Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Dynabeads Tire Balancing- Good or Bad?

I used them for awhile and thought they were a pain in posterior come tire changing time. I change all the tires on our 4 bikes and find using a traditional balancer is simple, effective and less messy.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    FWIW, you don't have to be a hot rod type rider/ driver or racing use to have tires that become out of balance after substantial use.
    Possibly. But then using beads, your tire is out of balance every time you start from a stop and who knows if they are in balance at the end. Unimportant to me since I don't use them.

Lets talk about product evaluations, be it on forums or even in the Owners News.

Some time ago I read a product evaluation on a pair of gloves on ON. Not a single word was mentioned if the lining at the finger-tips is attached to the inside of the glove. Ever pull your wet or damp hands out of a pair of gloves and the fingers came along with them? Ever try to stuff them back in in a snap...good luck. Who ever wrote up that incomplete evaluation had no business evaluating them in the first place. Its not a feature I should have to ask if it is taken care of.

BTW, are all or most product evaluations of products, products that are "advertised" in the ON?

On another forum, a vendor introduced his new battery charger & maintainer that promised you the world. A spiffy looking colorful charger going under the name Save-A-Battery. Yup it even load tests a battery as well. It took me a while to find out how a device that small and compact can do a load test at 1/2 the CCA. Well it doesn't; it does a 20W load test...yup, about as much as a turn signal bulb...less than 2 amps.

And then it charges all types of batteries: SLA, GEL, Dry Cell, AGM and Spiral Cell. Well if it is built to charge a GEL, then it is on the low side for other batteries. The company did not provide their charging algorithm values when I asked. Proprietary information which I could easily get from a data logger in my lab at work.

Of course the usual lemmings on the forum flocked to buy it for a while, till they knew otherwise.

You see, one should not question things. When people question, that means they are thinking. You own government hates it when you think. That is why they give you Hollywood.

The SNAKE 421. Bristol, Southwest Virginia
    If you've never used Dyna Beads you have no valid input here! I'm surprised you ride a motorcycle instead of a proven and tested horse!
    They're not messy. When you dismount the tire just scoop out the beads with a cut off plastic bottle and pour them into the next tire. Way less mess than gluing and cleaning off old tire weights.
    04 R1150RT
    09 R1200GS
    Homemade trailer for behind Both.

Tire Balancing

If you balance the rims first and then install the tire you willfind may tires need little or no weights at all. I lived in the north for may years and access to a changer but not a balancer so I drove without balancing the tires and never had a problem.
    Dave Nicholls
    Teulon Manitoba - Canada

2010 1200RT

Ozzie Flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    Possibly. But then using beads, your tire is out of balance every time you start from a stop and who knows if they are in balance at the end. Unimportant to me since I don't use them.

Lets talk about product evaluations, be it on forums or even in the Owners News.

Some time ago I read a product evaluation on a pair of gloves on ON. Not a single word was mentioned if the lining at the finger-tips is attached to the inside of the glove. Ever pull your wet or damp hands out of a pair of gloves and the fingers came along with them? Ever try to stuff them back in in a snap...good luck. Who ever wrote up that incomplete evaluation had no business evaluating them in the first place. Its not a feature I should have to ask if it is taken care of.

BTW, are all or most product evaluations of products, products that are "advertised" in the ON?

On another forum, a vendor introduced his new battery charger & maintainer that promised you the world. A spiffy looking colorful charger going under the name Save-A-Battery. Yup it even load tests a battery as well. It took me a while to find out how a device that small and compact can do a load test at 1/2 the CCA. Well it doesn't; it does a 20W load test...yup, about as much as a turn signal bulb...less than 2 amps.

And then it charges all types of batteries: SLA, GEL, Dry Cell, AGM and Spiral Cell. Well if it is built to charge a GEL, then it is on the low side for other batteries. The company did not provide their charging algorithm values when I asked. Proprietary information which I could easily get from a data logger in my lab at work.

Of course the usual lemmings on the forum flocked to buy it for a while, till they knew otherwise.

You see, one should not question things. When people question, that means they are thinking. You own government hates it when you think. That is why they give you Hollywood.

Your pontificating again
    regards
    Paul
    Ozzie Flyer
    BE KIND TO HUMANS... THEY BITE

No Balance?

I have been mounting my own tires for a LONG time now and just got away from balancing at all!!! I use the factory red dot marks to align tire to rim/valve stem still but nothing more. In about 15-20 tires now, I have had NO balance issues at all and not a minute wasted in balancing any of them. All this talk and time on balance and nobody even gives a thought the tire may NOT need it. Mine have not! I like the tire beads idea, never having used them, but cool idea. Why wouldn't even something as simple as water in the tire/wheel work??? We use water in our tractor tires all the time on the ranch, but not for balance issues. Seems to me the beads work the same as any equal amount of liquid in the same place???? Anyhow, ya'll should consider riding your bikes a while before wasting your time with a balance, just maybe you get a surprise. Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    I have been mounting my own tires for a LONG time now and just got away from balancing at all!!! I use the factory red dot marks to align tire to rim/valve stem still but nothing more. In about 15-20 tires now, I have had NO balance issues at all and not a minute wasted in balancing any of them. All this talk and time on balance and nobody even gives a thought the tire may NOT need it. Mine have not! I like the tire beads idea, never having used them, but cool idea. Why wouldn't even something as simple as water in the tire/wheel work??? We use water in our tractor tires all the time on the ranch, but not for balance issues. Seems to me the beads work the same as any equal amount of liquid in the same place???? Anyhow, ya'll should consider riding your bikes a while before wasting your time with a balance, just maybe you get a surprise. Randy
    Good Point...

I have changed my tires three tires now with Dyna-beads... it is neither a trouble or a chore... i ride dual sport and super slap highway... never ever a problem...

Take a deep breath everyone... relax... you may not know as much as you thank... and if you did... wouldn't it be a really boring existence?
    Ich Fahre Nicht Zu Schnell, Ich Fliege Nur Niedrig
    Oklahoma Adventure Trail

Good to see that someone has web working in OK City!

As tires wear that wear is often not even, thus the possible need to re-balance a tire that may have been perfect at the time of mtg.
    Hey, what about the liquid to balance notion? Is a fluid going to move to slow to cause the desired effect?
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    I use the factory red dot marks to align tire to rim/valve stem still but nothing more.
    I do the same in that I use the red dot but I do not "assume" that the tire valve is a particular area to which the red dot should be aligned with.

That is why I place the rim on my balancer to find the "actual" heavy spot of the rim. And even at that, I need to use weights. I'm also not about to de-mount the tire numerous times to find the best combination.

You might want to check your balancer. When your wheel is balanced (stops at random locations) and you then place a 7 gram (1/4 oz) weight on it and rotate the wheel one-spoke width to either side and it swings back to the bottom, you know your balancer is sensitive. Do the trig.

sheps3
    I have used Dyna Beads on several bikes, and even 35 inch truck tires. Love them. Best thing about them is no slung weights or duct tape repairs on wet muddy rims. I have even placed the heavy point mark any where on the rim on purpose, dumped in beads and good to go. Just wanted to see if they worked as advertised. Keep an extra 3 ounce bag in with tire kit and tire can be changed any where.