Thread: R75/5 Center Stand Question

Hybrid View

R75/5 Center Stand Question

I'm about to replace the center stand on my 1972 R75/5. Can anyone tell me where the two rubber "stoppers" go? (referred to as grommets in other diagrams). They are #6 and #7 on page 671 of the Clymer Manual (fig. 3). Or #18 and #19 in this diagram: http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/...um=46521237786

The diagrams show them forward of the center stand, which makes me think they aren't bumper stops. I've looked under my bike and can't figure out where they would go.

Thanks in Advance.

Been awhile since I worked on one, but I think they are installed over the spring to keep it quiet. I sold my bike several years ago, so if my memory is foggy, well so am I.

Over The Springs?

Hmm. That's an interesting idea - hadn't considered that. Over the springs might also help keep them somewhat in position, so they don't pop-off the lugs on the stand when they are not under tension (stand is up). I have an electrical tie doing that job on one spring at the moment!
    Thanks.

If your springs are popping off they may be sagged out. They are not under much stress when the stand down, but they should not just pop off.

I'm not gonna say the diagram is wrong, as it's been a while since I've examined one down there, but when I saw it, I was kornfused: those two items look like the bushings that go in to the stand mounts, to ease the pivoting and provide a sacrificial "wear point". Lightly grease those with moly.

For the springs themselves, any durable rubber sleeve will stop the rattling and singing. If there is ANY question about the reliability of the springs, replace them. Don't over-stretch them during installation; use a hooked tool or small flat screwdriver - NOT a pliers (gouges will create stress fractures) - to pop them over the fingers.

Nutfarm
    The only rubber in the stand area is the bump stop on the LH side of the frame for both stands.

The /5, /6 had one spring on each side of the center stand. Some of the later models had two springs on one side.