Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wanting to ride Death Valley National Park but not sure about the heat...

Death Valley is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by amtoro View Post
    My wife and I ride two up year-round in the south-eastern US except in the hottest part of the summer; we live in Atlanta, where the heat comes with high humidity which usually makes day-long rides very uncomfortable.

Of those who have ridden Death Valley, has anyone been there this time of the year when the temps are already approaching 100?F? My boss lived in Arizona for many years and he says it will be comfortable on the bike as the air is very dry...

Please send your comments, ideas or warnings this way; I want to hear as many opinions as possible.
    I have been through DV 10 or more times. At that time in my life I was in top condition and travelled hard, fast and light(fantastic memories). I would definitely plan my trips more carefully now but why worry. Cell phones and GPS make life much easier now. You are usually never more than 100 miles from someplace or another. I blew a fuse after midnight once and travelled 90 miles with no headlight beam. I finally stopped never finding a gas station or motel. I was alone and there were no lights anywhere. I remember being amazed. It was so dark. I wasn't properly prepared. Couldn't get to a campground, couldn't read my map (remember those).Went down a gravel road until I came across these kilns. I was lost and had missed the camp ground. The next morning I realized why. There was a green sign that said CAMP a table and barrel. I spent the night on the ground next to my 1976 R 90S. At 5 AM I woke up thinking a baby was crying. It was a jackass standing over me bellowing. He probably figured I was the jackass. And he was right. DV is a good place to be prepared for anything! You can run into anyone out there. But don't miss the trip because of fear. Just plan well and get ready to be awed. I guess I envy you and your wife. I am sure you will have a great trip and great memories and stories for future travelers. Best to you. JJ

Water and plenty of it

Quote Originally Posted by amtoro View Post
    My wife and I ride two up year-round in the south-eastern US except in the hottest part of the summer; we live in Atlanta, where the heat comes with high humidity which usually makes day-long rides very uncomfortable.

Of those who have ridden Death Valley, has anyone been there this time of the year when the temps are already approaching 100?F? My boss lived in Arizona for many years and he says it will be comfortable on the bike as the air is very dry...

Please send your comments, ideas or warnings this way; I want to hear as many opinions as possible.
    I can say this, your boss is one tough guy. I've ridden in DV but it happened not to be that hot at the time. The hottest was between Las Vegas and Barstow Ca. It was 108 to 110 F. Anyway, back to your question.

Most has already been said; take plenty of water and I don't mean just a couple of bottles. Take more than you need; you may need it.

I would buy some high tech cooling gear, cooling vest or whatever your pocketbook can endure.

A small packable nylon sun shade might be good. It's hard to find shade once you hit West Texas. If you did have a breakdown in DV, you would need some shade.

Of course, GPS , compass, etc. you could go on and on, might need a trailer soon.

I've had none of these things on trips except water in the big gallon jugs and did just fine. I kept a gallon sitting in my tank bag and one tied on behind.

Go and have fun.
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

I went thru' Death Valley yesterday. Highest was 114 degrees. No big deal really. The big item was the wind.
    Coming thru' Panamint Valley the wind came very close to blowing me over sideways. I was down to real low angle to hold it down and it almost flopped me out. Maybe that's it. I was too low, but it was severe. And sand storm also.
    Nice today coming over from Beatty to Ely.
    dc

Death Valley is a super ride, fall, winter and spring. What's that saying about mad dogs englishmen and noon day sun. DV is not fun in summer 115-120 degrees are common temps, asphalt has to be 30 degrees hotter