Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
It's good to do, but then make that an inspection on its own merit, not something piggybacked onto something else that doesn't really need to be done.

... Changing the filter is easier when its outside the tank, period.

And most bikes can go pretty much forever on the original in-tank lines if the bike is in regular use. In the cases where they don't, it's damage caused by very old fuel or some sort of contaminant. Not mileage-related, so no correlation to 24k mile filter change interval.
I accept that its easier to change the filter outside the tank. But using your own reasoning isn't moving it outside the tank something that really doesn't need to be done? And there's still my original concern that fuel system designers know more than me. Since it's obviously easier to change on the outside, what did BMW know leading them to put the filter inside the tank?

I'm interested in your comment that the fuel lines go forever unless attacked by very old fuel. The three hoses inside my tank looked fine to the eye, even knowing that I'd had a catastrophic failure. Since the pump can output about 120 liters per hour but the engine consumes less than 40 liters per hour at maximum horsepower, there could be plenty of leaking hoses without most being able to know.

I assumed that ethanol was a contributing factor to the damage of my in-tank hoses but it could be that a prior owner had used some non-ethanol additive one winter (methanol or isopropyl based?). My point in bring that up is that in a fleet (1100/1150) of 10-20 year old motorcycles, hose failure is a bogeyman--one minute you're running, the next you're dead in the water.

RB