Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Selling it aint so easy...

Quote Originally Posted by youngatheart View Post
    I have just bought a 2004 RTP from California and am having a heck of a time sourcing a warranty Vehicle inquiry document to allow me to register it in Canada. No luck with the original owners dealer. The snow has finally gone and I would like to be able to ride it.
    Any ideas that may help would be much appreciated.
    Sorry, but the only safe way for a Canadian to buy a U.S. bike is to make the delivery, by the seller, of a Recall Clearance Letter a condition of the sale. You may now have to pay a Canadian dealer for one. Last time I checked, Alberta dealers were charging $500. Officially, RIV will also accept a print out of your bike's service history from the dealership's service database, on DEALER letterhead (or stamped by the dealer) showing "no open campaigns". If you ask your seller, he may be able to get one of these from one of the guys in his dealer's service department.

Also, the Registrar of Imported Vehicles and BMW Canada seem to have a little policy agreement whereby RIV will only accept Canadian RCL's. A few Canadian buyers have had to re submit their applications to RIV a few times to get their bikes approved.

Given that your bike is an older model, and is somewhat uncommon, your local dealer may co-operate. Good luck.
    Last edited by RINTY; 05-05-2013 at 02:50 PM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Selling a bike

3 words:
    Cash
    Cash
    Cash

Just thought you might like to hear my experience.
    Put a bike on the MOA website and IBMWR for sale
    Was contacted by a scammer who referred to the bike as "the item"
    Decided to play him out and continued corresponding
    He sent the requisite rubber check
    He asked where the bike could be picked up
    I directed him to MY OFFICE (which interestingly was the office of the Pennsylvania Attorney General).
    I notified the Pennsylvania Attorney General and sent a record of the correspondence along with the rubber check
    I told him to go to "MY Office" and told him to ask for Tom Corbit (present governor of Pennsylvania and former Attorney General)

I often wonder what ever happened to the silly bastard.

Sure was fun.

Regards,

Will

I wonder why the guy would want to go through all the trouble & expense of buying a not that rare bike half a country away.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Quote Originally Posted by will3hawks View Post
    3 words:
    Cash
    Cash
    Cash

Just thought you might like to hear my experience.
    Put a bike on the MOA website and IBMWR for sale
    Was contacted by a scammer who referred to the bike as "the item"
    Decided to play him out and continued corresponding
    He sent the requisite rubber check
    He asked where the bike could be picked up
    I directed him to MY OFFICE (which interestingly was the office of the Pennsylvania Attorney General).
    I notified the Pennsylvania Attorney General and sent a record of the correspondence along with the rubber check
    I told him to go to "MY Office" and told him to ask for Tom Corbit (present governor of Pennsylvania and former Attorney General)

I often wonder what ever happened to the silly bastard.

Sure was fun.

Regards,

Will
    There was one [extremely] brief moment, when I thought it was fun to string these barstewards along. Then I realized they were costing me time- more time than I have for them and their scam. Now, I simply delete their email. The VERY most they'll ever hear back, is a response from me saying simply, "sorry, Item is no longer available." A couple times, I actually reported scam attempts to CL, but that is an even bigger waste of time & energy.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Cash, Cash, Cash,Cash

FWIW,

If the guy is willing to part with 16 Large, he should be willing to get on a plane or jump in a car and show up. If not, hold your bike for someone who deals in cash. If the locals try to lowball you, send them packing.

Also, the dirtbag Nigerian scammers used to refer to the bike as "the item" which became an inside joke with myself and some BMW friends. I played out one scammer, told him my name was Tom Corbitt and directed him to the office of the PA Attorney General. I often wondered what happened to the dirtbag.

Regards,

Will

Webb Benninghoven
    Hello,

I've sold hundreds & hundreds of bikes online, and my experience tells me that if you've got someone with trust issues, they generally don't get better. I don't use, nor can I recommend an escrow service.

If your prospect doesn't trust you, he doesn't trust you. It doesn't get any better than that.

The way each and every one of the transactions I've done works is simple...and have been perfected through trial & error. First, terms are agreed to in writing. Second, customer sends (wire transfer usually) funds for payment in full, which is verified. Title is sent via overnight delivery to customer, and the arrangements are theirs to make for pickup. Haulbikes.com, funtransport.com, and keyboardmotorcycletransport are three shippers we've had good success with.

Any suggestion of an alternative to that wouldn't be acceptable to me.

If you have a nice bike, you'll find a nice buyer for it...hopefully someone that deserves it. Good Luck, and you can certainly PM me if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Many USA states have laws enacted to keep vehicle sales to residents, in that state.
    What sort of laws are you referring to?
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    The reason is that BMW Canada is trying to reduce/restrict the flow of foreign used bikes into the Canadian market which, in their mind, negatively impacts their sales. Dealers in Canada often flat refuse to provide this required paperwork. Ducati dealers charge a fee to provide this recall form.

A dealer in Vancouver once had a sign posted in their service department stating that if you bought your bike from a US source you were going to be waiting a VERY long time for service and you were going to pay more for that service. That dealership has since changed ownership.
    I wouldn't be our former friend John would it?
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

BMW Rider
    The reason is that BMW Canada is trying to reduce/restrict the flow of foreign used bikes into the Canadian market which, in their mind, negatively impacts their sales. Dealers in Canada often flat refuse to provide this required paperwork. Ducati dealers charge a fee to provide this recall form.
    I can't say with certainty especially if it's Canadian-related but I would doubt it's legal to refuse and/or charge for recall info. Customers are entitled to know their recall status here in the States, why on earth would you deny someone safety information of that nature? We're in a business where we actually kill off some of our customer base - we have every responsibility in the world to make sure their bike is as safe as possible.

A dealer in Vancouver once had a sign posted in their service department stating that if you bought your bike from a US source you were going to be waiting a VERY long time for service and you were going to pay more for that service. That dealership has since changed ownership.
    Should this be a true statement the dealer should have changed ownership. He has no right to be in business any longer. I'm the first to say a dealer is entitled to be profitable. However, no dealer should be guaranteed profitability. You need to earn that entitlement with your customer base. Hopefully the new owner will get things under control.

It never ceases to amaze me how so many people in all kinds of businesses forget it is the customer in control. Such a simple concept but failed in so many ways in so many businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    What sort of laws are you referring to?
    Tax/trade in laws & maybe others-I don't claim special expertise here. The auto dealers assn in various states all have a lobby & often concerns develop to get business to cross or not cross state lines. Taxes are geared toward the politicos who need/want our money & dealers who are obviously after the same end. The way a trade in vehicle affects taxes varies is the most common thing I'm aware of, other than the way an out of state vehicle purchase is taxed vs. an instate purchase. Most if not all states do have reciprocity that makes taxes paid out of state transfer to your state of registration. Some tax provisions are likely done to get voters to vote in a certain direction & appear to make certain groups look taxpayer friendly. As we get more & more mega dealers that own multiple locations, I suppose the issue will cloud up?
    Property tax law also enters into the where you register the vehicle idea. For most of us it's a no brainer/ no choice thing but many RV's are registered in certain states & perhaps more are bought there too? Cars/trucks the same. Buying in a certain place may also offer certain privilege or penalty to wrecked or repaired wrecked vehicles for reuse on street. Itinerant persons that move around by job(military,some corporations, migrant agriculture, certain skilled trades,etc.) all tend to choose there point of purchase & favorable tax laws by facts at hand. It's complicated.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

I have a buyer coming in from out of state, only 2 hrs away but still far enough to make me uneasy. The only way I'm transferring my title is if we go to the bank together when he gets here and I see the teller make the check out in my name. So far he seems to be OK with that.

After that he gets the keys, Title and my best wishes for a safe trip home. It's just too much money to mess around with.
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Tax/trade in laws & maybe others-I don't claim special expertise here. The auto dealers assn in various states all have a lobby & often concerns develop to get business to cross or not cross state lines. Taxes are geared toward the politicos who need/want our money & dealers who are obviously after the same end. The way a trade in vehicle affects taxes varies is the most common thing I'm aware of, other than the way an out of state vehicle purchase is taxed vs. an instate purchase. Most if not all states do have reciprocity that makes taxes paid out of state transfer to your state of registration. Some tax provisions are likely done to get voters to vote in a certain direction & appear to make certain groups look taxpayer friendly. As we get more & more mega dealers that own multiple locations, I suppose the issue will cloud up?
    Property tax law also enters into the where you register the vehicle idea. For most of us it's a no brainer/ no choice thing but many RV's are registered in certain states & perhaps more are bought there too? Cars/trucks the same. Buying in a certain place may also offer certain privilege or penalty to wrecked or repaired wrecked vehicles for reuse on street. Itinerant persons that move around by job(military,some corporations, migrant agriculture, certain skilled trades,etc.) all tend to choose there point of purchase & favorable tax laws by facts at hand. It's complicated.
    Motor vehicle sales tax is based on point of registration not necessarily point of purchase although both could be the same tax jurisdiction and therefore the same rate.

Some states such as Florida and New York contain multiple tax jurisdictions and those jurisdictions dictate what you're going to pay for a sales tax rate. Perfect example would be someone from NYC buys a car in Jersey. If that NYC individual registers the automobile/motorcycle in the City of New York the appropriate sales tax for the City of New York will need to be paid. To clarify when I say point of registration I mean the tax jurisdiction you live in. A NYC resident who owns a business in Jersey will pay Jersey sales tax on that vehicle if the vehicles is in the business name.

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    Motor vehicle sales tax is based on point of registration not necessarily point of purchase although both could be the same tax jurisdiction and therefore the same rate.

Some states such as Florida and New York contain multiple tax jurisdictions and those jurisdictions dictate what you're going to pay for a sales tax rate. Perfect example would be someone from NYC buys a car in Jersey. If that NYC individual registers the automobile/motorcycle in the City of New York the appropriate sales tax for the City of New York will need to be paid. To clarify when I say point of registration I mean the tax jurisdiction you live in. A NYC resident who owns a business in Jersey will pay Jersey sales tax on that vehicle if the vehicles is in the business name.
    In the state of Ohio, various counties have different sales tax rates. If you reside in Strongsville ( Cuyahoga county) and buy a bike in Brunswick (next community south, but in Medina county) upon transfer of title into your name, you pay 7.5% sales tax as oposed to the 6.75% in the county the vehicle was sold in.

You definitely have to be patient when selling bikes. I just now sold a 78 R100s which I've owned for a little over 2 years and put about 13k miles on. I first put it up on Craigslist and ADVrider last September. I listed it for $5600 obo which I admit was optimistic but still not close to what I had in it. I had a lot of interest in it a first and I thought it was sold a few times only to never hear from the parties again. Interest with time slowed up but finally some one showed up last weekend offered me 5K and I took it. Now it's time to buy something else, put money into, ride, lose interest in and sell.

selling the bike

Another alternative to cash is have the buyer send you a certified check from the USPS. When you receive it, go to your local post office and cash it. Once you have the cash in hand, ship the bike. It is better than cashiers check or any other check that have to wait for the bank to clear. The USPS will verify it on the spot and give you cash. The downfall depends on the size of the transaction. Local postal offices have limited amount of funds.