Thread: Anti Sieze on Spark Plugs?

Anti Sieze on Spark Plugs?

R1100RT

Could not find a post on this. Is there an accepted best practice when installing spark plugs to use anti Sieze or not? Thanks

I always use ant-seize on spark plug threads.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

Seems to be a personal choice item. If you do use anti-seize, remember that the slipperines results in greater torque being applied than you might expect. Torque is all about the friction between the theads...a liquid, even oil, can make the threads slip more easily, resulting in a greater clamping force. I just read something by Tom Cutter who writes the racing column in the ON. He recalled a situation where one race team mechanic thought anti-seize was a good idea on the plugs for a race bike. The other mechanic didn't know it had been used and dialed in the specified torque for the plug...snapped it off in the head. Ruined the day for the racer.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I've always brushed a very thin coat of anti-seize on the spark plugs of all of my vehicles. I use the minimum specified torque. We also used anti-seize on the spark plugs of the aircraft where I worked.

I also use anti-seize on the lug nuts of my car. The manufacturer specified a product that according to them, does not affect the lug nut torque. I have trouble buying that, but who am I to argue with Porsche.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTORRADMIKE View Post
    I always use ant-seize on spark plug threads.
    +1 for anti-seize.
    MSF Instructor
    1994 R100R Mystic
    2007 Harley Electra Glide Classic
    1979 Harley FLH

BMW bike plugs don't stay in very long if you ride normally (only a few seasons at most and a season or less for some) and service at factory intervals. And torque is low with good access. So I don't use anti seize in this case. Heads don't get very hot, not at all like exhaust bolts, etc..

I prefer graphite dry lube on lug nuts but don't own a Porsche (used to call them rolling roadblocks at the track but their club racer is surely a very durable tool for play)..Nothing wrong with a tiny dab of antiseize though- torque and heat are a lot higher in this application-

If you decide to use antiseize make sure that it is catalytic converter friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger 04 RT View Post
    If you decide to use antiseize make sure that it is catalytic converter friendly.
    Its use doesn't mean it's going to be "allowed" to go past the point of use. IMO,it can even be used on a sensor if in the safe proportion. That ought to be enough to bring comments
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Its use doesn't mean it's going to be "allowed" to go past the point of use. IMO,it can even be used on a sensor if in the safe proportion. That ought to be enough to bring comments
    I agree with you, I'm a minimalist greaser. The slatherers could easily load up the ends. I think some of the anti-seize is okay.

Many opinions about yes or no, and what kind to use...

The spark plug threads are stainless steel and the heads are alloy. Both items are subjected to intense heat (and subsequent cooling) cycles. My opinion: unless you really like the idea of galling or fretting, YES, and just a little dab'll do ya.

Filling the tiny voids between the plug threads and the head threads may also help with heat transfer.

If it's getting into the combustion chamber and therefore becoming an issue for the cat, you've used too much.

When I'm feeling anally retentive (frequent these days), after I put some on the plug, I'll screw it in most of the way, and then remove it again & wipe off the excess that the insertion has pushed up the threads; then I'll tighten it down.

There is a recent, long, thread on this topic, which includes some comments by Paul Glaves. But I can't find it.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Funny that folks write about "opinions" in light of the fact spark plug makers advise against it. Just another opinion, right?
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by RINTY View Post
    There is a recent, long, thread on this topic, which includes some comments by Paul Glaves. But I can't find it.
    Here you go: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...i-seize-or-not

(psst: Google-> site:bmwmoa.org spark plugs antisieze)
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com