Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Selling it aint so easy...

Paul has a good point & it takes information/knowledge to be able to price a big ticket item just the same as a small part or it may never sell. I'll add this tidbit: When you sell a vehicle on ebay(which has lots of hits & a wide audience that includes somebodies kid in another state that bids on MC's he cannot ride cause he's 13 yrs old or the village idiot somewhere else) BUT! via overpricing the MC,car,PU or via a free classified ad there , you can get the item out there for a look by many. I've sold several items via the secondary reactions from the ads. Just put the reserve a bit high but state in the text of the ad that there is some flex so the potential buyer knows your sane & reasonable.
    A large factor when selling is to have patience that many lack. An e.g. is that you will have contacts from those that didn't spend hours or even years becoming a knowledgeable buyer for that type of item-your job becomes to try to educate them as to the particulars-that is, IF! you have the patience? Part of my point is that it's all too easy to assume they will not buy based on ignorance.
    Selling IS a job, not for the faint of heart. You also will meet some very nice & perhaps interesting people along the way...
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Paul has a good point & it takes information/knowledge to be able to price a big ticket item just the same as a small part or it may never sell. I'll add this tidbit: When you sell a vehicle on ebay(which has lots of hits & a wide audience that includes somebodies kid in another state that bids on MC's he cannot ride cause he's 13 yrs old or the village idiot somewhere else) BUT! via overpricing the MC,car,PU or via a free classified ad there , you can get the item out there for a look by many. I've sold several items via the secondary reactions from the ads. Just put the reserve a bit high but state in the text of the ad that there is some flex so the potential buyer knows your sane & reasonable.
    A large factor when selling is to have patience that many lack. An e.g. is that you will have contacts from those that didn't spend hours or even years becoming a knowledgeable buyer for that type of item-your job becomes to try to educate them as to the particulars-that is, IF! you have the patience? Part of my point is that it's all too easy to assume they will not buy based on ignorance.
    Selling IS a job, not for the faint of heart. You also will meet some very nice & perhaps interesting people along the way...
    Excellent point!

One thing to NOT DO...

Place your bike down by the road with a "for sale sign" on it. Actually it was two bikes, my wife's Honda CX500 and one of my two Honda CB750's. Each morning I would ride them down and park them on the grass on this road which sees a lot of riders. In the evening I would ride them up to the open wood shed where they lived during the riding months. Just dumb, but two stories:

1. The first guy who showed up interested in the CX500 had riding gear and I said he could take it for a short ride. (Guess that is another topic, but I've ridden the four used bikes I bought before I forked over the cash.) He managed to drop the bike at almost zero speed going down our driveway! He was embarassed as hell, but even before I could become outraged, he forked over the cash for the bike.

2. The CB750 story is a little incredible. I'd bought it for $1000 and was asking $600, having pirated some parts to the "better bike." (Both served the purpose of introducing me to riding; but both were oil-burning turkeys when I acquired them.) Anyway, the proverbial "thief in the night" stole the front wheel and speedo cable off the bike I wanted to sell, as well as soft luggage off the bike I was keeping. It just happened that a couple visiting us were sleeping in a van meer feet from the theft and never heard a thing. When I discovered the theft the next morning, all I could think was "why didn't you just steal the whole damn bike!" Eventually got a wheel with tire and speedo cable at a MC boneyard so I could get rid of the bike.

I have never regretted purchasing ($1500) the wondowless, lockable 8 X12 shed which for years has housed my motorcycle, several bycicles, and other stuff not bothered by freezing temps. Went to some pains when I got the shed to make sure that the pins could not be driven out of the hinges, that bolts could not be turned to remove the closing device. While the padlock is pretty good, I bet there are a lot of bolt clippers which would defeat it. "Out of sight..." works pretty well.

Sorry; I think I hijacked this thread.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

When selling please explain to me why (I know they must be intelligent) sellers block their plate in ad pictures? We all know you can read our plates by law on the road,etc..
    Can the boogerman look up your home address or what? FWIW, I never bother.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Can the boogerman look up your home address or what?
    You betcha. To a greater or lesser extent depending on what state you live in. Some states protect that information, but some states simply charge a fee to provide it.

Like that totally restored '36 REO Speedwagon? Wanna know where it lives.. .. .?
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Let me guess: Jay Leno has it?

As much as I Hate craig's list, it works for me. I put my mint condition 04' R1100S up for sale this weekend and the first guy to look at it paid cash and rode off with it. He got a great bike and I was happy with the price.

Thus the selling difference in living in the vicinity to millions of people vs. thousands, plus being in an area where they even know what it is...

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Thus the selling difference in living in the vicinity to millions of people vs. thousands, plus being in an area where they even know what it is...
    Well, I did get an email from a guy who wanted to know if the seating position on my S was like his HD Dyna.

I called him and suggested it would be a waste of his time and mine for him to make the 35 mile trip over to look at the bike. We had a good conversation, he was a very nice guy.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    I put my mint condition 04' R1100S up for sale this weekend and the first guy to look at it paid cash and rode off with it.
    So the "S" is gone, eh? We will be expecting the return of the sword and epaulets at your earliest convenience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKmJPnAGUJk

Don't make me form up a posse to come after you.
    Last edited by BC1100S; 04-29-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    So the "S" is gone, eh? We will be expecting the return of the sword and epaulets at your earliest convenience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKmJPnAGUJk

Don't make me form up a posse to come after you.
    I wish you would. I posted in the hex head pic thread in my usual brilliant and charming way and it is big .........nothing, nada...... I'm not sure the hex head folks talk about anything other than tire pressure. They argue tire pressure like oil head owners go on and on with oil threads.

I already miss my S and the Oil head boys and girls.

Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    I wish you would. I posted in the hex head pic thread in my usual brilliant and charming way and it is big .........nothing, nada...... I'm not sure the hex head folks talk about anything other than tire pressure. They argue tire pressure like oil head owners go on and on with oil threads.

I already miss my S and the Oil head boys and girls.
    So is it nitrogen or just compressed air?
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Sounds like "hot" is most prevalent!
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

In addition to all the other great stuff discussed here, if you want the simplest transaction, do not underestimate the value of the Front Yard For Sale sign taped to the bike. Price it right, park it at the dealership on a saturday. You'll get a local buyer, but it will take time and you have to roll the bike in and out every day.
    1978 R100RS , 1983 R80RT, 1998 R1100RT, 2000 ZRX1100, 2013 FLHRC
    I don't need an intervention, I need a bigger garage.

Quote Originally Posted by lmo1131 View Post
    You betcha. To a greater or lesser extent depending on what state you live in. Some states protect that information, but some states simply charge a fee to provide it.
    And that would be the same address (or a successor address) that has been printed in the local phone book since I was still young enough to be spotted misbehaving about the neighborhood occasioning a stern call to my mother; or the address that is published every month in the BMW Owners News (ON).
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves