Thread: Selling it aint so easy...

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by youngatheart View Post
    I have just bought a 2004 RTP from California and am having a heck of a time sourcing a warranty Vehicle inquiry document to allow me to register it in Canada. No luck with the original owners dealer. The snow has finally gone and I would like to be able to ride it.
    Any ideas that may help would be much appreciated.
    Sorry, but the only safe way for a Canadian to buy a U.S. bike is to make the delivery, by the seller, of a Recall Clearance Letter a condition of the sale. You may now have to pay a Canadian dealer for one. Last time I checked, Alberta dealers were charging $500. Officially, RIV will also accept a print out of your bike's service history from the dealership's service database, on DEALER letterhead (or stamped by the dealer) showing "no open campaigns". If you ask your seller, he may be able to get one of these from one of the guys in his dealer's service department.

Also, the Registrar of Imported Vehicles and BMW Canada seem to have a little policy agreement whereby RIV will only accept Canadian RCL's. A few Canadian buyers have had to re submit their applications to RIV a few times to get their bikes approved.

Given that your bike is an older model, and is somewhat uncommon, your local dealer may co-operate. Good luck.
    Last edited by RINTY; 05-05-2013 at 02:50 PM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."