Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dynabeads Tire Balancing- Good or Bad?

Quote Originally Posted by lmo1131 View Post
    Bouncing, or the sensation that the front end is pulsing up and down (wheel hop). Unexplained vibration. A sensation that the handlebars are trying to shimmy. Cupping on the surface of the tire, or abnormal wear on one side.
    Thank you, sir. And, since I use Dynabeads, and have none of the above-listed symptoms, in fact, I experience the exact opposite of those symptoms, I am of the belief that my tires, when in motion, are balanced. Another responder asked how users of Dynabeads know that their tires are balanced. I can not prove that with empirical evidence. Nor, as far as I know, can someone else prove that my tires, when in motion, are NOT balanced.

I have only my personal experiences on which to base my belief. But, personal experience is what the OP asked about.
    Piperjim

'95 R1100RS
    '61 John Deere 3010 LP

Quote Originally Posted by piperjim View Post
    How do you know they're not balanced?
    Well with weights and my own home made balancer, I know they are balanced.

How do you know they are balanced using Dyna Beads? I don't want to know if they are un-balanced, but I do want to know that they are.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    I don't want to know if they are un-balanced, but I do want to know that they are.
    Motorcycle tires with Dynabeads installed (and in motion) are either balanced or un-balanced. Like pregnancy, there is no "sort of" balanced. If you know they are un-balanced, that eliminates the possibility of them being balanced.

Technology changes, times change, advances are made. Metallic weights are likely 100 years old. Surely there can be a better alternative, or there will be a better alternative. Maybe that better alternative is Dynabeads, maybe it's not. My personal experience, and that's all that I can speak to, is that Dynabeads are better. If you have a different experience, please share it. That is what the original poster asked, for responses based on personal experience.

You ask how Dynabead users know their tires are balanced? I can't prove that. Perhaps you can prove that they are, or that they are not. Either answer is of equal value in answering your question.
    Piperjim

'95 R1100RS
    '61 John Deere 3010 LP

I can't prove that.
    So you don't know. OK.

So you don't know. OK.
    And you, evidently, do not know otherwise.
    Piperjim

'95 R1100RS
    '61 John Deere 3010 LP

And you, evidently, do not know otherwise.
    I do. I know that mine are perfectly balanced and can prove it.

But some of us know that the internet is the greatest source of unconfirmed information.

Just look at some of the utter junk aka gear that appears on this and other forums with members praising how good it is without any technical knowledge. That recent voltage monitor comes to mind. And then there are those battery maintainers. Let me roll my eyes. LOL

With static balance do tires stay in balance(after say half tread life wear) w/o periodic re-balancing?
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

I do. I know that mine are perfectly balanced and can prove it.

But some of us know that the internet is the greatest source of unconfirmed information.

Just look at some of the utter junk aka gear that appears on this and other forums with members praising how good it is without any technical knowledge. That recent voltage monitor comes to mind. And then there are those battery maintainers. Let me roll my eyes. LOL
    You are right there, and it's not just limited to the internet!

However, I have a friendly offer for you. With a tag of GlobalRider, you must certainly have a larger than average sense of adventure. Will you take a chance on this? I'll purchase, for you, enough Dynabeads for one of your bikes. Install them when you put on fresh tires and give them a try. Let your friends ride it, not knowing that there are Dynabeads installed, ask their perception. Make your own observations. At least you can say, "I tried 'em". As a disclaimer, I am not associated with Dynabeads, do not know anyone associated with Dynabeads, and have no interest in the company, except as a satisfied customer. I just believe they work, and offer you a chance to try them, at my expense.

PM me with the info I need and I'll order the Dynabeads immediately for shipment directly to you. I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is....will you take me up on the offer?

Thanks,
    Piperjim

'95 R1100RS
    '61 John Deere 3010 LP

Here is another classic example of advice/info without any substance...an e-mail received from another coworker at work...

Hi Alex,

Thanks for looking into that. I was actually talking to my buddy Rob at (name of shop removed) Motorcycle Repair. He was saying that there's a school of though that welding cable should not be used for alternators or winches. He wasn't sure why though??? Something about the numerous strands??? What are your thoughts on this?
    My coworkers (techs and engineers) just had to .

Welding cable has a very high strand count which results in a very low resistance and therefore very low voltage drop per unit length. As an added bonus, it is extremely flexible and has a good layer of insulation. I really don't care what cable it is, as long as it has a very low resistance...usually cable with extremely high strand counts.

When you have a winch drawing 435 amps at full load, you want as close as possible...zero resistance cable.

Will you take a chance on this? I'll purchase, for you, enough Dynabeads for one of your bikes.
    Thanks, but no thanks.

I can't confirm how well they will work. My present system works.

I work in a lab and used to work in a standards lab for fifteen years. Guessing or assuming was not part of our daily routine.

If they work for you, fine. Just don't make any claims without an actual measurement. All that matters is that you or any other user is happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    With static balance do tires stay in balance (after say half tread life wear) w/o periodic re-balancing?
    I don't lock up my tires and flat-spot them.

My very even tire wear and mileage obtained when it comes time to change them tells the story. But I'll measure them the next time out of curiosity.

I wonder, does the ON carry an advertisement for Dyna Beads?

The last set of tires I had put on my '93LT were loaded with the Dynabeads. I had the shop leave the old stickon weights in place. Rode this way for a two weeks without any notice of balance issues. Removed the stickon weights and could not tell a difference when riding. No, I didn't have any fancy sensors to monitor vibration. All I had was my ass and it was good with the Dynabeads. I am about ready for new skins on the old girl and you can bet there will be Dynabeads installed.
    Jeff
    93 K1100LT
    03 K1200GT

For the ultimate in balance and protection for my wheels, I filled them with gremlin bells. I have never felt more balanced and protected at 130 MPH.
    Only kidding don't try this at home.
    John Simonds
    2008 R 1200 GSA
    1975 850 Norton Roadster
    If it ain"t broke... fix it till it is.

An alternative to Dynabeads

http://counteractbalancing.com/count...echnology.html

"Made of a patented specially coated glass bead that will not breakdown or degrade, our balancing beads are placed directly into the tire where they are free to move and adjust to balance imperfections as they develop. Our balancing beads automatically balance the complete wheel assembly."
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

I get better entertainment from bead threads than oil threads as they break new ground at times. FWIW, you don't have to be a hot rod type rider/ driver or racing use to have tires that become out of balance after substantial use.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.