Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: IBMWR renege

Quote Originally Posted by jforgo View Post
    Yes, I do agree with you. While I have been favorably impressed in my interactions with other BMW riders; I do not think the membership or ownership confers something on anyone. Something I have disliked about the Los Angeles, or SF Bay areas, is the large number of people who seemingly "are" their "stuff". The "look at me, I am something because my car is less than 3 years old, I eat at all the right places, my clothing is so cool because it has all the matching Nike swooshes, I belong to the right HOA and gym, I (say) I just read the trendiest book, my motorcycle makes me macho" etc etc - people who have essentially tried to "purchase" their whole ego and persona. All that external stuff does not help, and in the extreme I have laid out, may even inhibit, good character from developing or coming forth. Sleazy crass dishonest behavior cuts across all demographics.
    The above comments are in tune with my observation of much what I call "posing", that's all to common in our society. I suppose we can blame advertising or Hollywood movies or video games or whatever but it's the "at home parenting part" that can be the denominator in this all.
    You can bet your bottom dollar that my kids(in spite of their educations,jobs & all that kind of "stuff") don't walk away from the simple pleasures in life & respect for all .
    I live where much of this LaLa land property & "stuff" as you say are non-existent but it doesn't mean that locals attitudes are always in the best direction. As a guy that 1st owned a BMW car(one of the status symbols we speak of) in 1969 I have always adhered to the fact that I'm a "greasy BMW guy" & certainly not an "uppity owner". It's my little escape from BMW "aura" that some attach. The Roundel(and the other high end machines) is unfortunately something that's in the posers realm of having class.
    E.G. for this "uppity crap":
    There is a scooter (my latest 2 wheel disease) for sale on ebay now that's painted Ferrari red & has the horse stickers on it & the seller is a Ferrari dealer(the cars are in the background)-the whole 9 yards of uppitiness exemplified & it is just a simple scooter, mind you, that's been repainted red & had stickers added & people are bidding like crazy. No, I don't want it but my point is that it appears that the paint & stickers are making it sell.
    and I told myself not to rant
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    Quote Originally Posted by MPMARTY View Post
    This is just another example of ones word being their bond. I lived in Nevada in the fifties, sixties and mid seventies. In the early years a handshake was a legal contract. By the 1970s the Californians had moved into the state in such large numbers you couldn't trust anyone. I left and ran away to Oregon and recently have found the same problems with immigrants from the south.
    Sheesh - Unnecessary hasty generalizations. I could say California was the same until the XYZ folks came in (or is that a Pace Picante commercial)....etc. Times have changed, people's behaviour has changed, their prior address has little to do with it...slime balls have been around everywhere forever, if we are lucky, we can avoid contact with them. In my business, I am generally lucky. But I get the rare bad one as well and location of origin has nothing to do with it.
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jforgo View Post
    Are we getting more people like this?
    You'll see fewer if you report this to the IBMWR Marketplace admins.

Ian
    IBMWR Marketplace Admin Team member

I've only had one Nigerian response there in 2 weeks of an ad.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Had something similar happen. An acquaintance of mine was needing an expensive operation...not covered by Ins. So he' selling things to raise $$. I offered to by a Hannigan trailer @ the price he wanted. He said great. I send a check...well he didn't make it. Well @ that time I'm not going to bug his wife about it, coming to get it,etc. So everything on hold for a period. Next thing I know [months later] my check ! is returned....she got a better offer...not a huge deal, I didn't loose any money...just thought it was hinkey ?

I didn't loose any money...just thought it was hinkey ?
    You can't blame her under the circumstances. If he was selling off stuff to raise funds for his surgery they must have been strapped. Even if he didn't survive, the medical bills for her now must be outrageous. She needs ever cent she can lay her hands on.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

bid on my lawnmower???

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    The above comments are in tune with my observation of much what I call "posing", that's all to common in our society. I suppose we can blame advertising or Hollywood movies or video games or whatever but it's the "at home parenting part" that can be the denominator in this all.
    You can bet your bottom dollar that my kids(in spite of their educations,jobs & all that kind of "stuff") don't walk away from the simple pleasures in life & respect for all .
    I live where much of this LaLa land property & "stuff" as you say are non-existent but it doesn't mean that locals attitudes are always in the best direction. As a guy that 1st owned a BMW car(one of the status symbols we speak of) in 1969 I have always adhered to the fact that I'm a "greasy BMW guy" & certainly not an "uppity owner". It's my little escape from BMW "aura" that some attach. The Roundel(and the other high end machines) is unfortunately something that's in the posers realm of having class.
    E.G. for this "uppity crap":
    There is a scooter (my latest 2 wheel disease) for sale on ebay now that's painted Ferrari red & has the horse stickers on it & the seller is a Ferrari dealer(the cars are in the background)-the whole 9 yards of uppitiness exemplified & it is just a simple scooter, mind you, that's been repainted red & had stickers added & people are bidding like crazy. No, I don't want it but my point is that it appears that the paint & stickers are making it sell.
    and I told myself not to rant
    For Sale at the Right Price $. Make me a ridiculously high offer, and I might consider you worthy of ownership.

Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    For Sale at the Right Price $. Make me a ridiculously high offer, and I might consider you worthy of ownership.

Wish I could afford it. My friends would sure be jealous of my new status.
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika

ride till you can't

Quote Originally Posted by martyhill View Post
    Wish I could afford it. My friends would sure be jealous of my new status.
    you have no idea.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Since your made out of money and can afford a Ducatti 7hp Italian lawn mower: there has been a $2,000 Bultaco roto tiller on ebay recently...
    I'll stick with my red Murray 3.5

there has been a $2,000 Bultaco roto tiller on ebay recently...
    I'll stick with my red Murray 3.5
    Holy sh*t I'd be grabbing it. This one's price at a cool $10K. He must think it's the only one ever built Now, an airhead snowblower ... that would be a real status symbol

Lew Morris

Will you accept a cashier's check for twice what it's worth, and give me the Duck and the rest in cash?

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    Will you accept a cashier's check for twice what it's worth, and give me the Duck and the rest in cash?
    Deal!

Would you prefer the overage to be sent Western Union, or to a Paypal Escrow account?
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Watch out for those doggie bones laying in the yard...
    Seriously, where I used to work some of these guys loved to talk about their lawnmowers like they were some sort of exotic MC or car. Not! something I can relate to.I'd rather talk about claw hammers than mowers... I suppose having mowed a golf course changes your "love of mowing"?

As a kid being expected to mow an acre-sized lot every week with an old self-propelled LawnBoy push-mower pretty much knocked that love right out of me.

Lew Morris