Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My 98 R1100RT don't like to turn..?

My 98 R1100RT don't like to turn..?

My R 1100 RT just seems to like to go straight and push through corners. My old 85 K100RT was quick and nimble in the corners. I just had to 'think' about going around a bend and the bike just went. The R1100 on the other hand seems to require quite a bit of physical input to make it go around the corners. Is the 'R' bike just that much more of a pig than the old 'K' bike? The K bike would be very neutral in a corner, once I set the line, it would stay on that line unless I changed it. the R bike seems to always want to straighten its self out, unless I keep constant pressure on the bars.
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Tires.

Check your tires, if they are not Michelin Pilot Road III's then you have found the problem. Just kidding about the brand making all the difference. But seriously, it sounds like bad (worn) tires.
    Paul
    "Friends don't let friends ride junk!"
    2011 R1200RT

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    I sometimes have that problem in the spring when I am over anxious to ride and forget to check my pressures. This year I did it again. You know... "dang this bike is harder to push around. I need to get in shape!"
    Following day I finally check the tires to find 30 in the front and 31 in the back. Uh huh....
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

My guess is a squared off rear tire.
    If so, put a new one on and change your name to oldnfast!
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

Quote Originally Posted by MOTORRADMIKE View Post
    My guess is a squared off rear tire.
    If so, put a new one on and change your name to oldnfast!
    Rear tire is squared, I will admit. Not worn to the bars, but fairly square.
    Mike Davis
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Green Bay, WI, west side about 1.5 miles from Lambeau.
    I typically run front pressure at 40 and rear at 42 on my 94 RS. Very neutral feel to me, holds the line through the turns unless I want to adjust for more lean/tighter radius. Then all need to do is increase pressure on the "inside"grip and the bike instantly responds.
    Woodenshoe to Cheesehead

RK Ryder
    My '98 R1100RT is equally as flickable (or possibly slightly more so) as my '87 K100RT.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

The R1150RT pulls to the right due to most of the fuel being carried on the right and insufficient rear wheel offset. I suppose the R1100RT is about the same. My bike became quicker turning after I changed the balance like this:

it's your tires.

a K-bike is not a more nimble machine than is an R-bike, if anything it is inherently less so. IMO.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Rear shock!

Raise the preload on the rear shock. A low hight will make the bike hard to corner, a high hight will make it dive in.
    Give it a try!
    Eddie

tires

Quote Originally Posted by oldnslow View Post
    Rear tire is squared, I will admit. Not worn to the bars, but fairly square.
    Since you have had your tires for a while I would look to inflation pressure. I have noticed big differences between different tire models in how heavy the bike feels. I actually prefer the "over stable" feel where I have to lean on the bar to keep it in the turn. Most guys don't like that. I have found that a lower profile tire tends to make it more stable in a straight line and a taller tire will give a lighter feel and can even give it the "under stable" tendency to dive into the corner. You can deal with either one after a few miles. I usually don't have a passenger or full load so I tend to keep the tires at the minimum recommended pressure - can't remember the numbers but I think 36 and 41. This makes the tires, especially the back, wear more evenly and not square off so bad, and also gives the feel I prefer. I have also found that raising the seat to the highest position makes the bike feel lighter once it is rolling. If you have the legs for it that will make a big difference.

I have altered my "cornering" (hey no snickering) technique to compensate for the over-stable behavior - I point my chin at the inside mirror and poke the knee and elbow out toward the inside, bending the elbow so my head and shoulders move that direction. That puts the necessary weight onto the bar and feels natural to me.

My 98 R1100RT always reminds me when it's getting near time to replace the tires. It becomes increasingly reluctant to turn. I just replace the tires and it's a new bike again.

That's the first place I'd check.
    MSF Instructor
    1994 R100R Mystic
    2007 Harley Electra Glide Classic
    1979 Harley FLH

Cool I can admit to my stupidity..

Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    I sometimes have that problem in the spring when I am over anxious to ride and forget to check my pressures. This year I did it again. You know... "dang this bike is harder to push around. I need to get in shape!"
    Following day I finally check the tires to find 30 in the front and 31 in the back. Uh huh....
    Tire pressure was the problem. 23psi front and rear! Increased it to 41 and 45, seems to be right now. (I always ride two up). Thanks!
    Mike Davis
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Green Bay, WI, west side about 1.5 miles from Lambeau.
    Wow,...23 psi front and rear is very low. Good that you checked it and just didn't assume there was some problem with the bike. Well, in a way there was a problem.

Insufficient tire pressure is the most common fault of riders. I am always surprised how many riders of all brands complain about handling, braking, mileage, tire wear issues. But if you ask how often they check their tire pressure, or know what pressure works best on their bike, they often look at you like, "I uh, gotta check my tire pressure?"

Now, the next best thing you can do to improve the ability if the bike to handle turns, is you. If you have not yet taken a rider course on your own bike, I suggest taking one, soon. I have gone through about five rider training courses over the years and am a 22 year MSF instructor. It keeps me sharp and confident on the bike.
    Last edited by ANDYVH; 04-29-2013 at 03:47 PM.
    Woodenshoe to Cheesehead

Quote Originally Posted by oldnslow View Post
    Tire pressure was the problem. 23psi front and rear! Increased it to 41 and 45, seems to be right now. (I always ride two up). Thanks!
    did someone (tire manufacturer or BMW dealer) suggest you go up to 41/45? those numbers seem very high to me, even running 2up. over-inflated can be just as destructive to handling and tire life as under-inflated can be.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots