Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: MotoGP Austin

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Piedmont area of NC.
    Posts
    723
    Actually all this hanging off the bike , while it looks good , does not really make it go any faster.
    The trick is to get the power on and get the bike up straight as soon as possible.

    As far as lean angle and dragging an elbow, Christian Sarron was doing that in the late 70's or early 80's, so it not a new thing.

  2. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by 40427 View Post
    You must be kidding about Scott ( the worst champion ever) Russell , that neanderthal can barely speak English. Granted his ability to speak has improved in the last couple of years, but for the life of me i cannot fathom who at Speed network decided to hire him.
    I thought the Brit , Green did a great job stepping all over Russell's comments several times .
    Why do you dislike Russell so much? He was 5 time? Daytona winner after all?

  3. #18
    God? What god? roborider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    2,059
    Quote Originally Posted by 40427 View Post
    Actually all this hanging off the bike , while it looks good , does not really make it go any faster.
    The trick is to get the power on and get the bike up straight as soon as possible.

    As far as lean angle and dragging an elbow, Christian Sarron was doing that in the late 70's or early 80's, so it not a new thing.
    Sure, it's not new, but MM does it so well.

    And when you lean off the bike, you shift more weight to the inside. You can counter that weight with more centripetal force, or throttle. Sure, standing it up and gassing it is the goal, but leaning off makes a tighter turn at a given speed. Hanging off doesn't make it go faster, but it allows you to turn sharper.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

  4. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Piedmont area of NC.
    Posts
    723
    Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    Why do you dislike Russell so much? He was 5 time? Daytona winner after all?
    He was a terrible ambassador for the sport. His attitude was as if the world owed him something, his on track behavior left a lot to be talked about. He was often times remanded by the AMA for his antics both on the track and off.

    One year , the night before the Daytona 200 he was in a bar shooting his mouth off , some dude took exception to his mouthyness and beat the crap out of him.
    Funny that none of his handlers came to his rescue.
    He was so beat up the next day he could not race. Yep there's a real role model / champion for ya.

    Then there was the episode where he was stopped by the GA. state police for driving his Porsche at a rate over 150 mph on the public road. When asked why , he said" he was Scott Russell" and had to get to the airport.
    Yea , I'm real impressed by this wanker/loser.

  5. #20
    Cage Rattler wezul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Glen Ellyn, IL
    Posts
    3,527
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    5 foot 6 inches, 129 pounds. Essentially my stats in sixth grade....
    I get it, the equivalent jock on a thorobred.
    Less load and all that.
    But then it's about the jock isn't it.
    So he's like twenty something, immortal.
    I remember that.
    He F'N carves 'em nice tho really dives in me likey.
    I want that.

  6. #21
    roamingbeemer roamingbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post

    "What I'm really impressed about is that there is some actual RACE talk on this forum. Racing is usually a dead topic here."
    I am also impressed that there is a typically Aussie/European Motogp discussion here. This is certainly turning into an interesting season so far. MM and Rossi are making it interesting again. I wonder when Stoner will announce his return?? I see he is working his way up the V8 Super Car races but I think he may return to 2 wheels someday. BTW, those V8s are pretty exciting races with Nascar type contact but with lots of difficult narrow corners like in GP racing.
    Seek Fun. "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain--and most fools do" BF
    2009 K1300GT, S1000RR sold, F650 sold
    2011 R1200GSA
    2014 Kawasaki DTracker 250 (Chiang Mai Thailand)

  7. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    2,118
    You guys didn't read my comment closely enough perhaps I should have expanded it a bit...

    Yeah, I too find Russell's manner of speech odd, putting it in unoffensive terms. But I've also spent so much time traveling the globe listening to people speak English with varying degrees of proficiency and pretty much any accent you can imagine. So my brain tends to "dial out" accent and proficiency and focus on the message. Was not making any comment on his prior antices, only on what he said at the race.

    I stand by my comment that he said a number of clear and crisp things things that explained specifics of race action for those who don't have the experience to have an intuitive understanding simply from seeing it.

    As for his colleague, I've already forgotten who it was- he was just another sports talking head of which there are a bazillion on various networks- and he had nothing at all inciteful to say that attracted a millisecond of my attention- just the blatantly obvious that pretty much any person with a normal IQ would notice even if they had no idea why it was happening..

    Off the top of my head, I forget whether its the normall Brit WSB or MotoGP commentators who I really disllike. They're apparentloy hired by promotoer as they have literally noting incitieful to say about the racing, equipment or event- and for folks who are native English speakers are even less intelligible than a young Japanese student trying out his first English conversation with a ntive speaker- talk about what not to be proud abouit...It always looks like they're commenting while watching a tape rerun- they often don't even notice positiion changes quickly...

  8. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by 40427 View Post
    He was a terrible ambassador for the sport. His attitude was as if the world owed him something, his on track behavior left a lot to be talked about. He was often times remanded by the AMA for his antics both on the track and off.

    One year , the night before the Daytona 200 he was in a bar shooting his mouth off , some dude took exception to his mouthyness and beat the crap out of him.
    Funny that none of his handlers came to his rescue.
    He was so beat up the next day he could not race. Yep there's a real role model / champion for ya.

    Then there was the episode where he was stopped by the GA. state police for driving his Porsche at a rate over 150 mph on the public road. When asked why , he said" he was Scott Russell" and had to get to the airport.
    Yea , I'm real impressed by this wanker/loser.
    I was aware of the "bar" incident. A friend was there, he said Russell was talking about the H/D race bike, and it's problems. My friend said? more than one guy started after Russell because of his remarks , and that Russell held his own for a a-bit. He [my friend] never mentioned handlers?

    I wasn't aware of the other issues you pointed out.

    Not making excuses but allot of guys, in all sports at that level have ..."attitude" I guess it's that star power thing ?

  9. #24
    Left Coast Rider
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    1,019
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    Sure, it's not new, but MM does it so well.

    And when you lean off the bike, you shift more weight to the inside. You can counter that weight with more centripetal force, or throttle. Sure, standing it up and gassing it is the goal, but leaning off makes a tighter turn at a given speed. Hanging off doesn't make it go faster, but it allows you to turn sharper.
    Agree on all points with a clarification on one. Using this style will allow one to go faster around any given corner (RE-EDIT: I see you said the same thing on a previous post). Its why the racers do it. You'll notice that Marquez' cornering style has his head virtually beside the gas tank. Contrast this with Hailwood from the '60s, Schwantz from the early '90s and then Rossi/Lorenzo. Interesting to say the least.

    On the subject of Scott Russell...I quite enjoyed his commentating. Americans murder the English the language in weird and wonderful ways but so does anyone from Scotland . I was thoroughly entertained by Russell's insight as well as his accent, eh.

    The Brit commentator with Russell was Jonathan Green. I didn't find him nearly as intolerable as he is when broadcasting WSB races. And he's a huge improvement on the Greg Creamers and Greg Whites of the world. Gavin Emmet, Julian Ryder and Nick Harris are the English broadcasters one hears on MotoGP.com and they have a tonne (metric) of knowledge and experience behind them.

    Finally...Scott Russell got into a fight while bad-mouthing his Harley in Daytona Beach during Bike Week? The man deserves a medal for bravery!
    Last edited by BC1100S; 04-25-2013 at 06:21 PM.

  10. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Agree on all points with a clarification on one. Using this style will allow one to go faster around any given corner (RE-EDIT: I see you said the same thing on a previous post). Its why the racers do it. You'll notice that Marquez' cornering style has his head virtually beside the gas tank. Contrast this with Hailwood from the '60s, Schwantz from the early '90s and then Rossi/Lorenzo. Interesting to say the least.

    On the subject of Scott Russell...I quite enjoyed his commentating. Americans murder the English the language in weird and wonderful ways but so does anyone from Scotland . I was thoroughly entertained by Russell's insight as well as his accent, eh.

    The Brit commentator with Russell was Jonathan Green. I didn't find him nearly as intolerable as he is when broadcasting WSB races. And he's a huge improvement on the Greg Creamers and Greg Whites of the world. Gavin Emmet, Julian Ryder and Nick Harris are the English broadcasters one hears on MotoGP.com and they have a tonne (metric) of knowledge and experience behind them.

    Finally...Scott Russell got into a fight while bad-mouthing his Harley in Daytona Beach during Bike Week? The man deserves a medal for bravery!
    That's pretty much the way my friend described it. And he said Russell held his own against {I believe} it was three. Until the bouncers broke it up.

    {I} wasn't there, but I know this guy [my friend] pretty well.

  11. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chelsea MA
    Posts
    12
    I agree, it's good to see some race talk on here. I had a blast at COTA a couple weeks ago. I was up in the stands at Turn 1 all weekend. I watched the race online a day later and it was about as boring as all of the races last year, but on site it was incredible. Who's going to Indy in August?

  12. #27
    Left Coast Rider
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    1,019
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchwv View Post
    Who's going to Indy in August?
    Me. Unfortunately Laguna conflicts with the rally this year so I'll be giving that race a pass.

  13. #28
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    4,732
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchwv View Post
    Who's going to Indy in August?
    Me too!
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

  14. #29
    http://www.rd400racer.com rd400racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Me too!

    Me three!


    I've been to every MotoGP and F1 race at Indy. It's a pilgrimage for us. This is our usual crew in our usual spot, right next to the water tower.



    http://www.rd400racer.com/

    2001 Ducati Monster; 1996 R1100GS; 1985 RZ350; 1977 RD400

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •