View Poll Results: Are ABS brakes on a K75 worth having?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good when they work, but they don't work often

0 0%
  • Not worth having or worth the trouble to keep working

1 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: K75 ABS brake system

3 Red Bricks
    ABS is not intended for when everything is clean and dry and everthing is normal. Car or bike.

ABS is intended to help save your bacon when something is NOT normal (wet pavement, oil, sand, ice, a left turning blue hair that makes you grab a double fist full of brake lever and squeeze so hard you think your gonna bend the lever).

If you're activating the ABS in normal riding, you need to change your riding style. Car or bike.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    If you're activating the ABS in normal riding, you need to change your riding style. Car or bike.
    This.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've activated the ABS in ten years of driving cars with it. With fingers left over.

My answer to the intent of the original question is:

If you are looking to buy a K75, get one with ABS if you can. It might save your skin or life.

If it should happen to fail in a way that is too expensive to fix, blank out the light and you are where you would be if you bought a non-ABS bike.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by JamesInCA View Post
    This.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've activated the ABS in ten years of driving cars with it. With fingers left over.
    Living in a state that gets snow in the winter I activate the ABS in the car more than that in a week Same with the traction control.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Living in a state that gets snow in the winter I activate the ABS in the car more than that in a week Same with the traction control.
    There are WAY too many of us driving cars with ABS who are still operating on "pre- ABS" habits - pumping the brake. The answer is slam down the brake in you car when you can safely do so on a rain/snow/ice slick road then see what happens. Probably want to do this at a fairly slow speed at first. My belief is that it takes REPEATED PRACTICE to overcome past habits when the chips are down. You have to build new habits, not try to re-think old ones.

If you have ABS on your bike (which you probably don't ride in snow or ice,) find a safe place to practice with it on wet pavement. Same comment about the need for REPEATED PRACTICE to replace old habits. I suggest you do this practice with the bike vertical. Unless my info is not current, bike ABS is not very effective when you are leaned over and should NOT be trusted except when vertical to the pavement.

Do enough ABS tests with your car and bike and I expect you will find available traction HIGHLY VARIABLE though the road surface may look the same. You MAY have 70% of the traction in the wet that you do in the dry on the same road. (Commonly mentioned figure.) You may also find some places slick as snot though they didn't look any different. So, get comfortable with activating the ABS frequently, then make your own decision about speed in a variety of scenarios.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    It's a fair point. My state gets snow in the winter, but far away from me. :-)

If I regularly drove on snow/ice, I'd want good traction control and more, not just ABS. My BMW X3 was just magical on bad surfaces; snow, sand, gravel, whatever; it just kept going.

Another good test in a car is to pull the right side wheels off onto a gravel shoulder (leaving the left two on the pavement) then jump on the brakes (emergency stop).
    Your wheels will not lock up. It's interesting to walk back and look at your tracks in the gravel.

I do this "gravel test" on my '95 R-RS also (from about 30 mph) to intentionally activate the ABS. It is said that it is good to activate the system periodically to flush the brake fluid from
    the little cylinders inside the ABS unit, and it gives you a good reference as to what it feels like when the ABS kicks in. I Also do this purposely on snow or ice with the car.

The downside that I see to it- is that it increases your stopping distance by about 2. As the ABS pulses, you effectively have your brakes on about 50% of the time
    during that stop. Being that my bike has the earlier generation ABS and I'm unable to shut mine off, I have also tried placing a marker on the gravel shoulder and doing a panic
    stop with the ABS engaged, and another using just enough brake to not engage the ABS. If you can do it successfully, you can stop in a much shorter distance without it engaged
    than you can with it.

However, I will also admit to being very skeptical about ABS when I bought this bike (my first with ABS) but it has saved my bacon (or buttocks) a couple of times.

Ken
    IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Quote Originally Posted by JamesInCA View Post
    not just ABS. My BMW X3 was just magical on bad surfaces;.
    You're right, adding some type of stability control on top of traction control really helps. Both of our cars have it and I can feel a big difference compared to the cars we had with just traction control.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Boone, NC (Mountains of Western North Carolina)
    Thanks to everyone for their responses and opinions. The 1995 K75S with ABS I had my eye on sold before I could get a chance. I will continue to look for a nice 1994 or 1995 K75S with ABS. I believe from the responses that the overwhelming opinion is that ABS is worth having on a K75 and just might save my butt one day.

Thanks,
    Ed
    Ed Evans - - Semper Fi
    '94 K75 '92 K75S
    "Always do more than expected." Coach Jerry Moore, ASU