Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My 98 R1100RT don't like to turn..?

BBJUMPER

Tires

Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post
    Check your tires, if they are not Michelin Pilot Road III's then you have found the problem. Just kidding about the brand making all the difference. But seriously, it sounds like bad (worn) tires.
    Mine was like that once my Pirelli Angel's became worn. I put on a pair of PR III's and problem solved, handles like a sport bike, quick and neutral...

I second that opinion...the Michelin's are the ticket...

Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post
    Check your tires, if they are not Michelin Pilot Road III's then you have found the problem. Just kidding about the brand making all the difference. But seriously, it sounds like bad (worn) tires.

I had a similar experience with my R1100RS, thinking there was a mechanical issue with the steering. I came close to selling the bike but then changed the tires to the Pilot 3's and couldn't be happier.

Quote Originally Posted by motorradmike View Post
    My guess is a squared off rear tire.
    If so, put a new one on and change your name to oldnfast!
    Wow!! What a change. Put two new tires on yesterday. Now this is the bike I thought I was buying. I just have to 'think' about going around the curve and the bike just drops into the perfect lean and away we go! It sticks to the line I choose with very little if any handlebar pressures needed.

My rear was very squared off, and my front was very 'V' shaped. It just goes to show, 'The best you know is the best you've had'

And to top it all off, BOTH tires were on backwards! They were on it when I bought it last fall, and I never thought to check that!

This bike is now a joy to ride. Surging has been eliminated, handles like a dream, new ELF pegs, and gets comments every where I go!
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by oldnslow View Post
    Wow!! What a change. Put two new tires on yesterday. Now this is the bike I thought I was buying. I just have to 'think' about going around the curve and the bike just drops into the perfect lean and away we go! It sticks to the line I choose with very little if any handlebar pressures needed.

My rear was very squared off, and my front was very 'V' shaped. It just goes to show, 'The best you know is the best you've had'

And to top it all off, BOTH tires were on backwards! They were on it when I bought it last fall, and I never thought to check that!

This bike is now a joy to ride. Surging has been eliminated, handles like a dream, new ELF pegs, and gets comments every where I go!
    I'm guessing most of that can't be due to tires but what do I know?
    So are you going for the name change to oldnfast or maybe all the way to YoungnFast?
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

I'm guessing most of that can't be due to tires but what do I know?
    So are you going for the name change to oldnfast or maybe all the way to YoungnFast?
    You were so right! I knew tires would make a difference, but wow! What a change. And nope, I'm still Old n Slow! (Got that nickname years ago when racing dirt bikes. I would go for a trail ride while a race was going on around me! )
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Doesn't happen often.
    I think I'll show my wife the part where you said I was right.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

Just a note regarding tire choices -

A while back I tried a set of the Bridgestone BT014 "supersport" tires, at the recommendation of the Bridgestone folks (email contact thru their m/c tires' website) - I had used the BT010 previously, and loved 'em, but they got discontinued.

I don't know if they had a smaller diameter or just a steeper slope center-to-sides, but they made my bike turn in much more quickly, on the edge of "too" easily. After I got used to it, I knew I could trust them to stick (heck yeah!), but I did not care for their over-reaction to lean-in.

Doesn't happen often.
    I think I'll show my wife the part where you said I was right.
    I'm not sure it counts if a MAN thinks you were right.