Thread: Float pin replace or not to replace

Float pin replace or not to replace

I'm rebuilding my carbs and purchased new floats, but not float pins. I'm beginning to think that was a mistake. The float pins have a about 13,000 miles on them, and I figured they'd be alright. However, they are a little discolored where the old float was, and I feel a little ridge or something on them. Not much, but a very slight amount. I was hoping to save a little $$ by not replacing them, but it now looks like I should now be replaced. The pins seem somewhat loose, so I'm wondering if I really need to replace them.

In this case, I think I'm looking for advice, which is defined as I already know what the answer is, but don't like it.

Edit: I'm not worried about the discoloration, but included it just in case. I gently removed the pin by pushing it out making sure the knurled end came out first. My real concern is that there is now a distinguishable ridge where the float would ride, and I'm wondering if the float could hang up on it. Looking back, I was a bit too brief in my description.
    Last edited by 88bmwjeff; 04-28-2013 at 11:33 PM.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

I can't imagine why the pins would really need to be replaced. Discoloration can't be a real problem. If they're loose, replacing them probably won't help that. The pins are knurled on one end...if they're forced out the wrong direction, there's a possibility that the holes in the bosses that accept pin will be come enlarged. IIRC, the pin should be removed by pushing on the end that has the knurling on it.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by 88bmwjeff View Post
    I'm rebuilding my carbs and purchased new floats, but not float pins. I'm beginning to think that was a mistake. The float pins have a about 13,000 miles on them, and I figured they'd be alright. However, they are a little discolored where the old float was, and I feel a little ridge or something on them. Not much, but a very slight amount. I was hoping to save a little $$ by not replacing them, but it now looks like I should now be replaced. The pins seem somewhat loose, so I'm wondering if I really need to replace them.

In this case, I think I'm looking for advice, which is defined as I already know what the answer is, but don't like it.
    You do not need to replace the pins unless damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    I can't imagine why the pins would really need to be replaced. Discoloration can't be a real problem. If they're loose, replacing them probably won't help that. The pins are knurled on one end...if they're forced out the wrong direction, there's a possibility that the holes in the bosses that accept pin will be come enlarged. IIRC, the pin should be removed by pushing on the end that has the knurling on it.
    I'm not worried about the discoloration, but included it just in case. I gently removed the pin by pushing it out making sure the knurled end came out first. My real concern is that there is now a distinguishable ridge where the float would ride, and I'm wondering if the float could hang up on it. Looking back, I was a bit too brief in my description.
    Jeff in W.C.

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by 88bmwjeff View Post
    I'm not worried about the discoloration, but included it just in case. I gently removed the pin by pushing it out making sure the knurled end came out first. My real concern is that there is now a distinguishable ridge where the float would ride, and I'm wondering if the float could hang up on it. Looking back, I was a bit too brief in my description.
    Two things:

1) Although I didn't parts book actually recommends replacement during a rebuild.
    2) At 89 cents per pin why are you torturing yourself? Offer the dealer 50 cents and see if he'll take it.

Splurge and replace both pins.

Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    Two things:

At 89 cents per pin why are you torturing yourself? Offer the dealer 50 cents and see if he'll take it.

Splurge and replace both pins.
    I splurged, but they were pricey at $2.50 per pin at a local dealer that stocks them. Still (at $5.50) it's worth the peace of mind. The closest dealer charges closer to the fiche price except all parts other than routine maintenance are a special order that takes 1-2 weeks depending on when you place the order.
    Jeff in W.C.