Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dynabeads Tire Balancing- Good or Bad?

On the Road

Dynabeads Tire Balancing- Good or Bad?

I'm looking to dabble in changing my own tires. I've been reading good things about Dynabeads for balancing the wheels. Does anyone have any experience with them, good or bad?

Thanks!

Nick Kennedy
    Dynabeads are awesome. If you want the Ultimate ride, balance the wheels with weights and then put in the Dynabeads. I did this on my 1990 K75 RT and with the smooth engine and double balancing, the bike is a TRIP to ride. Talk about low vibration! It really makes a difference.
    Nick Kennedy

I'm moving this thread over to "gear" since it isn't K bike specific. If you can search (it's not clear that's working right now) there have been some very extensive discussions of dynabeads - and the physics of them working - or not. I have no dog in this race, but I don't use them.

Hang on while the thread gets moved.. and please keep your hands and feet inside the thread until it comes to a complete stop, for your safety and protection..

Offfffffff.. we go..........
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

I have used them for ~ 8 years & they work great for me in every way-ease of use(dump them in),cost(I reuse them),don't fall off(thus not adding junk to the environment), ride is smooth & tire wear normal, & I get to brag them up too
    If you don't own a small scale weigh them at the USPS . I used a gunpowder scale at 1st then bought an electronic scale for like 99cents on ebay that weighs increments of tenths of an ounce or metric up to 76#'s and was shipped from, you guessed it, for free!
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

If you can search (it's not clear that's working right now) there have been some very extensive discussions of dynabeads ...
    marchyman is my new WWW tech guru hero for turning me (and I now pay forward) a technique for using "Google" to search a particular website.

On the google search line... type > site:bmwmoa.org dynabeads (for example). Put a space between the last letter of the URL. You can further the information you are seeking with a "+" after "dynabeads" (for example) and add, say, a username to find posts about dynabeads made by an individual.

This will work with any website that allows google searches.

Oh yeah, the dynabead search results > https://www.google.com/search?q=site...ient=firefox-a

Here's the one you're probably thinking of > http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...-and-balancing

P-R-E-T-T-Y cool if ya ask me.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Static Balancing

Static balancing is so quick and easy, and a well proven way to balance tires. Why mess with some other method with so many questions ?
    Dave Nicholls
    Teulon Manitoba - Canada

2010 1200RT

Same bike, same brand and model tires over two sets, with Dyna bead and without: No noticeable difference.
    Walter

All government, of course, is against liberty.
    H. L. Mencken

Used dyna-beads in all of my HS's and my CLC. Worked great every time.

RIDE SAFE
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

I hate changing tires when people use them. You have to remember to vacuum them out or they end up all over the shop. You sure don't want them in your wheel bearings

Just my .02

I dabbled with the Dyna-beads myself for a short while. I had a tire that would not balance with them. Not sure if the beads had anything to do with it or not. The cost and mess turned me off as well. My wife and I go through a lot of tires, enough to justify a Marc Parnes balancer. Stop by with some weights if you want to use it. I have a tire changer you can use too.
    Jim McGill
    '87 K100RS
    '04 R1150RT

Since you asked.....

Well, not EXACTLY an oil or tire thread.....
    A couple years ago, I asked about Dynabeads.... 103 replies later....

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...ight=Dynabeads
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Are Dynabeads safe with tire presure monitors?

Quote Originally Posted by tmwkicker View Post
    I'm looking to dabble in changing my own tires.
    I have since day one of motorcycle ownership and I balance my own tires.

A balance wheel is a balanced wheel no matter what method you use. I use stick on wheel weights and my wheels are perfectly balanced.

I'd like to know how owners using Dynabeads really know their wheels are balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    I have since day one of motorcycle ownership and I balance my own tires.

A balance wheel is a balanced wheel no matter what method you use. I use stick on wheel weights and my wheels are perfectly balanced.

I'd like to know how owners using Dynabeads really know their wheels are balanced.
    How do you know they're not balanced?
    Piperjim

'95 R1100RS
    '61 John Deere 3010 LP

How do you know they're not balanced?
    Bouncing, or the sensation that the front end is pulsing up and down (wheel hop). Unexplained vibration. A sensation that the handlebars are trying to shimmy. Cupping on the surface of the tire, or abnormal wear on one side.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner