Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Highway 50 - Nevada - The Loneliest Road in America

Nah...

.... George; some gas joints from the /5 era are abandoned on rt50 these days. Where you can get in fuel problems is if you take the side trip
    into Great Basin NP and "enjoy" the road going in & out...and UP the mountain!! If westbound at least, suddenly the distance to ELY, as stated
    on the sign just west of park entry road... where the fuel light comes on just after passing it... well, you slow down for about an hour

It is not the loneliest ...

Did it a couple of years ago. Like others have said, it is overrated.

And, BTW, it is not the loneliest highway in America. While stretches can be low traffic and there are a couple of longish stretches between communities, I have been on several roads that I believe are "lonelier" (less traffic and fewer buildings) that 50 across Nevada. One that gets my vote is 395 running north-south in eastern Oregon. Plus, there are roads in western Kansas and western Nebraska, or eastern Colorado, or eastern Montana, or ... well, you get the idea. When you live out here, you get so used to lonely roads that 50 across Nevada doesn't impress you much.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

I did it a couple of years ago late Sept. on a cross country ride to the east coast. I left Tahoe and drove about 775 miles straight to Moab in around 9 hours. Here's my thoughts:

1) It is not that lonely-if you break down, a car will come along soon enough. But sure, bring water.
    2) Buy gas when you can. I also got VERY low on gas until I hit Austin.
    3) I took the Kingsbury grade down from the Sierras. I recommend that section as it is twisty and fun.
    4) I had to put a piece of masking tape on my visor to block the Sun-it is very bright and strong if you leave at Sunrise like I did and go east.
    5) Speed seems to be no problem. At 110 I didn't pass a car for an hour (going my way, plenty coming at me).
    6) Beautiful purple/blue sunsets can be seen.
    7) I left the bike running when I'd pee or take pictures. I didn't want to have an unexpected dead battery or EWS failure!
    8) Damn, I need to try highway 6 now!

It is more enjoyable if you are a student of geology. Lake Tahoe was created when a granite slab sunk 6000 feet and filled with water. Nevada is a continuation of these sunken slab areas, called basin and range, all across to Utah. Sections sunk at regular intervals and the high sections wore into mountains. Hence, you go flat for about 15 miles, then cross small mountains. You do this over and over and over about 20 times I'd guess. It is a fun road if you like desert scenery and don't go during the worst heat (Sept. was fantastic).

Here is a section of my travel journal:

The desert entices you to speed. Speed feels right here, natural here. Once out of towns, I cracked open the throttle plates and the big boxer began chugging along like the locomotive it is: 80-90-100-110 mph. I set the cruise at 110 for a good hour.

Speed demands attention. At 100 mph, you cover a football field in 2 seconds. Look at a rear view mirror and you've traveled 100 yards. A lot can change at that speed. It gets tiring maintaining that level of focus for hours, so I backed off to 90 mph for stretches to relax and view some scenery.

It was a bit eerie crossing the desert alone. I saw so many riders in groups. At a station, one group of 3 was surprised I was riding alone. I'm a loner by heart, but I was looking forward seeing Doug in Moab. I was running on fumes as I was not prepared for the long (140 mile) gasless stretch before pulling into Austin for fuel. The basin and range is just that. Long stretches of perfectly flat roads, then a short section of mountains, repeat-over and over and over. Mountains were spaced 10-15 miles apart.
    Last edited by RoboRider; 04-30-2013 at 03:11 PM.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

We did it border to border last year returning from our southwest tour....boring! The only excitement was the high, gusty winds in some of the valleys that literally almost blew us off the road. I was very happy when we finally reached Reno..

BMW Rider
    Thanks to all for the replies. I'm hope to be making it to the Bonneville Salt Flats this summer and intend on doing Route 50 as part of the trip.

Maineak

Rt 21

Done that ride both directions several times. I enjoy the ride, it's desolate, but beautiful in it's own special way. If heading East and you want to ride a really desolate road, try Baker, NV to Milford, UT. A 90 mile stretch of road with nothing! Just watch out for cattle or sheep - it's free range country. I rode Rt 21 last April, and at one point was navigating through hundreds of sheep in the road! Dumb critters!

Rt 21 is way more desolate than 50 and there is a great place for malts and milkshakes in Milford.
    Knick
    F800GS
    Vespa ET4

Yes, I have been out there.
    Last Wednesday I rode from Beatty to Tonopah and then on 6 to Ely.
    That some say, is more lonely.
    There was one cow (or bull?) meandering across the road as I approached, just east of Tonopah. He was headed for a rocket on a pole, a display item for the range (for missiles, I guess). The rocket like a display or indicator for the dirt road south from there.
    Why he had an interest in the rocket, I have no idea, but he (she?) was on a straight line across the road for it.
    dc

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by HexST View Post
    Rt 21 is way more desolate than 50 and there is a great place for malts and milkshakes in Milford.
    Now this sounds like a route worth becoming part of the overall ride!!

Thank you for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by David13 View Post
    There was one cow (or bull?)
    I'm guessing you're from the city, not the country, eh?

BTW, this sort of traffic obstruction is pretty common in rural areas; I've been caught in them in so many spots (Wyoming, Montana, both Dakotas, Nebraska, etc.) I can't recall them all.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    I'm guessing you're from the city, not the country, eh?

BTW, this sort of traffic obstruction is pretty common in rural areas; I've been caught in them in so many spots (Wyoming, Montana, both Dakotas, Nebraska, etc.) I can't recall them all.
    When you're from the big town (I am) I find critters crittering along highways and by-ways to be pretty interesting and amazing. I'm far more used to cab's trying to run you down. And, on top of it those critters help me to meet my fears. Because you see although I may not fear riding around hundreds and hundreds of cars during rush hour I am a bit afraid to stand next to a cow. They're just so darn big and they could hurt me!!

I've lived in cities. But I have been on, I have visited farms.
    I was just concerned about seeing a beef like that maybe 50 to 100 miles from anything like a farmhouse.
    And concerned about avoiding the direct collision route we were on, rather than inspecting his/her personal characteristics.
    I was also distracted from any inspection of the bovine, or bovine of the female persuasion, by the rocket located on the other side of the road.
    But I promise you, just for you, next time I will stop and make a close inspection, so that I might report.
    dc

Just be careful if you traverse these lonely Nevada highways at night. At sometimes of the year those cows on the open range will flock to the highways seeking the warmth of the blacktop.

Been there, seen that! (Originally from Fallon, NV and have personal knowledge of this...lol)

Cheers!
    Bill Johnston

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by LngRdr View Post
    Not from border to border, just from Reno, NV to Pueblo, CO. Nice ride, not much traffic.
    I just happened to see you're from Moore, OK, a town previously unknown to most of us I assume. How did you make out? Are you OK?