think that's the problem. I see a fully active FM on my Android phone.
    Negative on that, I have nothing beyond view active listings showing.

Negative on that, I have nothing beyond view active listings showing.
    Does your screen look anything like this? This is what a guest sees:
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Raven
    Does your screen look anything like this? This is what a guest sees:
    No.....I see everything you do when logged in....except the posting ads part. I see the ability to view active and past ads...just not post new ones. Those options are missing from my FM screen.

See:
    http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-PO...29B2868C19.PNG

Be advised that some of the hardware necessary for mounting the solo seat is no longer available from BMW. The right angle pieces that secure the rear rack to the rear subframe.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

No.....I see everything you do when logged in....except the posting ads part. I see the ability to view active and past ads...just not post new ones. Those options are missing from my FM screen.

See:
    Thanks for the screen shot...let me think about that. As I said, if you can try to get to the FM on a "regular" computer, I'd like to know what you see.

Thanks...

The Raven
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Be advised that some of the hardware necessary for mounting the solo seat is no longer available from BMW. The right angle pieces that secure the rear rack to the rear subframe.
    Those I can make or buy aftermarket...I just need the seat/rack and hate the idea of spending $450 for something I've seen sold for $150-$200.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Those I can make or buy aftermarket...I just need the seat/rack and hate the idea of spending $450 for something I've seen sold for $150-$200.
    I hate the idea too. But I wanted one bad enough that after a year or so of searching I broke down and ordered one from the Netherlands. http://www.bmwboxersupplies.com/seats-c-15.html

After talking to him I decided to splurge and buy the more expensive and higher quality seat along with a rack and mounting hardware. Might not be available from BMW but you can get it here. Guess what? I hated it. It is a very stiff seat and wide enough to cut off the circulation in my legs. The look of these seats are very attractive but comfort wise? Terrible. The dual seat is actually much more comfortable. In the end I made a custom seat for my G/S. One of these days when if I find the money I might take the solo seat to Rich's saddles or someplace that knows how to shape foam with a human in mind and see what they can do. In the meantime by buddies call this thing my sofa.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

I ran an adapted H-D police saddle on a /6 side car rig for awhile; this saddle looks a lot like it. As you observed, it was okay for awhile, riding locally. But on the first long trip I soon realized it wasn't comfortable at all. I think the reason is that it pretty much nails your butt into one place and your legs have no where to "roam". With bench-type saddles you can slide forward and aft to change your leg position. It's surprising how fatiguing it can be to not move your legs.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner