Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2006 R1200RT mirror suggestions?

2006 R1200RT mirror suggestions?

I recently purchased a 2006 R1200RT in beautiful condition with very low miles. I love the bike but I dislike the mirrors. A friend says wait and I'll get used to it. I don't think so. It appears that I could add a pair of traditional mirrors in the existing holes near the clutch and brake levers. 10 mm diameter I think. I have an aftermarket Z Technik V-Stream windscreen. Any clearance issues? What's the best bang for my buck? I heard rumors that older K bike mirrors might work. Thanks. John

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by tamajohn View Post
    I recently purchased a 2006 R1200RT in beautiful condition with very low miles. I love the bike but I dislike the mirrors. A friend says wait and I'll get used to it. I don't think so. It appears that I could add a pair of traditional mirrors in the existing holes near the clutch and brake levers. 10 mm diameter I think. I have an aftermarket Z Technik V-Stream windscreen. Any clearance issues? What's the best bang for my buck? I heard rumors that older K bike mirrors might work. Thanks. John
    It does take most people a little bit of time to get used to RT-styled mirrors. Many folks out there do add traditional mirrors so if you're OK with the appearance of 4 mirrors it does work. As for the mirrors working with your particular windshield I don't know. It may come down to the mirrors you choose. Ask the seller for permission to verify fitment prior to purchase.

aapasquale
    There's a company called Saeng-Ta from which I purchased extra mirrors for blind spots--really well-made products and easy to install--take a look

I installed a set of GS mirrors on my 1150RT. I have an aftermarket windshield and handlebar risers on my bike. If I turn the bars as far as they will go they just touch the shield. Found the mirrors used on Ebay. It is a pretty common change that a lot of RT folks make. Here is a shot of all four mirrors. It may look a bit funny, but it works for me and I am the person who has to ride it.

Bike is not an Oilhead but rather a Hexhead and thread is in the wrong forum.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Retired User
    There's a thread about this somewhere in the deep, dark past. I remember the pics. The mirrors were from the K1200RS and they fit like they were made for the RT and they looked great. Part numbers 51-167-653-773, and -774 (L & R) @ $85.46 each.
    Bill Mayer
    MOA #98888
    R1200RT

pchrt
    Had the RS mirrors on my 06 and just the round blind spot stick on ones on my 05. Out of the two I like the RS ones better. You can focus one set behind you and one set near rear to see the blind spot vehicles. I thought I had a picture of them but can't find it but google search is your friend.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...rs-for-R1200RT

I was looking at a friends R1100RT yesterday and saw his Saeng-Ta blind spot mirrors. http://www.saeng.com/product.php?id=253 He mounted them on a shelf under his windscreen that also holds his GPS. They look very good and he said they work great.

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Bike is not an Oilhead but rather a Hexhead and thread is in the wrong forum.
    Bumped up a notch to Hex/Cam. OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

saeng-ta mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by aapasquale View Post
    There's a company called Saeng-Ta from which I purchased extra mirrors for blind spots--really well-made products and easy to install--take a look
    I am considering a pair of them. Do they vibrate? I put a couple of traditional mirrors on but they vibrate a lot. I ride a 2012 RT. I had to buy adapters to attach them. The 2012 RT did not that the holes for traditional GS mirrors.

Bernie

Quote Originally Posted by tamajohn View Post
    Over on the Sporttouring site 'dirtrider' put me onto the following: "You can use GS upper clamps (32727673917) & mirrors of your choice (if thread pitch is correct) or just buy the entire kit from here---

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=76241"

I ordered the one from A&S a few days ago as I liked the looks. I don't find the stock mirrors too bad when solo but with a passenger elbows get in the way. My friend has a 05 Rt and when travelling I always wondered why his wife always had her elbows tucked in. Now I know. I don't like some one sneaking up on me.

BruceRT

Multivex Mirror?

I was going to suggest the Multivex mirrors. I loved them on my Gold Wing and planned to put them on my 2005 R1200RT but the URL is down. www.multivexmirror.com is 404. I guess they are out of business.
    Bruce
    2005 R1200RT (It's new to me!)
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you are not continuously learning, you are slowly getting bored.

nothing like looking down at your rear view mirrors... Then raise your head and see a car stopped in front of you!!!! Used the K 1200 mirrors and looked like they were made for the bike! Beemer Boneyard or repsycle might have hem used...

Pat

Old School

mirrors

You might want to look at the maxiviewmirror.

mirrors