Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Selling it aint so easy...

The USPS Check is something I hadn't thought of, and didn't know they could verify it on sight. I will check with the local post office tomorrow and if that's true I'll tell the buyer that would be acceptable as well,

Thanks for the info.
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

Better call the post office a day or so ahead...never known those folks to keep much money in the till.
    MOA #46783
    2014 R1200RT

Question USPS Certified Check?

You sure about that? I've never heard of USPS checks, certified or otherwise. I couldn't find anything about it on their web site. They do sell money orders but only up to $1000. The post offices in other countries run banks but not in the US.
    1983 R100RS (Sold)
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289
    ABC 13558

Cash advance is $50 when I buy stamps-that's a long ways from buying much of a MC? I seriously doubt my PO takes that much in in a week.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by markaz View Post
    You sure about that? I've never heard of USPS checks, certified or otherwise. I couldn't find anything about it on their web site. They do sell money orders but only up to $1000. The post offices in other countries run banks but not in the US.
    It's a Postal Money order...used them before, recall it's a $1000 max per order...and no they won't cash that amount...at least in my small town PO
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Their website has the info. Basically up to $1000 per check and you may purchase 10 per day. So not really much help there. I guess the buyer could go back the next day for the rest, but it seems like an awful lot of trouble. You would have to bring a lunch or starve by the time a Postal Clerk cranked out 17 checks!
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by Firenailer View Post
    I have a buyer coming in from out of state, only 2 hrs away but still far enough to make me uneasy. The only way I'm transferring my title is if we go to the bank together when he gets here and I see the teller make the check out in my name. So far he seems to be OK with that.

After that he gets the keys, Title and my best wishes for a safe trip home. It's just too much money to mess around with.
    That's what was done with my K75. Bike delivery was a condition of the sale. The PO rode the bike to my credit union. I handed him a cashiers check and he signed the bike over to me and handed me the keys. His transportation home was not my headache. Overall, it was the easiest vehicle purchase I have ever done.
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

Sold my RT today. Told him to bring cash and he did.

A sack full of money made my day
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

I worry if the cash is all good. Once when selling a car, I had the guy go with me to my bank. Their cash counting machine verified that the cash was all good and the count. We then went over to a table and finished the transaction. Safer in many ways

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jbarneshb View Post
    I worry if the cash is all good. Once when selling a car, I had the guy go with me to my bank. Their cash counting machine verified that the cash was all good and the count. We then went over to a table and finished the transaction. Safer in many ways
    Good thinking. Having been the recipient of counterfeit a few times through the years I won't allow a cash sale to proceed until doing exactly what you did. Only then does the paperwork get completed.

It turns out selling it really isn't easy, I had a deal with a buyer, but kept looking at the bike wondering if I was making a mistake, so we went for a ride to think it over.....

Well he was pretty disappointed, but he understood.

I may not ride as much as I used to, but I'd hate to wake up on that perfect morning and have nothing in the garage when I feel the call.

I had plenty of reasons why I was selling, all of them valid - distracted drivers, getting older, seeing too many friends going down for whatever reason, most often the cell phone using, make up applying, texting idiots we share our deteriorating roads with here in NY, and probably the biggest one being that I just don't tour much anymore which is what the RT really does best.

All that being said, I'm just not ready to let it go yet. and my 2012 RT has now been replaced by the Wethead. Maybe I'm just lucky but I still think mine is as terrific as the day I picked it up 7500 miles ago, and I've never had a single issue with it. Maybe the "Wethead" will be terrific, but I'd hate to decide To get another bike in a year or so and not be able to replace this one.

In the end, it was probably just easier to keep it for another few years and see what happens then...
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firenailer View Post
    It turns out selling it really isn't easy, I had a deal with a buyer, but kept looking at the bike wondering if I was making a mistake, so we went for a ride to think it over.....

Well he was pretty disappointed, but he understood.

I may not ride as much as I used to, but I'd hate to wake up on that perfect morning and have nothing in the garage when I feel the call.

I had plenty of reasons why I was selling, all of them valid - distracted drivers, getting older, seeing too many friends going down for whatever reason, most often the cell phone using, make up applying, texting idiots we share our deteriorating roads with here in NY, and probably the biggest one being that I just don't tour much anymore which is what the RT really does best.

All that being said, I'm just not ready to let it go yet. and my 2012 RT has now been replaced by the Wethead. Maybe I'm just lucky but I still think mine is as terrific as the day I picked it up 7500 miles ago, and I've never had a single issue with it. Maybe the "Wethead" will be terrific, but I'd hate to decide To get another bike in a year or so and not be able to replace this one.

In the end, it was probably just easier to keep it for another few years and see what happens then...
    Hmmm...pretty interesting. So not really about the possibility of getting defrauded, but the seller is not sure he wants to sell. My advice, don't sell. If you want to try the water bike, buy one early next spring and then you will probably like it after a month and want to sell the camhead. There are plenty of curmudgeons out there who think the old days are better days. Next spring is soon enough, probably better than late in the season.
    When you sell, have the buyer show up with a cashier's check for the amount, written on a bank near you. Then before you turn over the bike, both of you go to the branch of that bank and cash the check or verify it. New owner rides away and you continue to wonder, but you go for a ride on the new bike and the remorse seems to evaporate. Moving on, eh?
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Ha! I think I just got called a "curmudgeon"! Oh well, if the shoe fits....

Honestly though, I'm pretty sure this one is my last bike, but if I do ever decide on another, it will involve a trade in. You probably get a couple of grand extra by selling, but for me it's just not worth all of the headache involved in a private sale.

I might have to start experimenting with how to shorten up curmudgeon enough to fit on my license plate though. Maybe CRMUGN?
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

Bike purchase safety

I think PayPal is safe an attorney friend swears by them.