Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sending my Bing Carbs out for rebuild to..............?

Do it yourself. Take lots of pictures during disassembly. Sort your parts left to right. Takes 1.5 days if you soak things in the carb cleaner basket over night. Have CONFIDENCE!

P1040528.jpg
    Helmut always wears a Helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Gosh! The Bings are some of the easiest and quickest carbs to redo. You should really squeeze the time out of your schedule. I did mine on my R100S in half a day, maybe less.

Yes, I've wondered why "adept persons" would even consider sending them out? What do they do in Council Grove,KS that I cannot perform?
    FWIW, I used to go fishing at the lake by same name, just up the road from there-pleasant little place with neat historical flavor...
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Some people don't have access to good cleaning equipment, don't want to hassle with grinding and re-staking the screws, etc. Some people just don't want to spend their time fixing stuff; they just want the stuff to work.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

gasgets,

Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    Some people don't have access to good cleaning equipment, don't want to hassle with grinding and re-staking the screws, etc. Some people just don't want to spend their time fixing stuff; they just want the stuff to work.
    Some people just want to have a good baseline to start with, and after 516,000 miles my bike deserved it.
    I have changed many diaphrams, needles, seats, jets and floats but this time I went all the way.
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Quote Originally Posted by dmftoy1 View Post
    Fwiw, I just did two 32's for my R90/6 and with the bing DVD it was a piece of cake. The butterfly removal was easy but I spent probably 10-15 minutes fiddling with the reinstall to ensure I had it properly aligned. Not at all hard just frustrating.

Every o-ring on mine was brittle to the point of crumbling but my bike is almost 40.

If you do attempt it order new screws (stainless) for the carb tops and new butterfly screws as they don't come in the "standard" kit. $2.72 and it cost me more in gas riding around trying to find proper stainless flat head machine screws in 5mmx10 (I think that's right but don't quote me. )
    +1 on the rebuild kit and DVD from Bing. I rebuilt carbs on my 76 R90/6 and next up is my 93 r100R!

Mike Horne

JohnP
    Quote Originally Posted by brittrunyon View Post
    Wow, $600, really?
    Thanks for the Glen connection.
    My gut feeling is that I'll be finding the time.
    Thanks for the info.
    I'm with Brittrunyon - $600 for carb rebuilds is insane price. Plus get to puff out your chest a bit when you do it yourself...and use the $600 to get a pair of Delorto pumpers. Get a grip Bing!

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by JOHNP View Post
    ...and use the $600 to get a pair of Delorto pumpers. !
    Bad advice! Very bad advice! Other than the image that the dell'Ortos have of being on the famous R90S, they have nothing going for them. Aux contraire! As far as maintenance, they are a pita and the performance advantage is just not there. We are talking 30 year old bikes here. Who do you want to outrun with your airhead?

Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    I just couldn't get past the notion of the $600 flying out the door...
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.