Thread: Float pin replace or not to replace

Threaded View

Float pin replace or not to replace

I'm rebuilding my carbs and purchased new floats, but not float pins. I'm beginning to think that was a mistake. The float pins have a about 13,000 miles on them, and I figured they'd be alright. However, they are a little discolored where the old float was, and I feel a little ridge or something on them. Not much, but a very slight amount. I was hoping to save a little $$ by not replacing them, but it now looks like I should now be replaced. The pins seem somewhat loose, so I'm wondering if I really need to replace them.

In this case, I think I'm looking for advice, which is defined as I already know what the answer is, but don't like it.

Edit: I'm not worried about the discoloration, but included it just in case. I gently removed the pin by pushing it out making sure the knurled end came out first. My real concern is that there is now a distinguishable ridge where the float would ride, and I'm wondering if the float could hang up on it. Looking back, I was a bit too brief in my description.
    Last edited by 88bmwjeff; 04-28-2013 at 11:33 PM.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer