Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: When I started riding....

When I started riding....

We didn't have all these fancy form fitting heated seats. We had a hard, wooden plank bolted to the frame. If you were a wuss, and needed a softer seat, you could get a softwood plank.
    That which the Fascists hate above all else, is intelligence.
    Miguel de Unamuno

When I started riding, the earth was still flat.

We didn't have cell phones; we used two tin cans and a piece of string.

My daddy had to hike twelve miles through the snow just to shovel the driveway to the garage so he could get his bike out. And he duct-taped a piece of carpet over the plank.

Dale Rudolph
    When I started riding [1966].....Gas was 29 cents a gallon.
    When the T.V. quit working, you didn't throw it away. You took the tubes out of it and went to the grocery store to check them on the tube tester. They almost always had the replacement tubes.
    My parents were paying $125 a month for a 2 bedroom house close to the beach in L.A.
    A new VW bug was $1095.
    A new Honda was as low as $300.
    We would cram 3 people into the trunk of the car and all 5 of us got into the drive-in for $2.00.
    The 60's and early 70's were the best times I had.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post

My daddy had to hike twelve miles through the snow just to shovel the driveway to the garage so he could get his bike out. And he duct-taped a piece of carpet over the plank.

Heck, I had to walk 4 miles to school & back, uphill both ways & in snow year round......

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post

My daddy had to hike twelve miles, uphill through snow and across a river to get to the outhouse. Afterwards, with the lightened load, he walked five miles to the garage, wrapped the plank in an old deer hide for the ride to work, in the coal mines.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    My daddy had to hike twelve miles, uphill through snow and across a river to get to the outhouse. Afterwards, with the lightened load, he walked five miles to the garage, wrapped the plank in an old deer hide for the ride to work, in the coal mines.
    Try telling that to the kids of today. They won't believe you...even if it was true.
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

What do you mean, 'even if it was true'?
    You can't believe that a guy what works in a coal mine can afford a property 12 miles by 5 miles, but not indoor plumbing?
    dc

When I started riding, 1957

No one cared that I did not have a drivers license. No one cared that the old Indian Chief I rode smoked and rattled. No one cared that I ran whatever tires I could find in the dump. No one cared that I took small children for rides. No one cared that I rode it to school with my .410/.22 in the scabbard strapped to it. No one cared that I rode across their land, because I never destroyed any crops or fences. No one cared that the helmet and goggle I wore came from my Uncle Jack's as a tank driver in Korea. No one cared what oil I put in it. No one teased me because I did not ride a Harley.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGENT BRICK View Post
    ..even if it was true.
    True? Of course it was true. I also offer investment advice and life insurance policies.

Other than speed, what's the difference between an upholstered board and a Ducati.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    No one teased me because I did not ride a Harley.
    You were driving a Cadillac, why should the Rambler drivers say anything.

Quote Originally Posted by David13 View Post
    What do you mean, 'even if it was true'?
    You can't believe that a guy what works in a coal mine can afford a property 12 miles by 5 miles, but not indoor plumbing?
    dc
    Dad only owned the property that the outhouse stood on. The rest of Grandad Bob's farm was sold to pay for Uncle Sam's surgeries after he fell-off the stable wall while Grammy Daisy was milking their only goat. Until he died, at age 94, Uncle Sam had a bit of that pitch fork stuck in his tailbone.

The outhouse sat between the farm property that Dad rented and the coal mine. The garage was rented from tight wad cousin Lester on Mom's side of the family, he drove a Hudson.

You had a plank? Luxury!
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by martinph View Post
    You had a plank? Luxury!
    It was from the stearage births on the deportation ship that carried Great-Great-Great-Grandfather Seamus from Ireland to Australia. But, a few days out of port, the ship encountered a great storm and the fortunate dregs of the British Empire washed ashore in Newfoundland, just to spite the crown.

If not for that plank and a 1/2 keg of rum, Seamus wouldn't have lived to curse the British, again.
    Last edited by 36654; 04-24-2013 at 12:45 AM.

You're all a bunch of pampered amateurs compared to these 4...........Rod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo
    Work is the curse of the riding class

rambler

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    You were driving a Cadillac, why should the Rambler drivers say anything.
    I remember a "beep beep" or something song from years past. frank P.S. Here are the words to the song. www.eartunes.com/et/audiology-lyrics-168.shtml and easier going time. 1958!
    Last edited by franko; 04-30-2013 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Found song