Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you park your motorcycle on the sidewalk?

Do you park your motorcycle on the sidewalk?

I don't. I guess this 12 y/o kid thought it was a bad ideal too. I saw this on the Today Show this morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYJyLYiOMCI
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    I don't. I guess this 12 y/o kid thought it was a bad ideal too. I saw this on the Today Show this morning.

Frequently actually as long as it's not blocking anything at all. Seems kind of silly to take an entire car spot number 1 and number 2 it becomes much harder for the cagers to take your bike out.

No, yes, maybe -

Not right now where I live I don't need to and it would be bad form with the neighbors. I am not certain but it may not be legal in my neighborhood.

I have in the past I have in other cities. London for example it was legal near the business I worked at briefly and illegal in the neighborhood I lived. Go figure.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Curious

I decided to see what LEOs thought about this. I found this thread on;

http://forums.officer.com/t113642/

So watch out. The consensus is that they would ticket you.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

na1g
    No, I don't park on the sidewalk. I also don't eat lunch in the street.

pete

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by na1g View Post
    No, I don't park on the sidewalk. I also don't eat lunch in the street.

pete
    Well said!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post

What an arrogant jerk ...... and I'm referring to the kid.

Future ACLU attorney, no doubt.

Thumbs up +1

[QUOTE=greenwald;875187] What an arrogant jerk ...... and I'm referring to the kid.

Future politician? Airhead activist?

Usually at Wal Mart..... now!

...Since the 2009 Great Chicken Rally near Huntsville, AL sucks. Big rally and a big newer Wally World nearby. So what occurs on a Saturday
    of the "bird crap gig" with about 500+ (easily!) of us visiting town... many of us at the same time for a few hour period visit the joint!
    And what do find about the parking lot at this "up scale" establishment... oil / antifreeze laden, slick & littered, tight parking spots. No matter
    how "newer" it seems. So I arrive to see multiple bmw's parked on the "end caps", those larger areas with yellow striped lines with the light
    poles at the end of the parking rows. Maybe 8 to 11 bikes along the full width of the Mart here & there... so I see no reason to plow up & down
    the lanes to take a cage spot & join the fray in one of the end caps. Their organized so that your not interfering with handicap parking access...
    so I think it will be fine also. It's boiling hot on that asphalt & the big wide sidewalk of concrete looks good near the building, some of it even in
    the shade! In FLORIDA, on a motorcycle...that's WHERE YOU PARK! Enough lawsuits from bikes falling over in soft asphalt lots caused that...
    there is an expectation the designated parking spots will support a motor vehicle I guess. Anyhow... a bunch of us come out to find the law
    writing tickets faster than I thought possible... he got nearly all of us; others arriving noticed & avoided the rather expensive parking violation....
    ... if you chose to anti-up the coin; my alleged paperwork must have "blown" across the lot... it wasn't under the wiper blade!!!...

"travel'in" john

BMW Rider
    Multiple bikes in one space is illegal in many places as the towns want their money. They really don't care if you're making more space for cars. I'll stick to the sidewalk in what I believe to be an intelligent manner. Laws are not necessarily concerned about intelligence as some are there primarily to generate revenue like not allowing multiple bikes in one spot. I've never been ticketed anyway for it although I assume it is illegal in most areas. And, laziness has zero to do with it. When I'm in the car I'm usually in the farthest spot you can get away from the store. Dings you know...

I've done the sidewalk thing for years. If I get a couple of tickets in my lifetime I don't think I'll lose any sleep over it. When done intelligently not a big deal. If I'm not mistaken I think you probably have to have the store file a complaint anyway. Many moons ago when I was a bag boy I parked on the sidewalk in front of the store every working day.

Here's where the fun comes in. If you live/work in Manhattan how many have driven on the sidewalk? Bike and/or car?

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by flyhi2cfar View Post
    ...Since the 2009 Great Chicken Rally near Huntsville, AL sucks. Big rally and a big newer Wally World nearby. So what occurs on a Saturday
    of the "bird crap gig" with about 500+ (easily!) of us visiting town... many of us at the same time for a few hour period visit the joint!
    And what do find about the parking lot at this "up scale" establishment... oil / antifreeze laden, slick & littered, tight parking spots. No matter
    how "newer" it seems. So I arrive to see multiple bmw's parked on the "end caps", those larger areas with yellow striped lines with the light
    poles at the end of the parking rows. Maybe 8 to 11 bikes along the full width of the Mart here & there... so I see no reason to plow up & down
    the lanes to take a cage spot & join the fray in one of the end caps. Their organized so that your not interfering with handicap parking access...
    so I think it will be fine also. It's boiling hot on that asphalt & the big wide sidewalk of concrete looks good near the building, some of it even in
    the shade! In FLORIDA, on a motorcycle...that's WHERE YOU PARK! Enough lawsuits from bikes falling over in soft asphalt lots caused that...
    there is an expectation the designated parking spots will support a motor vehicle I guess. Anyhow... a bunch of us come out to find the law
    writing tickets faster than I thought possible... he got nearly all of us; others arriving noticed & avoided the rather expensive parking violation....
    ... if you chose to anti-up the coin; my alleged paperwork must have "blown" across the lot... it wasn't under the wiper blade!!!...

"travel'in" john
    Now that's something I never do... park on yellow stripes. I figure those stripes are there for a reason. Example: Turning radius of a truck. Also, if I see multiple people parked on the sidewalk I park somewhere else because multiples are just itching to be ticketed. Intelligent low key parking wins the day most of the time in my self-admitted little parts of the world where I have lived and/or worked.

When I owned a boxer, I often parked on the sidewalk . Never had any problems. With my K bike, I rarely park on the sidewalk. Times have changed. In my area of the country, state and local governments are so worried about filling their coffers, you have to be careful. There seems to have been a shift from stopping crime to raising revenue. JMO
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

Thumbs up

For those of you who think this 12 yr. old 'Michael Moore wannabe' is America's future, to each their own.

I prefer to put my faith in these 'kids'!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEBJmZL8G1E

Enjoy.

My answer is that it depends. There is a electronics superstore type place near me that the motorcycles regularly park on the very large and wide sidewalk up by the building. It is an area that seldom has people walking. The nice part is that it is in the shade and also direct view of the security cameras. So I'm more comfortable leaving gear on the bike. However at the local grocery store I park in the lot with the cars. They used to have an out of the way area that was good for bikes, but as there business expanded they moved the cart storage there and it isn't good for bikes since they would be in the way. Which is too bad since the extra shoppers means full parking lot and I'm taking up a full spot. But I'd rather take up a full spot than be that "biker" that is on the sidewalk and in the way.

There are other places I park on the sidewalk, but it is always in an area that is already accepted as an okay places for bikes and never where it will inconvenience pedestrians.
    Rusty
    Austin, TX
    Two Wheeled Texans
    2009 R1200GSA

Where we live the nearest sidewalk is over 50 miles away. And I don't park on the sidewalk there anyway. It must be a "city thing".
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves