Thread: instrument board

Hybrid View

instrument board

I have a 88 r100rt and had an issue with charging.The "gen" light was not on at any time.I took the cluster apart and checked the plastic board for damage and it looked ok.I removed the bulbs and lightly cleaned the contacts.Low and behold I now have the "gen" light nice and bright with key on.The female pins on the contact did have corrosion.I used some contact cleaner and q tips to clean but is there any
    other tools for cleaning the plastic contact strip with out damaging it.I have been told its close to impossible to find a replacment board.

Most likely the board is fine, and the light is not on because the alternator rotor is bad. That's how the charge light works: should come on with the key and go out with the engine running. Otherwise there's a problem.

IOW the light is doing its job.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

Thanks Anton. After cleaning the contacts up the gen light did come on.So maybe the rotor isnt the issue.I was looking for some ideas on cleaning the contacts without damage.I also spread the prongs out alittle on the bulb socket.

Great if it lasts, but in my experience the bulb circuit is a very unlikely cause while the rotor is a very likely one.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

The boards are available through any BMW dealer, not cheap!
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

DennyPink
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure the instrument bulb circuit board for any year airhead is available anymore. I think it's NLA (no longer available) If available, it would be found under "Instruments" beginning part# 62-. You might have to look for a used one or new old stock somewhere. Good luck!
    Denny Pink
    1992 RT