Thread: 06 R1200RT Catalytic Converter removal

Hybrid View

06 R1200RT Catalytic Converter removal

I am curious if anyone has just removed the catalytic converter while keeping the stock exhaust? Can it be removed without destroying the piping it's encased in and reuse that? Does it provide any benefits or does it create any problems? I am just curious as this is something I have considered doing and yes I know it's against federal law and don't care.
    Chuck Senn
    2006 R1200RT (Red)

You may not care about it, but bet other people do. It gains you nothing. The exhaust is not a limiting factor in airflow through the R1200 motors. Valves are, and removing the cat-converter will do nothing at all for that restriction. The flow is only as big as the smallest opening. It will make the bike considerably louder since the cat-converter also is the primary muffler for the hexhead bikes.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Thank you for the reply, I guess I'm just havin an itch to start another project. I guess there's not much point in it if just for a louder exhaust as I like the quiteness and prefer listening to music vice exhaust noise.

Thanks again,
    Chuck
    Chuck Senn
    2006 R1200RT (Red)

I will say that I heard a RT a few weeks ago that had a Remus muffler and it sounded nice without being obnoxious. It gave the bike a little more character. That said, a stock bike is often the most reliable one. YMMV.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

I wish I had an extra catalytic converter to play with. I have a welding shop with every type of process available to use and would love to remove the insides, hook it back up and see how it sounds. It would be chaeper than purchasing new exhaust and the sound might be really nice!
    Chuck Senn
    2006 R1200RT (Red)

Just remember that the CAT is a required item by US and state laws. Most jurisdictions have not started testing MC exhaust as yet, but if checked you will have a very expensive replacement to make.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Quote Originally Posted by cwsenn View Post
    Thank you for the reply, I guess I'm just havin an itch to start another project. I guess there's not much point in it if just for a louder exhaust as I like the quiteness and prefer listening to music vice exhaust noise.

Thanks again,
    Chuck
    If you want a project that will pay you real dividends in performance, consider integrating a pair of LC-1s from Innovate Motorsports to your 1200. As a by-product you get a deeper exhaust note. There is a lot of information on how to do this in the Oilhead section and a short thread I started here. It can be undone simply, if you wish when you sell your bike.

RB

"test pipe"

I would think any competant muffler shop could fabricate a "test pipe" to replace your cat. I use one all the time
    on trucks used for OHVs for fire safety. "test pipe" being simply a section of tubing with inlet/outlet matching the cat and bent to fit perfect. That way you could tryout the process without spending a fortune. I suspect that removing the cat won't have the effect you desire, just make more noise, well and pollute the air we have to breathe.
    Will Stagg Central Coast of Commiefornia
    2012 R1200RT (most awesome unit)
    1978 R100/7 (sidecar tug )
    Yamaha TW200 adventure bikes (3) waay fun units

Quote Originally Posted by arbolmano View Post
    I would think any competant muffler shop could fabricate a "test pipe" to replace your cat.
    Remus has a system already available, so why go to the trouble of fabrication?
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S