Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Highway 50 - Nevada - The Loneliest Road in America

BMW Rider

Highway 50 - Nevada - The Loneliest Road in America

Any folks ever done this ride from border to border on Highway 50?

Hwy 50

Not from border to border, just from Reno, NV to Pueblo, CO. Nice ride, not much traffic.
    IBA Number 49673
    Moore OK
    http://lngrdr.blogspot.com/

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by LngRdr View Post
    Not from border to border, just from Reno, NV to Pueblo, CO. Nice ride, not much traffic.
    I should have been clearer. Border to border meant within Nevada.

It can be a great ride....

....in summer at least, only times I've been across either direction, maybe 3 times different directions.
    I like westbound slightly better, mostly because AM departures have no sun in-ye eye mate. And you arrive Reno instead of nowhere Utah.
    Dont be out late on ole 50! Good lodging, even camping in Ely....ALWAYS a layover for me & most others.
    There will be a gaggle of us on it after the OR National heading to Paonia Co's Top of Rocky rally during our enroute back east this July.

Its a DRY heat in summer... often chilly in the morning; your riding at 4 to 5 thousand feet with "passes" at sixty five to near eight thou!

It's a great experience, there really are places were there's "nothing". It's pretty straight, as fast as you want it to be and it is still far superior to taking the interstate.

If you go have a "breakdown" plan. Mine was to make sure we had plenty of extra water and a plan for shade should we find ourselves having to wait a while for help. Granted this was on a cross country side car trip with my son on our hack so I was a little more leery about worst case scenarios than I would have been if I were alone.

Hwy 50

I left my bike running when I stopped to take pictures, a whole lot of empty in all directions. When I got close to where it connects to I70, the worlds fattest coyote ran across right in front of me, I think both our lives passed before our eyes until we realized we had missed each other.
    IBA Number 49673
    Moore OK
    http://lngrdr.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    Any folks ever done this ride from border to border on Highway 50?

I live just off of it, in Ohio,and have ridden every mile of US 50 east & west,.....except !! the part known as the loneliest road, through Nevada. As I got close I chicken'd out . I was alone it was summer, and that little voice kept saying....maybe better not .

But even I-80 is "empty" and hot. So give some thought to it and as others have said be prepared.

Be careful if the mormon crickets are swarming Hwy 50 can get so inundated with them their carcasses make the road very slick.
    Knick
    F800GS
    Vespa ET4

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    yup. Got the T Shirt. Late July 1998 on a '75/5 solo. Lots of interesting sights that I would not see in my N.E. backyard. Stopped a few times and ventured down a couple of paths into the desert. What's a "back up plan"? Don't forget to get gas at that funky little store on the west end. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Way over rated road for a motorcycle; big, wide, smooth pavement and almost no turns. Highway 6 is my choice when I cross Nevada by motorcycle. Highway 50 is my choice when I cross Nevada by RV.

It's a local road for us. We ride it to Utah, Colorado 2 -3 round trips a year. Sometimes a lunch ride from Reno to Austin, NV.
    What did you want to know ?

I did it back in the 80s on my R100RS. Got passed by a State Trooper while I was doing 90 and only got a friendly wave. In the towns I recommend doing 5 MPH under the limit. They are serious about not speeding in town. Also rode about 50 miles of the western portion of the road last fall. Did not seem to have changed much.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Over the years I have riden most of Highway 50 coast to coast. My first trip out west back in 1981 I was riding a Honda CX500 Custom the fuel tank was only 2.3 gallons and was only good for 100 miles. I strapped a 2 gallon plastic lawn mower tank to the rack for more fuel range for that trip. Come back I followed 50 to Montrose Co. Come 50 through Nevada was not any problem. Come through Utah most of 50 was I70 and was 2 lane. some getting close to 200 miles from Colorado I remember seeing a sign about no gas for the next 160 or soo miles that was the only time I really need the extra gas.
    1975 R90/6, 1980 and 1982 R65, !959 TR3A Triumph Car

Caribbean Druid
    Also, be aware that Hwy 50 thru NV, especially between Ely and Fallon, runs perpendicular to a number of alternating wide valleys (5-10 miles each) and high ridges. This funnels the wind down the valleys and it can get VERY windy. I've had days out there when the wind was blowing hard enough to have me leaning hard into it, and still getting pushed from one side of the lane to the other. Usually not dangerous, but it will keep your attention, LOL.

Been there, done that...."you can see for miles and miles...."

A great experience...just be sure you buy fuel at every opportunity. When I did this section on my /5 back in the 80's, I was running on fumes in a few places. There may be more fuel stops now.
    George
    R1200RT, K1200RS. Previous K1200LT, R80RT, R100R, R75/5