Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Oil level changed

On my 2006 RT I've got the computer display thing. At the end of each ride I stop in the shop, in neutral engine idling and press the button until it displays "Oil" and a big check mark. That's close enough for me.

OOPS! Mea Culpa Mea Maxima Culpa. I'm sorry to step on this Oilhead thread with a Hexhead comment.

Marty
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    or as the head mechanic at a BMW shop tells us, fill it up with 350ml, and simply check it on the centre stand when you get home from a ride, while it is still hot, then don't worry about it. Of course being a nutter, I check it the same way as Roger 04 RT does.

Another guy I respect says the same thing about hot and right to the center stand but the ever-trusty Rider's Manual (or more accurately, Lawyer's Manual):

"Wait at least 5 minutes after switching off the hit engine for the oil to collect in the sump."

The only way all the oil will drain into the sump for me is the hot-sidestand-wait-centerstand routine. Because, and I quote:

CAUTION
    • To avoid damage to the engine:
      -Never exceed the maximum oil level.

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Voni refuses to put her bike on, or take it off, the centerstand. So when she travels by herself this poses a sight glass oil checking dillemna. So she carries a mirror in her tank bag (it is part of the handle of her hair brush). She sits on the bike with it upright, holds the mirror down, and checks the oil.
    But Paul, you haven't told us if Voni does this with the engine hot or cold.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333