Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: New F800GS!

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Eugene Or.
    Posts
    41

    New F800GS!

    Hi all, longtime airhead rider here but I'm happy to report I just got home from a 500 mile camping adventure aboard my just broken-in F800GS. A friend and I took a trip to Southern Oregon this weekend and I got the chance to see what it can do. I'm here to report that this is indeed a great bike! A true jack of all trades, I rode Interstate, twisty back-roads, gravel, and a little tiny bit of real dirt and the new steed made easy work of all of it! (Now the real task is learning how to ride dirt/off road so I can really take advantage of this machine's capabilities). I was most impressed but the handling and grip on tight-twisty pavement, my GS came shod with Metzeler Karoo knobbies but they stuck to the road like glue even fully leaned over! This bike is an absolute kick and I'm so glad I took the plunge and got a new BMW.

    My complaints are few but I find the side-stand is really tricky on all but the flattest of ground and the fuel tank is a bit on the small side with mileage so far in the low-to-mid 40s fully loaded.

    F800gs2.jpg

  2. #2
    John
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Aptos, Calif.
    Posts
    172
    Looking at the ground, it looks like you were nervous before you took off on that ride. Cigarette butts galore!!!!! (lol)

    Nice, nice looing bike.....

    Congrats,
    John

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Eugene Or.
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by EvryDayRide View Post
    Looking at the ground, it looks like you were nervous before you took off on that ride. Cigarette butts galore!!!!! (lol)

    Nice, nice looing bike.....

    Congrats,
    John
    lol indeed I hadn't even noticed the butts! Just another lovely local park... Can't wait to get some real adventure photos of the bike dirty, muddy, on it's side, etc etc.

  4. #4
    Registered User andreb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    De Forest, WI
    Posts
    60

    Remember

    The worst thing about my F800GS is the availability of extra equipment from the likes of Touratech, Wunderlich and many other catalogs. There is always some "improvement" one can make and your wallet will not like it.
    Andre Boening
    2010 F800GS and 2012 K1600GT

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    vancouver ,wa
    Posts
    109

    Cool Move smaller

    Quote Originally Posted by bustedknuckles View Post
    Hi all, longtime airhead rider here but I'm happy to report I just got home from a 500 mile camping adventure aboard my just broken-in F800GS. A friend and I took a trip to Southern Oregon this weekend and I got the chance to see what it can do. I'm here to report that this is indeed a great bike! A true jack of all trades, I rode Interstate, twisty back-roads, gravel, and a little tiny bit of real dirt and the new steed made easy work of all of it! (Now the real task is learning how to ride dirt/off road so I can really take advantage of this machine's capabilities). I was most impressed but the handling and grip on tight-twisty pavement, my GS came shod with Metzeler Karoo knobbies but they stuck to the road like glue even fully leaned over! This bike is an absolute kick and I'm so glad I took the plunge and got a new BMW.

    My complaints are few but I find the side-stand is really tricky on all but the flattest of ground and the fuel tank is a bit on the small side with mileage so far in the low-to-mid 40s fully loaded.

    F800gs2.jpg
    T hey do make longer side stands. I get 55 MPG on a F800ST. I went from a R1150R to the F 800st , it is easy riding.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern Front Range, CO
    Posts
    6,434
    turn the handlebars to the right (not the usual left) when you are parked. makes getting it off the sidestand relatively easy.

    at 2600 miles, and at sea level altitude, i got upper 40s on mine. with nearly 30K on it now, i routinely get in the middle-to-upper 50s. Best mileage was returning from Redmond rally, going across I-state in WY... two tanks back-to-back of 71. that was running fully loaded, with 75/25 tires.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Eugene Or.
    Posts
    41
    Took a fantastic ride over to the Oregon coast today, record high temperatures meant it was actually T-shirt weather where there is typically fog and drizzle. To those of you coming to the International Rally this year set aside at least a day to explore the coastline and highway 101, usually it's a bit chilly but always beautiful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    07 R1200GS Rich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Killdeer, ND
    Posts
    1,153
    Congratulations on the nice looking ride. How does the windscreen work? Turbulent free? It looks like it would give the rider minimal protection.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Eugene Or.
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    How does the windscreen work? Turbulent free? It looks like it would give the rider minimal protection.
    As near as I can tell it does nothing at all but what the heck, if I wanted wind protection I'd drive a car.

  10. #10
    Registered User kthflieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Southeast Atlanta metro area
    Posts
    107
    Nice looking machine. I promptly spent $10 at home depot for a piece of 2x2 aluminum to mod the kickstand footprint on my 800. If you ever get up around Hood River, give me a shout...
    "Wer reitet so spaet durch nacht und wind -es ist der Vater mit seinem Kind" -- Goethe
    R1200RT, F800GS
    '80 GL1100

  11. #11
    Novice Adventurer Newstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Landenberg, PA
    Posts
    2,690
    Beautiful bike! Great color! Happy to hear that you love it!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •